The Expanse (SyFy)

OooooOOOoooooh, that does sound good.

Let me throw some cold water on that for you.

Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby also co-wrote Cowboys & Aliens.

You didn’t like Cowboys & Aliens? That movie was great! ish.

I liked it, anyway.

I thought Cowboys & Aliens was a fun, silly movie that had some decent writing surrounding a ludicrously silly plot. I take your cold water and turn it into a tepid Spring shower!

Compared to the usual Syfy movie fare, Cowboys and Aliens is digital Shakespeare, I tell ya!

Agreed, on both counts. That movie was just fun. Not great cinema, but an enjoyable mashup of silliness.

So I have been re-reading it. I’m 80% done with the first book. It’s good enough that I can see myself reading all three books now. I think I know what soured me to it at first, it was the space zombie trope. The whole zombie thing in general has gotten a little old IMO but I guess it’s not as off putting to me as when I first read it. We’ll see how it goes. I do think it will translate well into a TV series…although I question again if the whole zombie thing isn’t a little overdone by now.

I will say that one of the more compelling things to me is the world/universe they have created. The near-future, intra solar system “universe” is pretty well done I think and plausible and pretty cool.

Totally. I’m running through the second book and it’s less zombie and more action plus politics as well, which I’m really digging.

There’s like 20 pages of space zombies in the first book and they never make a repeat appearance. It’s fine.

Wasn’t there some sort of world destroying type planet or sun that was going to wipe out everything too in the first book or am I completely misremembering? Tried to find a plot summary to no avail.

Venus was infected by the AI replicant virus that created the zombie plague on the space station.

Spoiler

Venus was infected by the AI replicant virus that created the zombie plague on the space station.

First try was right, but need to put an =“some text” inside the opening tag. It’s the only tag we have that won’t work if you don’t give it a string in the open tag, which is why it causes so much agony.

Aaaaand I deleted the message. Twice. But it kept reappearing. But the tag is fixed, now that the horse has escaped.

Space zombies?
Vomit zombies people. Get your facts straight.
I love this series, well written space opera. It has a heavy “serenity” vibe, which helps. Holden = a young Nathan Fillion.

Edit: read or think I read something about Tomas Jane being cast as Miller.

http://www.danielabraham.com/2014/07/15/long-promised-news-on-the-tv-show/

Thanks for the link. About the director for the first episode (s?):

Terry McDonough did several episodes of Breaking Bad, including the one called Better Call Saul which was for my money one of the best hours of one of the best shows in my lifetime. I didn’t know it, but I’d actually seen his work the first time years ago in a show called Wire in the Blood that I still remember.

I see Breaking Bad and Wire in the Blood and I think it should be good.

Some cast news: “Dominique Tipper (Vampire Academy), Cas Anvar (Olympus), and Wes Chatham (The Hunger Games: Mockingjay) have signed on as series regulars. Additionally, Jonathan Banks (Community, Breaking Bad), Paulo Costanzo (Royal Pains), and Jay Hernandez (Nashville, Gang Related) will appear as guest stars in the thriller’s first season, which has begun shooting in Toronto. They join previously announced Thomas Jane, Florence Faivre, Shohreh Aghdashloo and Steven Strait.”

— Alan

First trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X5gXIQmY-E

My initial take is that if you are not familiar with the books, this trailer wouldn’t really convince you to watch it.

— Alan