The Elder Scrolls Online

Thanks!

You’re welcome. Let me know if you want to run any dungeons.

Have a 50 dragon knight, 21 sorcerer, a 20 night blade, and a 15ish templar.

I’m up for dungeons or anything else. Though, I am only level 5. So far, the PvE is much more enjoyable than GW2 and Wow, which I find very frustrating.

So I started the Dark Brotherhood line aaannnnnnndddddd I’m digging it. However, I got stuck on that first mission to sneak into someone’s estate and kill 'em. They’re behind a door, and I’m out of lockpicks. AWESOME.

I’m also thinking of switching characters for a spell, something I don’t usually do. I’m having so much fun in LOTRO as an archer that I created a Khajiit archer and am gonna try 'em out. The sorcerer here just…doesn’t feel as powerful/fun as the battlemage in single player elder scrolls games.

You don’t skip dialog do you, Brian? You are specifically told that the dude you’re after is very security conscious and you should bring a bunch of lockpicks.

I HAD A bunch of lockpicks and used 'em all because I’m a wizard that sucks at picking locks, son. :P

What is the current opinion on getting the Guilds and Glory DLC? I have the base game, is it worth picking up the DLC pack while the crown sale is still going on?

I just started playing and have a few noob questions.

If I want to try a bow and duel weld, I just need to get two single handed weapons and a bow? That will let me select those weapons attacks? Is there a way to switch between a bow and duel?

Should the first few attribute points be put into health? I am going to try a Stam Sorc with bow/duel. When I try to search the internet on some basic choices to start it is quite overwhelming and I do not understand the lingo yet to know what everyone is talking about (and I have watched some of the tutorial suggested here already). : )

Are there any Addions that are recommended for a beginner? This is also hard since it seems a lot of them are not updated when I tried to research in my own. Where is best site to find the best updated addons?

Some answers!

• Almost all stamina DPS specs are Dual-Wield/ Bow, so those are good choices. You’ll get the ability to equip two sets of weapons and swap between them at level 15. For now, just use whatever you find
  • Eventually, you’ll put all your attribute points into stamina, getting health from food buffs, enchants, set bonuses and champion points. For now, feel free to balance health and stamina. It’s cheap to respec attributes.

The best site for addons is ESOUI. Use their addon manager, Minion. It’s terrific. For a new player, I’d start slow, but here are some great ones:

My main is a stamsorc. They’re goofily overpowered right now. You picked well :)

Thanks a bunch!

I did not realize that I had to wait to lvl 15! I thought i was totally messing things up.

I have been playing for a bit now; completed the starting quest. I have to say the quests are a lot of fun. I am looking forward to grouping once I am higher level and have a handle on what I am doing.

Couple more questions:

If I am Duel Wield does it make sense to equip a training shield for a bit? I have been watching some videos on the game and I thought I heard someone say to equip items even if it is not in your class to earn the skill or something (probably it was Deltia’s channel).

(It was equip other combat skills by putting it on the combat bar rather than the weapon itself. But I think you have to have the weapon equipped to be able to place those skills on the combat bar).

The quickslot is a bit difficult during combat. Not sure if I am doing it correctly. When I hold down Q a wheel comes up - is that the way to set what the Q button fires off or am I supposed to grab one of the potions on the wheel (that is what I have been doing but it feels clunky)? I am hoping there is an easier addon.

I have been trying some different Addons too. My biggest problem is figuring out where they should all appear on my screen! Bless the people who created the minimap addon (and the skyguard, quest, and lore book icons addons too). I would be lost without that! I am also trying out FTC but do not have a handle on everything that is going on in combat yet but I am sure that as I gain experience it will prove useful. Are there any other combat addons that might work well too?

How do you decide what should be used as your ultimate?

