The Expanse (SyFy)

Can’t wait for the Bobbie spin-off, “The Corpulent Space Marine”

Hey, you leave Bobbie alone! She’s perfect and besides no one ever got fat by wolfing down cucumber sandwiches.

She only looks big boned to Earthers. The lower gravity on Mars gives her an hourglass shape that other Martian women would love to have.

I don’t get the body-hate for Frankie Adams. I don’t think the show does her a lot of favors by putting her in yoga pants all the time when everyone else gets to wear loose pants, and constantly shooting her from below and/or silhouetted in a tunnel with bright light at the end isn’t a great way to make her look svelte either. A quick googling of Frankie Adams’ images shows her as a fairly typical, near-anorexic actress.

My issue is that Adams doesn’t project the tough-and-competent Bobbie Draper that I had in my head from the books. She just always seems too young and too unsure of herself.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with Frankie Adams, nothing at all. I agree that they way they shoot her in The Expanse does her no favors.

Yeah, she’s bleeping gorgeous. I think they actually wanted her to put on a bit of weight/bulk for the role. I’ve read/heard that she’s done some MMA in real life, too.

Yeah, a Google Image search for just Frankie Adams will quickly disabuse anyone of the notion she’s anything but gorgeous.

And look again at that picture, you wanna body shame her? Pshhhh.

I wasn’t sure about this show in the first episode – will it have any depth or just be a rote trot through classic space tropes? – but I am liking it a lot after 4-5 episodes in.

I stopped 1.5 episodes in (Amazon Prime Video) because aside from Thomas Jane’s storyline it was horrible garbage.

I’ve been thinking of trying again, but the first two books were horrible too, and I don’t know if the show will eventually transcend the source material.

I’d love a good Sci Fi show right about now.

It is no top 100 all time series or anything – but it is competent enough if you are looking for sci-fi series that doesn’t suck.

It’s the best Sci-fi show in 10+years easily. Any real genre fan should be watching this.

Stick with it son it gets better.

This show is amazing. What were your expectations if you are a sci-fi fan? What shows are better? I just… wow…

To be fair, a lot of the acting is poor, particularly the main character Holden, who was previously voted off the lifeboat upthread (yes, I created that poll as a sneaky way to confirm that people don’t like Holden.)

The best characters IMO are the space detective Kerzain mentions and Avarasala who doesn’t show up as much till later.

Agreed. These guys are smoking meth and aren’t welcome to play in any of my reindeer games.

The ship crew’s acting is the main reason I initially gave up on the show. Holden is especially bad, for me. I just don’t like watching a show if said show makes me actually hate almost everybody in it.

But since people like it so much, maybe I will try again. B5 had some BAAAAAAD actors through the years, but the good ones, and the story itself, made it all worth it in the end.

Yeah, Holden is the weakest link, which is a problem because he’s the central character.

I concur. I made it 5 episodes in and the acting and art direction became too much to bear. If it becomes a classic Sci fi series everybody talks about I might reconsider, but most Sci first fans I know around here have given up on it, so I’d say it’s unlikely.

I would say, it was reasonably better than the books. Just not enough.

This series sports some of the space spaceship fighting ive seen, that dosent involve fairyland tech, it got some really decent cast, and it’s been an awesome ride so far, if you like sci-fi you can’t be a snooty bitch, it’s slim pickings really, unless you like high fantasy stuff only.

Eat some more sandwiches Bobbie, you earned them .