The Expanse (SyFy)

That part with her and the fancy cucumber sandwiches was hysterical. You’d think she hadn’t eaten in a week.

Seems season 3 is getting a few new cast members. I haven’t watched any of Season 2 yet, gotta make time!

I am taking advantage of my 8 weeks abroad to start watching the show. So far I’ve watched the first five episodes.

This is totally my jam.

This is pretty faithful to the books - in the books they explain it later as well so I suspect it’ll be cleared up in S3.

I really wish I could watch this show again, but I’m not really willing to fork out $30 for season 2 anytime soon.

Speaking of which (S2 late spoilers)

since it seems to absorb and feed on energy like a sponge, I guess all that Roci accomplished by burning into it is putting in a random solar orbit a supercharged Caliban? unless it grows itself reactors or whatever.

Great show. I was a bit worried at the start of S2 it would become stale (I thought there was some horrific exposition and pityful attempt at character development in the first couple of episodes), it was back on its WTF fair ride’s rails soon again.
I don’t appreciate most of the cast (excepting for Big Girl and Miller - like anybody here it seems), yet that was an absolute joy to watch.

Just watched the first 3 eps of Season 1. Wow! Trying to decide whether to pause and read the books first (I’ve had Leviathan Wakes on my bookshelf for years now) or watch the first 2 seasons and then read the books. Thoughts from those of you who have consumed both?

The books are better, but they do a great job adapting them. They do some changes, but they don’t get in the way of enjoying the show. If you can wait on the show, be sure to read the books. They’re so, so good.

The Expanse has been my favorite TV show in recent years. I’m amazed that it’s the sci-fi channel that’s making it. Finally they are living up to their namesake.

Highly recommended if you’re still on the fence.

I always prefer reading books before video adaptations, because books always seem to have more depth and insight. Video adaptations are often very different from the books. In this case, they do a pretty good job portraying the books, even though there are differences, as usual. Ive enjoyed both the series as well as the books but I feel the reading the books first has given me a better understanding of the individual characters, than I would have had just watching the TV series.

Holden is very different in the novels, but other than that the series is a good adaption. It shows that the writers of the novels are working as show-runners.

Last time I tried streaming this series, I could not access the earlier episodes. Is there anywhere to stream this from start to finish?

Time to bring up the obligatory BattleStar Galactica mention.

Not having read the books, it was a bit confusing trying to get a grip on all the factions and technobabble initially. After about 4 eps in, I actually went back and rewatched the pilot to really understand what was relevant and what was “atmospheric filler”.

But yeah, I do agree that its really great and refreshing to see a fully formed functioning adult scifi show.

I like the show quite a bit, but good God does Holden suck. All the whining and moral depth of a second tier JRPG protagonist without the awesome hair. Barf.

The casting leaves itself wanting.

I have to admit that the only casting I’ve been 100% on board with is Miller and Avasarala. Both of those actors NAILED it.

Amos and Naomi are clooooose. The rest are sooo…eh…

I’m mostly with @BrianRubin. Though I like the way dude plays Amos quite a bit. And Bobbie is growing on me now that the character is becoming less of a cardboard cutout.

BSG had some truly inspired casting that elevated the material and carried it through some real rough patches.

BSG had Edward James Olmos.

Expanse has no EJO.

What I said, yo!