The Elder Scrolls Online

I have found the subscription fee to be a very good value, but it’s reasonable to see how much you like the core gameplay before deciding for yourself ;)

The subscription is amazing! I’d play around with the game and if you like it initially, go for the ESO Plus subscription. The crafting bag is a godsend for someone like me who can’t pass up a harvesting node or an unopened barrel. :)

Yeah, if you go down the crafting rabbit hole, the sub is a must. That crafting bag is awesome…it’s infinite and the massive number of crafting supplies get dropped into and used from it automatically.

Also you get a little gold & XP bonus and a large crafting XP bonus, which is always nice.

By the by, I don’t believe this is true. Once they went to basically the buy-to-play model, there’s no free month of ESO Plus. At least I don’t remember that working for me.

I only played ESO during the beta, never retail. So I try and create an account, but I can’t since I apparently have an account. I have no idea what my password is, so I try and reset it. Then it asks me a security question and I have no idea what the answer is with no recourse.

I did open a support ticket under the lost email account type, and that was several hours ago. Is this something that will take days to resolve or do the tend to respond quickly?

Not sure on response time, but you can always start up a new gmail account or whatever yah?

Ill do this tonight if I have not gotten a response by then.

I suggest that because I’ve lost count of how many times this exact situation has happened to me lol.

I did create an account for a new email address. I never got a response from the ESO people on my original inquiry / support ticket. I did get a survey on how well they resolved my ticket. Needless to say, I did not respond kindly.

I started a sorcerer because I wanted a pet class with nukes. At first is was OK, but then the pets just stopped holding aggro. I was fine with one mob, but more than one, and I started dying a lot.

I then started a DK using plate and dual wielding… I have slotted all my powers to also heal me too. I hope this is viable long term. Its a shame they limit you to so few powers you can use at once.

The crafting mats sure suck up inventory space. I am mostly sticking with smithing, but I am also playing with runes, and trying to mess with alchemy, but so far, I have discovered zero potion formulas.

Pets work a bit differently than your standard MMO. In most MMOs, the role of pets is to reliably taunt and do some damage while you nuke/arrow them to death. In ESO, they always seemed to me to be supplementary and aren’t intended to hold aggro. So even while playing a pet-heavy spec, it’s going to be important to hone your (player) skills in survival: dodging, blocking, and CC/heals (if applicable).

Survival in ESO is a bit different in general and it can take a little while to get the feel for it. Again, unlike most MMOs, you’re not designed/intended to take punches to the face. You need to dodge, block, or better yet interrupt any special/power attacks. These can be seen by gold sparks (block or dodge it) or red sparks (interrupt it) surrounding the mob as it powers up the attack. Also, make sure to roll out of any telegraph on the ground you see.

Update 17 has some cool new systems. Item storage in your house, outfits for cosmetic appearances, and a level-up advisor/rewards system. Neat stuff. No major new content, just a couple dungeons.

Whoa, it really IS now and forever!

Did you by any chance upgrade to a frost staff around the time your pets stopped holding aggro? Because unless things have changed in the past few months (the last time I played, as I’ve been busy), frost damage acts sort of as a taunt.

I do not know. It was not so much one mob, but if I had 2 or more mobs, then things got difficult.

So far, though, I like my DK. He can kill far faster and seems far tougher than my sorcerer.

I do have some questions though:

1. Do mobs scale to your level? I ask this because I seem to see higher level players running around the area I was. There was this anchor thing coming from the sky and there was a level 42 player there fighting the mobs. I also did a bunch of main quest stuff and the mobs always seemed to be my level (not that I can distinctly see my level).

2. What are heroic points and how do you get them? I have seen some mention of them on various builds for character classes.

3. Does ability damage work like it does in diablo 3? For example, I am using dual wielding, and there is the first power, flurry I think, that does 5 attacks, that each do 408 damage. Does this go up with level or equipping a better weapon will improve this?

You are scaled to 50 in all zones regardless of your actual level, as of the One Tamriel update, I believe.

So, if there is a mob that I can’t kill, some coven witch in my case, gaining levels will not really help me beat her?

1. Yes.

2. Do you mean Champion Points? They’re like Paragon levels in Diablo 3. They look like the Perk trees from Skyrim, where you invest points in different constellation looking things.

3. I’d need to verify this, but I weapon skills should scale off of your Stamina stat, as do your light/heavy attacks with all weapons but Staves. I’m not sure if the ability damage itself scales off the weapon, but I would assume so.

Not directly. You’re not going to outlevel the mob, but more levels can mean more skill points to invest and play with. You could focus on upgrading some gear, but other than that it’s going to be a matter of playing the fight better.

EDIT: Also, if you’re not already, eat some food and drink. Food can really boost your max HP by a solid amount.

ESO is much more “mechanics” driven than most other MMOs when it comes to average leveling mobs/quests. It’s not really a game where you can just stand in bad, even with run of the mill mobs. There are a couple of builds that can get away with it, templars for instance, but mostly, you have to work a bit on every fight. It’s also very weird in how skills and abilities work, it’s often very counterintuitive to stuff you might be used to from previous games.

Levels will actually help you defeat things, as you open up more skills, and with a lot of classes, some of the later skills really are a big deal.

ESO is a bit of a strange game to really “get”, but once you do you’ll find it’s a really interesting system. Most people for instance, would look at a “sorcerer” and think, ok, that’s going to be a ranged caster/pet class. You can play it like that just fine, but they also make great tanks/melee characters, one of the best in the game actually. That all has to do with what weapons you use, and how you build the character. My favorite build in the game was a melee sorc, who was literally unkillable and could solo dolems (those big anchor things).

Just keep plugging away, it’s one of those games that’s worth the investment to really figure out what’s going on.

I found that making sure I have my Ultimate ability available for tough fights helps immensely. Ultimates are pretty powerful in this game.