The Elder Scrolls Online

I heard the next Elder Scrolls SP game is iOS only.

Sometimes I just love the internet.

I see some merit to not wanting to have a single player game competing for gamer time with the MMO Zenimax is trying to break even on. I also don’t really expect a new Elder Scrolls game until we’re a little bit into the next console generation so maybe the MMO would have some time to stand on its own anyway.

Truthfully, I would dig an Elder Scrolls MMO more if they went with a world setup like Guild Wars, so a few friends and I could team up and then head out into an instanced world. I don’t want a typical MMO setup for this game, I basically want Elder Scrolls co-op but that’s just me.

It makes sense that they’d stop doing single-player RPGs what with Skyrim being such a disastrous sales flop.

The wide open world of the Elder Scrolls universe may be well suited to an MMO, but that’s about the only thing that it has going for it (my own personal opinion only).

I’ll wait and see what information and screenshots come out while it’s in progress, but honestly, I don’t want my immersion in Tamriel ruined by a host of “Go get me 15 Kagouti skins” quests and towns full of bunny hopping Khajit and Dunmer.

I remain dubious on the whole concept, but am willing to wait and see what they come up with before I pass final judgement.

The main problem I see, is that a game company can’t fullfill the gamer dream of “Skyrim… but multiplayer”. What will be produced will be “WoW … with skyrim hats”. And we don’t need this at all. Plus this will stop / kill the singleplayer serie, that a lot of people love.

Also, we will see people posting “It will be free to play in 2 months”, in the Open Beta thread. And there will be people posting “The servers really need to merge, is not fun to play in a soo empty server” in 1 month and half. And basically is like the Groundhog Day movie. We have live this many, many times, and it always end bad.

I will, for sure. I couldn’t care less if they ever make another buggy, boring SP game, but an MMO set in that world would probably be pretty fun to explore.

too early to tell, I want to see what kind of hooks they planning.

This is absolutely true. This is what is going to happen. This is why I do not understand why MMO developers keep spending the time and money on yet another WoW clone.

Don’t they get that even if the mighty Blizzard makes their next game another WoW clone even they will have a very short-lived experience compared to WoW maybe even in line with every other MMO that has followed the same pattern.

Yes, it might be a wee bit too early to condemn it, but what is the actual probability that this company who is capitalizing on a well-known license will also build a truly new MMO experience? I think the chances are next to nil. Only the developer who has the challenge of nothing going for them other than something truly new will take the chance on a new style of MMO.

I’ve long wanted Elder Scrolls multiplayer, just to roam the world and explore all the cool stuff with a friend or two. An Elder Scrolls MMO, though? Jesus Christ. That sounds fucking awful.

Also, the whole “and then there’s three factions!” already makes me cringe. Not to say that factions don’t exist in the Elder Scrolls world, but lumping players into three factions just sounds (on the surface) very… MMO. Let me guess, there’s going to be battlegrounds too!

The real question is if it’s going to be the much-beloved flail and pray combat of the SP versions or click the dude, press the hotkey combat of WoW, etc.

There is a reason its 3 factions, instead of the normal 2- Its because of the precedent set by DAOC which was one of the most successful pvp-centric mmos.

There will probably be battlegrounds (every mmo has these) but it seems the focus will be on open world battlegrounds instead.

How do you know? They haven’t released anything other than the name. Seriously.

yes they have

Where?

Its right there - in the very first post on this topic - A link to a text that says

An in-depth look at everything from solo questing to public dungeons awaits in our enormous June cover story – as well as a peek at the player-driven PvP conflict that pits the three player factions against each other in open-world warfare over the province of Cyrodiil and the Emperor’s throne itself.

edit: sorry, I baited you a bit there - was just surprised people didn’t read the original statement linked in the first post :-)

Ahh open-world warfare, I missed that.

Theres open world pvp in …humm… Fallen Earth.

eh? There is in Warhammer Online as well and other games as well. What are you saying with that?