The dumbass internet of things:

The annoying thing is that some iot devices expect to be on the same wireless network as your phone (if you want to use the app for control). Guess that means switching between networks to control the devices (which is still better than the alternative I guess).

This is why I have this camera on its own non-Internet-routing subnet:

This is a pretty wild summary of a paper on security for brain-connected IMDs

oh crap we have our family vibrator on an internet facing segment… that explains a lot…

That’s fine. Unless you’ve also been in the middle of fooling around with your significant other when suddenly Alexa asks you, “Sorry, I didn’t quite catch that?” Talk about things coming to a screeching halt until the microphone off button could be located.

(JPEG%20Image%2C%20205%C2%A0%C3%97%C2%A0246%20pixels)

I’m picturing something like:

“Hi Mom, Hi, Dad. Can I please borrow the family vibrator? It’ll just be a few minutes. I’ll bring it right back.”

Dad: “No, son. You remember what happened last time you borrowed it, right?”

“Uh, yeah. But that was an experiment. And I told you then that I would never use alternating current again.”

“Oh, all right. Honey, give it to him.” Looks at son sideways. “It’ll just be a few seconds now…”

This isn’t necessarily IOT, but it’s definitely dumbass.

Subscription based routers.

It’s just a router… But you need to pay a $60 annual fee, or it stops working. Because… Reasons?

Oh, or you can pay $200 for a lifetime membership! Which will probably end up being about 8 months, since this company is totally going out of business.

This is quite possibly the stupidest idea since Juicero.

Juicero is dead, but the raw water stuff their founder was into is still around which basically means there will not only be more idiotic products to come but someone will actually invest in it.

I think I’d nominate this thing as well:

https://www.smarthome.com/quirky-ge-egg-minder-smart-egg-tray.html

Ha yes. At some point it will just be cheaper to pay for a full-time maid.

14 eggs? That seems like a bizarre number. For when you keep buying 12 and then have 2 left over when you buy another 12. haha.

The whole thing sounds like a joke product in an SNL sketch, but it was very real. I’ve seen it in stores that are not Spencer Gifts.

Seriously though, who has trouble managing their egg inventory? And who would think this is a thing people need? So weird.

Speaking as a person with a lot of experience in buying eggs (I’ve been doing it my whole life!) I often buy a new dozen before the old ones are gone, so it’s nice to be able to store the 12 you just brought home along with the veteran eggs you still have.

Speaking of dumbass internet things: WeMos are a pain in the butt. Reset my router, now both my mini plugs don’t work. Won’t connect to WiFi, app crashes constantly etc. I think I have to decouple my 2.4 and 5ghz bands, but I am not doing that just for switches. As much praise as WeMo gets, set up with them has always been a nightmare for me.

Do you have a number though, like do you do that when you only have 2 left, and it’s always 2? 18 seems like a better number, either because you buy when you are down to around half or so of the old cartoon or because you buy 18 at a time.

I switched from Wemo to TPLink myself. Way less problems but… Amazon makes random updates to Alexa and sometimes it just stops working. Then Amazon support says they are aware of the issue and hours later, works again.

Its entirely possible to do this. Leave the new purchase in the box they came in until you are ready to use them.

I want to know who the madmen are that move every egg they buy from a carton into …a different carton, but built into the fridge. Just put the store carton into the fridge like a normal human.