The dumbass internet of things:

Ah, there’s your problem.

But seriously, I agree app control of household IoT should only be the secondary means of doing so. In some cases providing any remote administrative control whatsoever is nothing more than a security nightmare waiting to happen, and in other cases it’s just awkward and annoying.

I believe there are physical switches and/or separate display panels that you can install on the wall to do that stuff.

Yep. Hue at least sells a physical unit with buttons for scene changing. You can also cycle through scenes with the on button with the dimmer switch.

Thanks, I’m looking at them now. They got a $25 battery powered one, or an interesting $50 that claims to use kinetic energy. I guess it’s a piezo or something that charges an internal battery/capacitor?

Wait wait I’m supposed to be complaining on this thread and not encourage more iOT fuckery. [ PRODUCT LINK REMOVED]

After 10 years of buying apps and dumb IOT things, I now know not to waste any time on the apps-side of any of this IOT-Internet-connected-schlock:

• the app may be insecure, poorly written, by an outsourced developer, with hardcoded credentials/back doors for all we know
  • or the app may be never updated, or never updated to support device updates/OS updates
  • support for the app or its APIs will get deprecated/eliminated by hardware/device changes or operating system updates
  • with ios may be unable to load/install/sideload app if it’s yanked from the walled garden of an app store

I kinda wonder if there will eventually be a fridge that can detect off-gassing, buildups of acidic compounds in milk, etc. to actually just know when food’s gone bad as opposed to relying on either a human or an AI-cam to guess based on food-placement-date (which is what I initially thought the egg carton thing that kicked off the recent discussion might do, weighing the eggs for slight changes or something).

Cuz that would be cool as fuck.

Also cuz I buy lots of Walmart milk that expires way before it’s BB date :(

I can’t see why not. There’s probably a number of ways this could be handled. Perhaps the IR signature changes for milk or other food that has gone bad. Those sensors are super cheap.

That would be cool, I agree.

Edit: looks like there’s some movement on the sensor side of things already.

https://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/secrets/smart-cap-can-identify-when-milk-spoiled

I’m sorry Dave. No more chili for you. The methane content of your home is at dangerous levels.

Google already has that covered!

That reminds me of a joke. I’ve got to find it now.

Are you sure it’s not your leaky fridge causing the milk to spoil early? That turned out to be the case for me once.

Ah! Not a toilet, but funny.

One day Bill complained to his friend that his elbow really hurt. His friend suggested that he go to a computer at the drug store that can diagnose anything quicker and cheaper than a doctor.

''Simply put in a sample of your urine and the computer will diagnose your problem and tell you what you can do about it. It only costs $10." Bill figured he had nothing to lose, so he filled a jar with a urine sample and went to the drug store. Finding the computer, he poured in the sample and deposited the $10. The computer started making some noise and various lights started flashing. After a brief pause out popped a small slip of paper on which was printed: “You have tennis elbow. Soak your arm in warm water. Avoid heavy lifting. It will be better in two weeks.”

Later that evening while thinking how amazing this new technology was and how it would change medical science forever, he began to wonder if this machine could be fooled. He mixed together some tap water, a stool sample from his dog and urine samples from his wife and daughter. To top it off, he masturbated into the concoction. He went back to the drug store, located the machine, poured in the sample and deposited the $10. The computer again made the usual noise and printed out the following message:

“Your tap water is too hard. Get a water softener. Your dog has worms. Get him vitamins. Your daughter is using cocaine. Put her in a rehabilitation clinic. Your wife is pregnant with twin girls. They aren’t yours. Get a lawyer. And if you don’t stop jerking off, your tennis elbow will never get better.”

Actually not the worse idea. Urine and stool specimens are commonly collected but usually in a… well cleaner way.

Yeah, imagine if you got a discount on your health coverage if you opted in to these sorts of devices that passively monitor your health.

PS - Apparently Kim Jong Un brought his own toilet to Singapore to prevent people from being able to examine his excrement.

I think one of the biggest wastes in the health industry, is time wasted. Yes there are costs but there is really no reason for me to have to have a complete office visit, wait in line, to pee in a cup. Also, unless you get the first appointment, the physicians are often behind, sometimes hours behind. So for things that are not drug tests, why not get more in home or self-collect data?

Good reasons to wait for the FOSS community to start developing stuff. Maybe you can jailbreak your fridge?

I have been trying to reboot my crapper all day… forgot my github passwords so I couldn’t patch to the new release and my poop swiper drivers aren’t authorized anymore. I don’t want to have to upgrade my hardware again since I just invested in a license for a 3rd party TP dispenser app which they haven’t ported to the new dumpkernel 3.1.4a. Instead I bought a shovel.

(found chiseled on a stone tablet in the wastes of 2055)

The trick is to buy organic milk. At least here in NYC, it’s ultra-pasteurized, so it lasts much longer. Or almond milk, which I’ve come to appreciate recently.

A bit more than dumbass.

What’s that website which used to be out there that linked to zillions of unsecured household webcams and baby monitors? The mere existence of the site ought to be enough to dissuade anyone considering a home system that allows surveillance or control functions of virtually anything on premise.