The Ethics of Software Piracy

I think mostly not, it is a gray area. A lot of sellers will include both versions in a package, and the only impediment for you using your physical book as a pdf is buying equipment and using your time to transfer it to pdf form. That seller would not get your revenue if you copy it yourself, so rather than doing that, you downloaded a version?

It is a gray area though, as if they have it available both ways, you should buy it the way they present it, but I think it is a morally gray area, because they are giving you the ability to give them money for something you want, but you are choosing not to. You are choosing not to pay the creator. But, that comes with a caveat, what format is it in? Is it access to a kindle version? Or a DRM free pdf? Are they providing it in a format that works for how you consume media?

I dunno, I typically won’t download TV shows that I own physical copies of, I will create my own digital back-ups using my physical media. But, for a lot of TV shows there isn’t a good way to purchase a digital version, especially one not tied to an ecosystem like Amazon or Apple, which isn’t a “purchase” but more of a long-term rental. I tend to not like purchasing digital copies of shows from platforms because there is a fairly long history of instances where content is removed. (rare for sure, but a possiblity) that makes me not trust these digital storefronts.

I am much happier to purchase the blu ray or DVD myself, and make my own backup. Morally, I feel this is OK, because I am giving the creator money with the purchase of the DVD, and I would never buy a digital copy separately, because I don’t trust that would be available for me to stream forever. I am happy though, when a movie or show comes with a code for the digital version however.

Again, it is a weird area, because I think it comes down to following a personal code. I don’t want to steal from artists, but I also don’t want to be stolen from (buying something that cannot be accessed)

To bring this back to software, Nintendo is only a few steps away from stealing from their customers by closing the Eshop, how much longer will they allow people to download content they previously purchased? Supposedly the systems will still allow you to download previously purchased titles, but how long will that last? We have already seen titles de-listed on various platforms. Well someone may argue that the fine print says they are allowed to do this, it doesn’t change how I feel about them doing this. I have 0 trust in some companies to allow access for games for what I feel is an acceptable amount of time (my lifetime).

I mean, for the Switch, I specifically have only really purchased physical copies of games. I just don’t trust that ecosystem to last a decade from now.