The Elder Scrolls Online

Do want!

… but too expensive. Spent all my coins on loot crates that gave me nothing usefull at all. Should’ve gone the belgian(?) route of banning crates.

Hey all just wanted to let those of you who play that they are having a special giveaway today only. Basically, if you play on one of the consoles, just log-in anytime between 3:00 pm EDT - 11:00 pm EDT and you will get a mount and some loot crates. If you play on PC, you have to connect your ESO account to your Twitch account and watch their “Season of the Dragon” stream (8:30 pm EDT).

To clarify: This is only valid for June 9th, 2019

Here are the deets: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/56409

I believe if you’re on a console you have to kill 1 mob to get credit for the items.

As always, it’s really annoying that console players get a wide time window and an extremely low-effort path to these goodies and PC players have to have a Twitch account and tune in during what will be probably a half hour arbitrary time window that’s only at all approachable in a handful of time zones.

Fuck Twitch.

I’m thinking about a return to ESO after a very long time away. This is a stupid question that’s probably already been asked and answered somewhere upthread, but…

…how do ESO and it’s expansions work on Steam? I own Tamriel Unlimited on Steam, and at some point I bought Morrowwind on the cheap as well, so it looks like I own what is now referred to as the “Standard Edition” on Steam. I see that I can purchase the Elsweyr Upgrade and add that content, but it appears that Summerset is no longer an option to purchase separately, and neither is the “Gold” version content, with the smaller DLCs. Are these now only available via the in-game Crown Store to unlock on my ESO account?

When I played, I played a box copy of Tamriel Unlimited and logged directly into the ESO servers. The Steam copies of the base game and Morrrowind that I own I actually purchased after I’d quit playing. I assume that after I launch the Steam version of the game, it will take me to the ESO servers, where I can use my old ESO account to simply login like I used to, and that my old characters may still be there?

The only thing you absolutely have to own on Steam is the base game, because Steam won’t let you play the Steam version without that. Beyond that, it’s all the same servers, characters, and upgrades. You can (and I did) get expansions and other DLC outside Steam and apply it to your overall account without a problem. Steam just won’t be aware you own it.

As far as how you can purchase Summerset and the previous DLC bundle now that Elsweyr has hit…definitely in game. There may be other sources, I dunno.

Your old characters should still be there. When I played for a while last year I logged in after a good 4 or so years of inactivity and everything was just as I left it.

Awesome, thanks guys!

I’ve taken a break from PvP for the last 4 or 5 months. I was really looking forward to this announcement but I’ll be honest, for a PvP player it’s not much to write home about. I really wanted a new weapon line that was sword and rune for magicka melee players. Instead it looks like archaeology. If the player test server patch notes come out and they nerf the Caluurians set (they dropped a hint in the Update 25 note) then I’m hanging up the boots (and stupid flame staff). At least I made Alliance Rank 50 and got to terrorize people for a good 5 or so years.

Don’t let this negativity drive you away if you enjoy the PvE. It’s still a great game for that. I can understand where there priorities are. It’s funny because I only play Conan Exiles PvE solo so I appreciate it when a company delivers there. I couldn’t imagine doing PvP on Conan. The griefing is unreal. But ESO pvp is very structured. We’ll see I guess. Just venting I guess.

Is that a giantess? They’re a playable race?

No I think that is one of the story characters called Lyris Titanborn. Voiced by the lovely Jennifer Hale, who I still remember from Scooby Doo and the Hex Girls. Really great voice actor btw.

ESO is celebrating 6th year anniversary and having tons of sale. I have not tried the game and is tempted to get the Standard version. It doesn’t seem to me that I need a monthly subscription to play, does it?

It is not mandatory, but it gets you crowns, access to all DLC while subscribed, and an infinite crafting material bag that is very nearly mandatory. Actually so, if you want to craft.

its a great game - try it out at and see if you like it! But yeah, the crafting bag you get from subscribing is more or less needed these days.

I guess these crafting stuff is only useful at higher levels. I will see if I will reach there at all before deciding :)

Well, obviously it all depends what you want to get out of the game. I couldn’t be bothered to craft anything and there is SOOO much content included in the base game already, that the subscription zones are irrelevant.

I’ve sunk 260 hours into this game, which is a HUGE time investment for me (I’m not used to playing grindy MMOs), but I’m guessing that would still classify me as a “beginner” player in this scene.

Basically the levelling is soooo slow that it might as well not exist for me. While fighting you have 2x5 active action skills that you can use to fight and these level initially before quickly remaining flat for the rest of the game. After that you get a dripfeed of points to increase a miniscule 1% growth in one 72 possible stats. So if you’re not willing to invest at least a magnitude of my 260 hours, you might as well ignore it and just run around hitting things.

So, I don’t think the monthly fee is necessary and the basic game is enough to play. Once you’ve played all the initial maps (after 150 hours?), you might consider an expansion pack to get a few pretty new maps to run around in. If you’ve finally covered all of those, you could consider the subscription stuff…

The story content really is quite good. As above, crafting bag is a huge quality of life bonus, but if you’re not crafting not all that necessary. If you just want to get the base game and play the story content, there is oodles of quality fully voiced stuff to do and experience.

The levelling is fine, but a little hard to grok initially, since you are always scaled to ‘max’ level. What this means in practice is that you can go everywhere and do everything (good), but you need to keep an eye on your gear and make sure it is generally pretty close to your character level, otherwise you outlevel it and do less damage (your weapon damage goes down the more outlevelled you become, which is initially counter-intuitive).

Great game, I have 450 hours and one level 50 CP100 toon, all solo and barely scratched the surface of base content, let alone all the expansions up to Eslweyr.

I don’t get why people say ‘It’s not Skyrim’. I think if you liked Skyrim, then you’ll like ESO. Combat is a little bit MMO’y in that it doesn’t feel weighty, but it’s more interesting, I think, than GW2. Only general complaint I’d have is that it is mechanically pretty DOT heavy.

Oh yeah, and if you get it, it will probably just plonk you down with not a lot of direction on how to start the actual original story content. Just google how to start the main quest and get on your way - that will begin to take you through various zones and stuff, though you can just as freely head out and explore.

Thanks for the tip. The game does have a lot of Skyrim feel to it at the graphic level and that’s a good think. Skyrim (and therefore ESO), is beautiful. If they don’t have Online tagged to the title, I wouldn’t think that this is a MMO game, granted, my MMO experience is limited to Wow. There are tons of things to read, lots of lore, which is what I like from Skyrim too and yes, sometimes it is just too much especially if you are in a party with friends and they just want to get the things done. I will have to find out if I can read those notes, scrolls and books again in my quite time.

I just completed one random quest - about this merchant and his brother who tried to convert prisoners into some stone workers in a mine - and this random quest turned out pretty long! I am glad it wasn’t a grinding game (farm 10 items in this location) like Wow and if all the quests are tied together in a nice story like this one is, I will want to spend more time on this game. Looking forward to an enjoyable game during this Covid-19 work/play from home.

The John Cleese voice work is worth the price of the game on its own. ESO is great if played as a single player RPG, great story, great voice acting, and a lot of freedom. You can take off running in any direction and find something to do if that’s what you enjoy, or just follow the main story.