The EPIK hack is epic

I once encountered a travel company where, for a time, they’d simply assigned frequent travelers a travel program member number that was identical to the customer credit card number, for the convenience of the customer. So the actual record identifier was a credit card number. I know of another where the marketing organization insisted that the business simply had to retain credit card numbers as part of the frequent travel program record, again for the convenience of the customer. It’s stupid, but it’s endemic in some industries. And I’m quite sure the retail industry is similar.

The credit card processors have cracked down on this in the last few years because of the constant news of breaches. I’m sure it still happens because IT moves very slowly in some shops, but it’s on the decline.

That doesn’t even make sense. Most people have more than one credit or debit cards lol

WHOIS data is already public, so Ars is guilty of jazzing up that headline for extra scare factor. They do note that in the article, and then claim it’s newsworthy because some non-customers may be afraid of looking like customers. That’s . . . a bit of a stretch.

Many registrars have gone to private WHOIS entries as part of the data, i.e. looks like this:

Not that it isn’t still a public record, but certain identifying records are now private at a lot (if not most?) larger registrars. As someone listed as a registrant and having to monitor a registrant email for ~400 domains for the last 15 years, it has helped a metric fuck ton with avoiding cold calls and spam.

Regardless, I’m guessing all that would have been public they thought was a big deal might have been a name, email address and possibly a phone number of a business. So … no, not a big deal.

First major hit. Yikes:

" He is the Communications Manager for @DrexelUniv"

Probably not for long.

That scrambling sound you hear is the top brass at Drexell circling the wagons.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/fallout-begins-for-far-right-trolls-who-trusted-epik-to-keep-their-identities-secret/

In the real world, Joshua Alayon worked as a real estate agent in Pompano Beach, Florida…
Alayon’s name and personal details were found on invoices suggesting he had once paid for websites with names such as racisminc.com, whitesencyclopedia.com, christiansagainstisrael.com and theholocaustisfake.com.

He was fired.

Apparently the entire right wing will use the Trump defense for everything - “it’s fake news”. Yawn.

Why not? It worked great for Trump.

The utter incompetence of the far right collective is oddly reassuring.

The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand.

That was such a worthless article. There were 2 sentences stating that they released sensitive documents and other files from the Texas GOP and spent the literal rest of the article talking about everything else that happened already on the leak.

It sounds like daily dot is just trying to get clicks and nothing interesting was actually released.

That account has been suspended. The LinkedIn link goes nowhere (I didn’t even know those accounts could be made private, but that’s one of the reasons it says the link might not work). Is there any reason to think Rod Gibson and Rod Wallace are the same person, or is this yet another example of internet vigilante “justice” missing the mark?