The Earth is flat: dealing with fringe viewpoints in the pervasive internet era

I watched a bizarre video that covered a Flat Earth conference. The one positive takeaway…however so small though, and this is gonna sounds ridiculous, but…is how they encourage people to question everything and not simply take what someone tells you at face value. You should conduct your own research…in a sloppy DIY kind of way.

I thought their “personal” experiments to prove the Earth is flat were hilarious.

Yeah, it turns out that’s not an unalloyed good and that civilization has progressed to the point where an everyman can’t prove everything that’s known from first principles.

They actually could prove this one themselves with a bit of effort. A dude from, say, Toledo could measure how high up in the sky the North star is, then get in their 1991 Fiesta and drive to Biloxi, and measure it again. Even better, they could map out the stars they see to the south from Toledo, then drive to Biloxi and try to explain how there are new stars in the southern sky that they have never ever seen from Toledo.

Not realistic, because Toledo dude would have to think, and set aside the whole ‘great conspiracy’ mindset - but anyone could do it.

Like the idiot who built his own rocket and almost died.

Oh No Ross And Carrie did a whole unit on Flat-Earthing, and they also tried to find that as the silver lining. Unfortunately, as the pointed out, “question everything” really boils down to “question <things that I want to question> and trust <things that I’ve arbitrarily decided are reliable>”. They’re teaching conspiratorial thinking, not critical thinking.

E.g:
“Question whether the earth is truly round.”.
“Okay, well, for that to be true, there’d have to be a massive, flawless, international conspiracy, also a giant dome or something that makes it look like the sun is going around the Earth that’s powered by alien technology and maintained by some shadowy cabal, i.e. the Illuminati.”
“Yeah, that seems like the simplest explanation. I think it’s that.”

I’d like to see these idiots try and live without all the technology that depends on the Earth being round. Well, actually they’d have to just kill themselves cause gravity itself is a cause of non-flatness in celestial body of our size.

I sort of know a flat Earther who said there is no such thing as gravity. As best as I understand it the ‘alternate fact’ is that the disk of the Earth is accelerating upwards which thus causes us to experience something that seems like gravity.

Having read that I’ll understand if you feel an urgent need for an all day marathon at Curiosity Stream or some such.

Wouldn’t you constantly be getting hit in the head by birds, then?

Birds are a myth perpetrated by the global binocular consortium.

No, it would be pretty much the same as far as birds and airplanes and such go.

Don’t you mean (((gravity)))?

I don’t get this reference, but something about the breathing man’s expression makes me think I don’t want to.

Isn’t like buying a plane ticket and flying in one direction until you get back home enough to do the trick to prove the Earth isn’t flat? What’s their explanation for that?

The world is a disc so you’re just flying around the edges.

Check and mate, round-earthers.

Now that I think about it, old-school JRPG maps are flat squares and they loop endlessly, Maybe that’s what happening… teleportation!

All I need is the airship to test it.

Yeah. The Antarctic is a wall guarded by the New World Order/Illuminati troops. You can’t get near it.

He started off good but then was twisted into an evil, broken form by the dark powers. It’s a subject of debate if he became completely evil or is still capable of good.

I mean, is he ever shown in the script committing a good act to the audience after the evil twist? Otherwise, we MUST assume that not only is he purely evil, but that he is no longer human, and therefore immune to racism and also rabies.