The Endor Holocaust

Pretty sure I posted this already, but there’s been NEW DEVELOPMENTS in Endor Holocaust research.

The second Death Star was a sphere of machinery somewhere between 180 and 900 kilometers in diameter (depending on the sources one holds to be authoritative) and it was located very close to Endor’s forest moon when it exploded. Furthermore, given its close proximity and the moon’s relatively Earthlike gravity, it was likely that its geostationary orbit was being artificially maintained. Much of the debris from the explosion would have subsequently rained down on the moon, producing a meteor storm of titanic proportions. The relative tranquility of the region immediately around the former shield generator in the brief celebratory scenes set there after the Death Star’s destruction has been attributed to active deflection of debris from this area by Rebel forces, but the Holocaust’s ecological effects are predicted to be drastic enough that this would provide only temporary respite even there.

If the Endor Holocaust occurred, it would certainly have led to the extinction of Ewoks on the forest moon of Endor. However, it has been established in Star Wars comics and novels that some Ewoks had been removed from Endor in the past for use as pets or slaves, so it is possible that the species itself survived even if the holocaust occurred as predicted. It should also be noted that the Return of the Jedi novelization has stated that the Emperor had issued orders that if the Rebel strike force on Endor’s moon successfully disabled the shield generator the Death Star should immediately destroy the moon itself, so once the shield generator was disabled (with significant Ewok assistance) the fate of Endor was likely sealed.

The two really funny ones:

http://theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html
http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/files/endor/

Hilarious arguments about Imperial or Rebel propaganda, canon or not, impact and mass trajectories, you name it. The highlight, of course, is when the guy in the second link (it’s a pdf!) conclusively proves that the linear deacceleration in the expansion rate of the DS2 fireball was caused by a hyperspatial rift that consumed most of the debris, preventing the Endor Holocaust from occuring. He has REGRESSIONS, for god’s sake.

Did the Ewok movies take place before or after RotJ?

a) The Death Star imploded, watch the movie more carefully.

b) The TFN one was up there as long as I have been going to TFN and just because they added it to Wikipedia now, big whoop.

I’m pretty sure the Death Star faded out while an unimpressive explosion faded in. Several years later a two-dimensional expanding ring appeared for no particular reason.

Oh, and Fuck Star Wars.

Apparently the environmental destruction of Endor is written into some of the expanded universe crap.

:roll:

For no reason? It didn’t appear till years later because it was clearly caught in that hyperspace rift!

I’m pretty sure the Death Star faded out to while an unimpressive explosion faded in. Several years later a two-dimensional expanding ring appeared for no particular reason.[/quote]

Probably appeared because Lucas went, “Oooh…pretty!” when Praxis exploded.

“I’d give real money if he’d shut up.”

-Amanpour

Following Jason’s link into Wikipedia finds the Jedi Prince series, starring…

Ken Palpatine, son of the Emperor!

I’ve never seen it, so it has to be in one of the very recent books by Saxton if it’s anywhere.

The people who are the most ardent supporters of the Endor destruction theory also tend to be the loudest Imperial apologists. They want the Ewoks dead so that they have more ammunition for painting the empire as the good guys.

Anyone who wants the Ewoks dead is a good guy in my book.

I’ve never seen it, so it has to be in one of the very recent books by Saxton if it’s anywhere.

The people who are the most ardent supporters of the Endor destruction theory also tend to be the loudest Imperial apologists. They want the Ewoks dead so that they have more ammunition for painting the empire as the good guys.[/quote]

You gotta admit, the Empire would’ve probably kicked the Yuuzhan Vong’s butts in a couple of months :). Course they woulda wiped out the whole race in the process, but hey, it would make a cool Infinities comic :).

By the way, it’s not in any of the books, you can kind of figure out from what would’ve happened if the Death Star exploded (i say “if” because it imploded instead).

How the fuck did it implode? The reactor core exploded and created a vacuum that…OOPS HAHA IT’S ALREADY A VACUUM IN SPACE. Did some of that weird extraterrestrial gravity that surrounds Coruscant occur above Endor’s moon? Also, where was Endor during all of this?

http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/files/endor/endortruth20040810.pdf
pages 10-15, knock yourself out

http://www.swrpgnetwork.com/files/endor/endortruth20040810.pdf
pages 10-15, knock yourself out[/quote]

I got about as far as “The Wormhole in Darth Vader’s glove” and that was it for me.

Anyone who tries to explain anything about Star Wars with reference to science is an idiot.

What’s next? Is someone going to work out the environmental effects of the flooding of Isengard in the Lord of the Rings?

shrug the implosion is proved through canon means (the movies) and it actually supports the Wormhole hypothesis, not the other way around.

That’s an explosion followed by a gravitational collapse, kids. Not an implosion. Oh, it’s also dumb.

Do you even know what you just typed there? It supports the Wormhole (in DARTH VADER’S GLOVE) Hypothesis. Swell!

Nerds!

Poor Ogre. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.