I got a bit bored with my sorcerer – I might respec him if I can – so I tried my Kajhiit archer last night and am having a lot of fun. Usually I stick with one character in ES, but I seem to be breaking that rule. :)

More answers:

• It makes sense to learn multiple weapon (and armor) types, so you can be flexible. If you think you may want to tank someday, then use a shield sometimes. One easy way to do this is to equip weapons (and skills) you want to train just before turning in quests.
  • Whenever you gain experience, it applies to all skills on the active bar. It also applies to the weapon line of whatever weapons you have active. If you have skills from that weapon line on the active bar, that increases the amount of experience that weapon line gains, as well. Finally, you gain experience in armor lines for the types of armor you are wearing, proportional to the number of pieces of each type
  • When I am growing alts, I usually know what their primary weapons, armor and skills will be. But I still develop other skills by using the “slot them/ wear them before turning in quests” trick. I usually have ‘Quest Turnin’ settings for my wardrobe and skills addons, so I can swap them in quickly
  • The base UI quickslot is a freaking disaster. There are several alternatives. AUI, which I linked upthread, will allow you to build a more traditional MMO hotbar for your consumables. AUI also covers 98% of what FTC does, so you shouldn’t need FTC until you’re trying to optimize DPS for endgame
  • For ultimates, most sorcs (stam or magicka) use Overload on their back bar. That’s because toggling Overload gives you access to a third skill bar. This is a trick unique to sorcs, and it lets you keep all those utility skills loaded. For the main bar ultimate, Meteor (Mages’ Guild) is probably the most popular for magicka sorcs, while stamina sorcs almost always use Flawless Dawnbreaker (Fighters’ Guild). The new Destro Staff and Dual-Wield ultimates are also really good.

Glad you’re enjoying Tamriel!

Question about weapons and armor.

When should one upgrade especially if I am using training armor or weapons? Is a level 6 training weapon better than switching to a level 8 weapon (if I am level eight?).

If one purchases the Imperial City DLC does that include the items that the Imperial Upgrade has? It is a bit confusing. I am thinking that it may be worth to purchase the upgrade to just have a horse for every character that I create and maybe the Imperial for creating a Templar Tank.

Is there a downside to playing on a couple of alternates at the same time? I ask because I was reading that champion points can be affected by having alternates if you do not already have a maxed out character? (I still am not sure what champion points are yet). : )

Edited:
I had asked if there is a way to increase bag size and learned there is a bag merchant that can do that.

I would think you should upgrade your weapon whenever you find one that’s better than what you have.

As for the DLC, I am pretty sure the imperial account upgrade is not the same as the Imperial city DLC. The Imperial city DLC is a PVP area from what I understand, and the other upgrade gives you the new race, the free horse, and the any race/any faction ability. Do note that when you get your free horse and right click it… Or whatever they tell you to do… It is added to your collections which is an account – wide listing of items. So when you make a character after that, you just look in the collections and select it to use it.

Once you get a horse you can then pay 250 gold once a day to improve its stats. You do that by visiting a stable master. Note that the horse training is separate for each character. So getting a horse in ESO is almost as annoying as having a pet in real life!

Champion points are the points you get when you keep adventuring once you have a max level character. If you’re just messing around with different characters to see what they’re like, I wouldn’t worry about champion points.

Quick correction: Mounts do not have stats. All mounts are skins, 100% cosmetic. Each character has riding stats, for how fast he rides, how much stamina his mounts have and how much they can carry.

If you want a mount for each character, the Imperial Upgrade (which is distinct from Imperial City) will do that. But you can also do that via the crown store, so if there’s a mount in there that you like more than the white horse, you might get that instead. All mounts are account-wide (again, they’re just skins. The skills are character-specific).

Geewhiz, as Charlatan said, upgrade your weapon as frequently as you acquire better ones (more damage). Armor is not nearly as important. And play alts if you want to. Eventually, you will want to pick one character to push to and past 50, but there’s no harm in seeing which type of character suits you best.

That’s nice to know about mounts since I just bought one for my Kajhiit and was worried I’d have to retrain 'em.

You do have to retrain him, unfortunately. If you’re in it for the long haul, I’d suggest starting a character of each class and train their riding skills each day.

Brian – mounts don’t get trained. They’re cosmetic, with no stats whatsoever. Each character gets trained in various riding skills.

If it’s a crown-store (or crown-crate) mount, that skin is account-wide. Mounts purchased in-game for gold are only available for that character.

Oh, whoops, sorry! I blame lack of coffee.