The Everything Else P&R

Nuclear weapons react fine to fire, right?

Sure. They have shielding and stuff, right?

They’d likely be fine. As in they wont go into a fission reaction.

I wasn’t sure where “WTF Journalists?” posts belong so I’m putting this here:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-02/up-is-down-as-candidates-twist-positions-for-the-midterm-finale

“Both sides are lying about their record! The GOP is claiming to stand up to Trump, support preexisting condition protections, and care about the environment. The Dems are doing it too - McCaskill supports the caravan crackdown.” I mean it is practically an Onion-level parody of bothsiderism.

The Statue of Unity is a statue of Indian statesman and founding father Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel (1875–1950) in the Narmada district of Gujarat, India. It is the world’s tallest statue, with a height of 182 metres (597 ft) or about two times as tall as the Statue of Liberty (excluding the pedestal).[2][3] Patel was one of the most prominent leaders of the Indian independence movement, the first Deputy Prime Minister of India, and responsible for the unification of hundreds of princely states to form the modern political boundary of India. The statue is on a river-island facing the Narmada Dam (also called the Sardar Sarovar dam) near Rajpipla, 100 kilometres (62 mi) southeast of the city of Vadodara.

They couldn’t do anything about those white seams?

Damn that’s massive. Interesting they went with this guy and not, say, Gandhi or Nehru, but I guess that just shows my ignorance of Indian history.

How does it compare to Japan’s giant gundams?

Interesting. That’s quite tall. For comparison to fellow Midwesterners, the St. Louis Gateway arch is 630 feet tall (192 meters). This is 597 feet for the statue, and with the base it’s 787 feet, which is quite a bit taller than the Arch.

Gundams are only 18m high (the original RX-72-2, at least, the Unicorn is a tad higher).

I read about that. It is because Nehru and Gandhi and their descendants (including the current leader of the opposition, who is Nehru’s great-grandson I believe) are associated with the Congress party, which ruled India for generations. Modi (current Prime Minister, started the ball rolling for this statue) is from BJP, Hindu Nationalist party, and was looking for a Founding Father that he could separate from the Congress tradition. Modi’s also trying to portray Patel as someone sympathetic to Hindu Nationalism, although historically he was a strong secularist.

Politics aside, I love giant statues. I’m not a big fan of this one, but I do prefer it over the Spring Temple Buddha which is terribly dull. Motherland Calls is still my favorite.

Obligatory wikipedia link.

For those wanting to get the same kick in Skyrim. Even better in VR!

It’s strange, it’s grandiose and shabby, autocratic and uninspiring. It’s like all these monuments and parks that look great on postcards but nobody actually visits.

My heart sinks when i see it, for some reason. It’s hard to feel like it represents the true feeling of the people.

It’s a different sort of feeling than all those crazy giant Buddha statues, some of which seem rather rough and un-Western and hard to find inspiring if you’re not already on the Buddha train.

What is crazy, and hardly ever mentioned, is how many giant statues there are in Asia now, built since the 1990s, and it’s hardly ever mentioned in Western press. Maybe because many of them do seem rather rough.

I do like the Guanyin of Nanshan and the Guan Yu in Jingzhao.

Just in case anyone was doubting the 21st Century was going to be the century of China.

Whelp, it’s election day in the greatest country the entire world has ever known since the dawn of man. Time to go through all these flyers and try to piece together who these people want me to vote for.

Or I could just skip it this year and avoid jury duty.

Do we need a new thread for Celebrity Extremism Derangement Syndrome?

She’s been batshit for years, if not forever. It just bounces around which particular version of batshit.

Total bugshit.

“Everyone says the Poor Americans are the victim of Trump,” she continued. “But you hired him. So fire him. Otherwise you’re complicit. It is the same with all so called Islamic Terrorism. Which is exactly what the devil wants and loves.”

Grasp of reality is gonzo.

Next we’ll see The Sun or the NY Post quoting Billy Corgan or Terrence Howard in order to cast shade on liberalism. Really it’s just that rich, famous people tend to lose some sense of cultural grounding and go slowly insane.

No doubt. Look at Johnny Depp.