The dumbass internet of things:

So after decades of service, the old fridge died and I got a new refrigerator, and it’s kinda crazy how far fridge technology and design has come in 20+ years. So many different ways to access and store things. It’s an LG and it has wifi, so for shits and giggles I decided to hook it up to my network to update the firmware and see what it does.

I’m now at work. Looking at the LG app. It’s telling me my refrigerator is at 37-degrees and the freezer is at 0-degrees.

That is such a game changer. /s

I bought a new dishwasher recently, and the reviews I was reading were like “well, this basic model doesn’t have that many features…it’s basically just a box that sprays hot water on the inside”, and I was like “uh…what else should it be doing?”

Well now you have a ticking timebomb security hole in your network, so that’s something.

Yeah, I saw they patched a security hole last October. I’ll remove it, but I just wanted to see what goddamn utility wifi offers.

I wish someone would invent a coffee maker with a webcam pointed at it so people can tell from their desks whether the coffee is fresh or not.

So, there are three “new” features that I don’t have that I want with dishwashers.

a) a bottle sprayer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUoTSHnnv-s
b) a third rack for long spoons etc (it removes almost no space) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUK8CrCLFbs
c) adjustable position rack - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjZKVzugxjw

My current dishwasher has a hard food disposer which is nice. I rarely pre-rinse stuff to any measurable degree. I load stuff in when it’s positively filthy and it comes out clean most of the time.

I was going to buy a new dishwasher and did a bunch of research and then my wife convinced me to fix the damn thing instead and for $120 it’s like it’s brand new again instead of the $700 I would’ve spent on a new one.

I was pretty sure you’d kick it off the network actually, since you’re posting that in this thread. :)

Still couldn’t stop myself from making the joke.

Every feature added to a kitchen appliance is just another way for that appliance to break down.

To repair a modern day fridge, do you call an electrician, or IT?

Neither, you call an appliance repairman. And then listen to him bitch about how “they keep adding all these computers and doodads to refrigerators” and how he’s “going to have to go back to school soon and get a degree to work on these things”.

I’m sure the guy who serviced the box where you kept your daily delivery of ice said the same thing.

But how will you know you’re almost out of milk if your refrigerator doesn’t email you to tell you you’re almost out of milk what am I a caveman?

Real talk: I would 100% buy a refrigerator that could track shit I had/didn’t have and build me a grocery list. We aren’t there and so none of this other half-assed stuff interests me, but as soon as they make that dream happen I’m a customer for them. I’ll wifi all of my appliances when they do that.

A refrigerator that did replenishment would be kind of amazing if it could be smart enough to know that there are things I want once in a while, but not always.

“You haven’t bought Mallomars in 9.5 months. Maybe you want some?”
“Stupid machine…actually, yeah, I do.”

Pair it with a smart thing like Echo or Google Home and then it will say, “Order placed” right after that.

Sounds like heaven. Sign me up.

Also let me re-sign up for weight watchers in advance because I’ll be needing that too.

I’ve heard of fridges that have internal cameras, so they can monitor stuff like your milk level, and then order delivery of new milk.

This LG is not one of those refrigerators. It tells you the temperature.

No. He said, “Wiseguy eh? Why I oughtta…”

Modern dishwashers are designed to use suprisingly small amounts of water to clean the dishes. An more importantly, my wife was quite insistent that we have a cutlery tray. It’s actually quite useful compared to the cutlery basket that was in our previous dishwasher. It allowed for more stuff to be loaded.

How about a refrigerator that tells you the leftovers you forgot about because they got shoved to the back of the fridge now are growing penicillin?

Our biggest fridge problem is we end up throwing away too much because we don’t get to it soon enough. We cook a lot and always have leftovers and a lot of fresh produce and fruit in the fridge. Stuff gets hidden and forgotten about as a result. If they can come up with a fridge that helps with that it would be a nice feature.

Yeah, that’s our main issue as well.

A reminder that we need to get to that salad bag we bought on Sunday, or the oranges from last week that are sitting in the bottom drawer might actually be helpful. Much more so than making a shopping list for us, or keeping track of eggs.

What if my refrigerator had a robot hand and instead of telling me my leftovers are bad, it grabs them and puts them on a get rid of me shelf or in a built in garbage bag just waiting for me to take out. Oh, and if it is a purchasable item, adds it to my shopping list. I’d ask my fridge to go shopping for me but that might be a step too much, until Alexa gets involved.

You could just use any hands-free home assistant (Alexa, Google Home, Siri, etc.) and easily set your own reminders.