The Everything Else P&R

The Guardian, New Statesmen, and other left/centrist leaning blogs have a whole spate of articles on not just the latest story, but how this fits into 3 years of ongoing issues and changes within the party structures and hierarchy.

I read the Guardian every day. As far as I know, they haven’t produced a single quote or deed by Corbyn which could reasonably be called bigoted or anti-Semitic. If you think they have, then point to the story and I’ll happily read it.

(Also, too: You can’t really have it both ways. You can’t keep posting on this topic while also asking people to pretend you’re not posting on this topic.)

That’s an opinion piece which conflates opposition to Israel’s policies with anti-Semitism. Am I surprised to learn that opposition to Israel’s policies is the catalyst which draws claims of anti-Semitism? No, I am not.

What childish claptrap! I’ve got no brief for Corbyn, I just know what a hatchet job looks like when I see it.

That is a disingenuous interpretation of that opinion piece. I don’t know why the previous poster didn’t include a direct link to it, but here you go.

I just read the piece. Seems to me it is saying Corbyn is either stupidly blind or willfully blind, but it doesn’t outright accuse him of anti-Semitism himself. He just doesn’t seem to equate anti-Semitism with racism, which seems at least odd, given that he does apparently have a long history of calling out racism. Not being British, I can’t say I know enough about him or Labor these days to weigh in on it more generally, but I think if what PWK is says about his own situation is true, he should probably just walk away and stick to safer threads.

I read it, and I disagree.

Is there a Manafort trial thread? In opening statements, Manafort’s attorney makes it clear they’ll blame all the bad acts on Rick Gates. They’ll say Manafort trusted Gates and Gates betrayed him and stole his money to boot.

Which of the following things that were stated or implied in the article to be anti-Semitic would you describe as opposition to Israel’s policies?

Just want to be clear on what’s being conflated here.

The piece attributes zero of those things to Corbyn.

People have been using the CIA Russia thread for Manafort stuff, but this particular case isn’t about meddling. So I don’t think we have a specific one yet.

And that certainly a hard-to-believe defense.

I don’t know why, but I expected jury selection and opening statements to take longer.

As you are wont to say, non-responsive. Where is the conflation with opposition to Israel’s policies? The piece does not accuse Corbyn of being anti-semitic; it argues that he does little or nothing about the anti-semitism of his associates.

“Impossible standard of proof” rings kind of true to me somehow.

The first two quotes were from callers voicing opposition to Israel’s policies on an Iranian call-in show. Corbyn did not agree with the callers, and the incidents are included apparently because they are the only incidents anyone can find to tar Corbyn with the anti-semitism brush.

Which of the incidents do you say could reasonably be attributed to Corbyn’s ‘associates’? Is Mary Bain Lockhart a ‘Corbyn associate’? Is Damien Enticott?

There are hundreds of ‘Labour Party Councillors’ elected by their local wards. Do you think Corbyn knows them all, or what they write on their Facebook pages? When what they wrote was made public, what happened to them?

Ah, so it is “Israel is a disease” and the “BBC are Zionist liars.” I’m not seeing a particular reference to Israel’s policies there, but I’ll take your word for it that you did; maybe you saw the show in question?

Nope, sorry.

About those associates of Corbyn you mentioned? They were…?

Peter Willsman, from the original list.

Is he two associates, or three?

Links in that article trace to other Labor pol’s who have made anti-semitic statements and have been suspended.

Yes, not a single other Corbyn ally has made ridiculous anti-Semitic statements, and broad acceptance of anti-Semitism is definitely not a problem in the Corbyn-allied wing if Labour.

Yes, I named them. Neither of them could be called ‘Corbyn associates’ in any meaningful way.

Ok, glad we cleared that up.