The Everything Else P&R

All the wrestling feds are like that, not just WWE. Hulk Hogan was responsible for there not being a wrestlers union.

A Group called AEW might be trying something different, so far it’s just talk though.

Are there still other wrestling federations?

Dozens, maybe hundreds of small, independent wrestling promotions, with a few bigger ones across the globe - but most of them don’t have major TV deals. All Elite Wrestling that Alstein mentioned above is a new player, backed by Shahid Khan (the Jaguars owner). I don’t know if anything is set in stone but they have the clout and have been working to get a TV contract.

The whole independent contractor thing that WWE gets away with is bullshit they can only do because they’re the largest company and the only real “major league” outside of Japan. I don’t expect anything to come of this but glad a light is being shone on the practice.

Honestly, I don’t get how they aren’t nailed to the wall for the Independent Contractor thing.
I mean, obviously not while Trump is in office since they’re buddies, but McMahan is pretty political for a dude blatantly breaking the law imo.

I’m in South Africa this month, we are visiting C’s mum. Yesterday was Election Day here, and it has been interesting to observe the process and listen to what people have to say about it.

General consensus is that the ANC have failed to deliver real progress for the poor while also failing to adequately maintain the standards of RSA as a first-world country for the middle class and wealthy, and that corruption in the party makes it untenable.

On the other hand, Ramaphosa is clearly a big improvement over Zuma, and a poor result for the ANC might result in him being ousted by the Zuma supporters in the party, which most people view as a bad thing. So there is some pressure to support the AMC.

Ballots are paper and counted by hand, so we won’t have full results for a few days, but early results show the ANC with 52% of the vote. Anywhere else that might be a landslide, but here if it holds up it will be their worst result by far since the end of Apartheid. The ‘sane’ alternative party, the Democratic Alliance, looks to be in the high twenties — an improvement from 22% last time — and is on track to hold the provincial power in the Western Cape.

You hear a lot of chatter about the fringe parties, notably the Black First Party — they are the ones who want to seize all the land of white people — but in the first million votes counted, they got 700 votes, so it doesn’t look like much of a threat.

By comparison the fringe white party, Freedom First Plus, won 5% of that early count. They’re the ones who want a to establish a ‘European Homeland’ in South Africa, a white enclave where they can live as good Africans with no black people. I keep wanting to raise my hand and point out that there is actually a European homeland — in fact there are dozens! — up to the north a bit, if that’s what they really want. They don’t seem to hear the dissonance inherent in saying that they are just as African as the next guy and deserve to be here with saying that they really just want some European places to live with European neighbors. ‘European’ seems to have become the term of art for white here.

There were a number of TV broadcasts of debates, town halls, etc. It may be that they are just screening attendance, but in truth I found the quality of the participants in the halls here so much higher than similar events in the US. Everyone seemed to understand the actual issues, and there was very little fake issue bullshit being spouted, and even in argument the rhetoric seemed to be aimed at inclusiveness. Not so much ‘we need to do this to them’ and a lot more ‘we need to do this for all of us’.

Lol, the white Homeland. I too would like to ask them if they had heard of Europe. Not that the Europeans would be thrilled to have them.

Well, some of them might. Some of them always are.

This didnt deserve a thread of its own but wanted to spread my outrage a bit. White people go to Asia and beg for money so they can continue their holidays.

Its called Begpacking

Wtf? The wealthy and privileged Westerners begging in the third/second world to continue a life of leisure and pleasure? I had no idea this even existed.

Fuck, people are bad!

God, I wish I’d never heard of begpacking. I feel worse off for knowing it existed now.

I had already seen some people like this in Ecuador where I live. I didn’t realize it was a widespread phenomenon or one involving nationalities other than the obvious one, US.

It’s a big thing in Oregon. Feel free to blame us for its spread.

Uh. This is a thing that happened in real life, and not a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie:

Well, that’s depressing.

Sipping while blue on the 4th of July:

It’s pretty crappy for cops who were apparently just drinking their coffee were thrown out because some random jackass doesn’t like cops.

I think I’ll wait to hear what happened and why.

I feel like if six people make one person uncomfortable, you ask the one person to leave unless the six were doing something disruptive or aggressive. That’s regardless of cops and everything else.

There is more to the story, even if the story is just that the barista really hated cops or the like.

Edit: For example, flip it on it’s head and lets say six black men made a customer uncomfortable, you don’t ask the black guys to leave if they’re not making a scene or causing problems. Maybe the customer was a black guy who had bad experience with police… you still don’t ask the cops to leave unless something else is going on.

Yeah, it’s kinda weird as described. So wrong, or the description isn’t complete.

Let’s see who gets brought down with this piece of garbage.

At present count it should be: 2 presidents, a cabinet member, a TV lawyer, and a collection of FBI agents and Epstein factotums. Possibly some local police as well.