The Elder Scrolls Online

I’ve gone back and forth between Xbox and PC. Addons are definitely nice on the PC side. On Xbox controller works great. Voice chat is fairly commonly used in my experience.

So it looks like there is a sale on the Greymoor expansion on PC.

Am I reading it correctly that purchasing that will also grant you access to the earlier chapters of Morrowind, Summerset, and Elsweyr…but only for the products labeled ‘Editions’ and NOT the ones labeled ‘Digital Upgrades’?

I believe I currently own just the Morrowind Standard Edition on my account.

That’s correct. “Upgrade” only has the latest expansion.

That’s great, thanks!

I only have the Base ESO, not even Elsweyr and I am contemplating the Greymoor Ugrade vs Greymoor Standalone which includes Elsweyr and Summerset. Having been to Summerset during the free one week ESO+ trial, I love how beautiful they crafted that part of the world. I am afraid of content fatique and would like to save a few dollars by just getting Greymoor or am I being too stingy and should just get everything in the spirit of my Steam backlog games?

Maybe this will help: a page that shows you what the different versions provide:

I will never accuse people of being stingy because I’m frugal as hell myself, but in this case I’d strongly recommend getting the standard edition rather than just the upgrade. $5 for two expansions (the cost difference between the standard and upgrade editions) is huuuuge. I bought from Greenman Gaming, and got an extra buck or two off for some reason, and got the standard edition for like $16.50. That’s just insane.

If you buy regularly from them, you gather XP and “level up” which just gives you a small extra discount.

That’s true. I went ahead and bought the Standard Edition. Thanks for the push I needed.

Tons of content to run through this weekend!

ESO continues its rapid update cadence with Gates of Oblivion on June 1st. Great cinematic. It adds companions-- everybody gets a Lydia!

I would watch an Elder Scrolls movie.

I watched the Twitch reveal and it seems they are remaking the Champion skills tree too. You can now “equip” the champion skill that you put points into. I guess it will make each character really unique but I thought it overly complicates the build.

Wow that’s a hell of a trailer.

So champion points are no longer passive? Or they’re adding active ones?

Yeah, ESO cinematics are shockingly good. They don’t compete with Blizzard, but they release like 3x as often.

I didn’t catch whether they will still be passive, but definitely there are some you have to slot to make active.

Instead of having 9 “constellations”, they now have only 3. When clicking each of these 3 constellations, there will be, I forget, maybe 10-12 stars. Each star can be given points unlike the old system where you only give points to a few stars, the other stars unlocked when you have a total of 30, 75 and 120 points.

You can drag these stars that you have given point to into a bar at the top to make them active. There seems to be 4 slots for each constellation.

So…Gates of Oblivion is the name of the overarching storyline, and Blackwood is the name of the actual expansion?

Is there a DLC in the Spring?

Yeah for the past several years they’ve done that. There’s a main paid expansion with a large zone then a dlc follow-up with a smaller zone six months or so later.

I’m more interested in the movie than the game. When does the movie come out?

So I tried this again and got a character to level 13 and now it’s starting to feel a bit tedious. I don’t know why. The voice acting is good. There are a lot of quests. Maybe it’s because I don’t know and have no interest in the lore and don’t really care whether the invaders I’m defending against succeed or fail.

The combat seems a bit lackluster to me so that contributes a bit to my slight boredom with it. I wish I liked it better but if I had to choose between ESO with free to play or subscription WoW, I’d go with the latter. Maybe I’ll give LotR Online or Dungeons and Dragons Online a go.

Maybe try FFXIV if you’re after an MMO fix?
I had a ton of fun with it during lockdown. It has a nice story that pulls you through the levels and the dungeons are well made.