The end of YouTube?

There are gaming streamers talking about Depp and Heard so that is showing up all over my gaming feeds.

Yep. During Covid’s early months, there were six weeks where I stayed home from work and I think I watched every puppy rescue video on YT.

Fuck TikTok

Fuck Twitch

Fuck Johnny Deeper and Amber Never Heard of Her

Watch this

And this

And this

And this

And this!

And fuck motherfucking teenagers, who like and care about nothing but lame-ass fucking shit

You forgot to mention your lawn.

Folks, turn off your viewing history. Then you will only get recommends based on your subscriptions (and recent searches.) Way better matches to your interests that way.

It only took me telling the Google News algorithm three times that I never want to see any stories about Amber Heard or Johnny Depp ever again for it to stop serving me this content.

If you do that, how do you go back to the video you were watching? So you watch the first ten minutes, get interrupted, then you come back to it a couple of days later via your viewing history. Also, it lets me easily find videos again so I can send links to friends or post on Qt3.

You can click on watch later to put it in a list of videos that you will hope to get around to watching.

Hah! You folks watch… ah to hell with it.

I watch most my YouTube on my TV and so the options I may have on computer aren’t there.

I can’t enjoy those cuz I’m too much of a skeptic. How exactly did that puppy get into danger??

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/NiftyRawBonobo-size_restricted.gif

Have you guys seen the otter’s kotaro and hana?

Are you familiar with Youtube Shorts? What you’re highlighting is likely a outcome of that program, which is designed to compete against Tiktok

Perhaps that’s something to do with it. It’s probably also that many of the content creators that I’ve watched for years seems to be simultaneously burning out. It does seem like something changed about the algorithm that is pressing Old YouTube creators hard, and many of them are winding down their YouTube presence.

Even without that, the large majority of recommendations on the home page are actually from my subscriptions (which is itself kind of stupid). At the moment it’s five out of eight visible without scrolling (and one of the other three is a video I’ve already watched, having searched directly for it). Yesterday it was six.

Content creation is also exhausting.

I think the larger problem is how heavily it weights watching even a single video. If I watch some comedy short or some alt-right short or whatever, it immediately floods my feed. In some weird way it’s a kind of metaphysical “first sin” kind of algorithm - the moment I step on the wrong path, forever will it dominate my feed.

The generic feed is omg kid trash though. Like, if I knew nothing about what was on YouTube, and I saw the generic feed,I’d shut it off and never look again.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Oh, here’s a puppy in a tied plastic bag on the side of the road just where I’m walking and filming. How convenient. It’s in distress, but first let me set up my video recording device juuuuust right and then I’ll free it.

Well…yeah. Content is not a constant, presented into infinity for our own amusement and entertainment. Like with traditional viewed media on existing platforms such as you might find with television, quality can vary over time even when created by the same persons, and it is likely to come to an end after a while.

It does that a lot. I watched a video on a photography channel I like, except the video was about his camper van. Apparently that is a very popular subject. I am still being flooded with camper van videos a month later despite having no interest in them. I wish there was more tools to moderate the algorithm. Maybe there are some that I don’t know about? I find Google’s setting pages confusing.