The Dress - white & gold or blue & black?

It means that you are not in on the mindfuck.

Did you just admit that it was gold and then say it’s not gold and then proceed to insult the people that said it was gold–which includes you–all in the same paragraph?

Pretty much. Once it changes on you, you’ll grab a pitchfork and go looking for witches to burn.

That shit is creepy as hell.

Who cares? I mean honestly.

Who cares about that particular dress? Almost nobody.

Who cares about the relationship between light and the perception of color? Millions of people, from scientists to artists to lay people who are curious about how the brain works. This photo just happens to be a great illustration.

I can wait a year and post a picture of a pair of blue boxers and say they looked green when I bought them and it would start all over again.

It’s a picture of a dress on the internet. Every think you’ve been trolled?

That would just be a poor picture of your boxers, as most likely everyone would agree. It would not be nearly as interesting.

The dress picture is interesting because two random observers perceive very different colors. People assume that color is objective, like length and weight, but it’s actually quite subjective, like recognizing shapes in clouds. The actual color is almost irrelevant.

What? You have not seen me in my boxers. I know a few observers who would agree that it’s interesting. lol.

But being the internet, there are folks who find Blue Waffle interesting.

When I saw the dress, I scrolled past and can’t fathom the interest in this. (I first learned about light and color perception when we were tested for color blindness in elemetary school and more information as I moved into art and such)

There’s a niche for everything, even your boxers. But optical illusions have always been extremely popular. This is a natural example of an optical illusion, which is rare. Even if you aren’t interested it should come as no surprise that millions of others are.

It’s not an optical illusion, it’s an overexposed picture of a dress.

Unless I see the dress itself, not a picture, it’s just another internet troll looking for attention.

Someone made the dress white/green on the board. It could even be photo shopped.

Why? To troll.

Many millions of people, apparently.

Of course it’s an optical illusion. The same image causes conflicting perceptions of color, sometimes even with the same observer. First you see white, then suddenly it looks blue.

Personally, I cannot perceive the dress as white no matter how hard I try. My wife cannot perceive it as blue. Again, the actual color of the dress is beside the point.

Photoshopped dresses, poorly exposed boxers, etc are merely examples of conflict between perceived color and the real-life color. They are far less interesting. Everyone who sees them will describe them the same way.

If you can find a photo with equally strong disagreement over perceived color, please post it!

Because I looked at it and it WAS white/gold. Like 1000%.
Then one minute, it was 1000% blue/black.

I am the same person. I did not have brain surgery and my eyes were not replaced.

“It could be photoshopped!”
So? THE COLORS STILL CHANGED ON ME BEFORE MY EYES. And not because I looked at it funny, it actually changed - permanently. The photo is the same fucking photo it always was.

Obviously you haven’t had that happen, but if you do it’s a complete mindfuck.

There is a nifty 2:30min video on youtube that explains what is going on. Paraphrasing heavily, basically #whiteandgold folks’ brains are interpreting the image as being taken in bright sunlight (which is blue-tinted), and the color assumptions are adjusted accordingly casting the “white” dress as slightly blue-tinged. #blueandblack folks’ brains are interpreting the image as being taken in indoor orange-ish fluorescent light, thus it is taking the blue and black and washing them out a bit. We are all interpreting it differently because it is a horrible picture, and there isn’t enough information in the picture for our brains to figure out the real conditions.

In the video, they show a traditional optical illusion about color perception that reinforces the above. I’m pretty happy with their explanation.

In other news:

Tattoo Time!

Ah, Texans.

I don’t think it’s a perception thing. It can’t possibly be. It’s an image manipulation thing. That’s the only explanation I can come up with. I left one tab open with the first post of this thread, and I look at it at different times of the day. Most of the time it’s White and Gold, and then sometimes I come back to the computer and it’s blue and black. As far as I know, I didn’t reload the page, but I’m wondering if somehow the page got reloaded because of a script I’m allowing to run or some such thing. I haven’t figured out what the hell is going on yet.

Exactly. The effect isn’t new, but it’s quite unusual to see it so strongly “in the wild”.

A more contrived example:

Both chess sets are the same color.

Jesus Christ!! I’m really getting my mind messed with now. I have no idea what part of the human anatomy that is! Hairy as hell though.

Nice example of this effect at work, but it being in black and white might be a factor, maybe? For instance, I think that in this case, we’re all going to be seeing the exact same illusion.

EDIT: Not that I’m believing that illusion anyway. There’s no way those pieces are the same color. I just hung my very white mouse pointer over both, and…there’s just no way they are the same.