The Expanse (SyFy)

Just an FYI that Season 3 started yesterday.

I missed it but DVRed it on my PS Vue so I’ll probably catch it over the weekend.

Still no UK Netflix release date confirmed. I assume it’s going to be bizarrely long after the US run has ended, like last time round.

There is so much crazy shit that happens in the books I don’t know how long it will take the series to catch up on.

I like Amos + Alex in the Rocinante crew. I like Coach-Cutty and Avarasala. Holden sucks (I’m sure you all agree, I just like saying it.)

Based on how they’re going, I think it would take about 12-14 seasons to cover all of the books, at the rate they seem to be going, which I’m fine with.

Yeah, he really is the weakest link.

I loved the season 3 premier. Especially the final sequences with Avasarala.

I’ve never read the books, but I’ll happily read through them once the TV show ends.

Without getting into the details, the series is different from the books. While the broad outlines of the plot are there (and are present in some of the smaller details, too) there are significant story differences between the two.

It’s an adaptation; one which is increasingly diverging from the novels as the show progresses. I’m not sure the choices are always good.

By the way - I like Holden. A lot. The hate on for this guy on this thread I really don’t get.

I like him too. I don’t think he’s a great actor but he’s perfectly fine in the role. Other than Avasarala, none of the acting is HBO-level quality but the show manages its far more limited budget effectively.

Still watching season 2, just finished episode 8. What a freaking episode, the people who got spaced and the attempted station takeover! D:

Yeah, that was almost the 100 episode 4 good/horrible

As much as I enjoy the Amos/Alex/Naomi/Jim show, I’m starting to think I could watch an entire spin-off series featuring the misadventures of Bobbie, Cotyar, Avasarala and random crew guy. At some point I’m going to assume these two crews merge, and when they do it will be fantastic.

Wait, so it’s implied in an early scene of tonight’s show that Cotyar and Yacht Crewman Rando died. Is that true?

I don’t think so. Bobby was saying sorry but then Avasarala told her not to apologize if she doesn’t know they’re dead.

No, that wasn’t the implication. Just that it was unknown.

Well, the lines, as close as I can recall them, were:

Draper: I’m sorry about Cotyar…
Avasarala: Did _ you_ kill him?
D: No.
A: Then don’t apologize. [or something to that effect]

I distinctly remember hearing an emphasis on the word “you” in Avasarala’s line. Maybe they’re just assuming that the two guys must have ended up dead because they saw the fiery explosion behind them as they got away.

She’s just saying whatever happened, it wasn’t your fault. Why are you apologizing for something that wasn’t caused by you.

And let’s face it, from a dramatic perspective, if they were dead it would have been shown.

Yeah it was like… fuck your sorries. She’s angry and gonna make that sniveling traitor rat pay.

(and yes it was totally YOU DIDNT DO IT why are you apologizing)

Interesting. I’ve been mostly not watching the series since I’ve been reading the books, and the books are already so…er … visually oriented in their presentation, that I feel like I’m watching a series of movies.

But since the TV series is different from the books, I should catch up one of these days.

I liked Cotyar, so I hope he survives somehow. That said, his death (or seeming death) would probably give Avasarala the excuse she needs to go full on bad ass, which would be entertaining to see.

I just hope Bobbie sticks around for awhile. I have a serious crush on her now. =)

I really enjoyed the space battle in S3E02 – the director/authors seemed to realize that showing a lot of CGI spaceships and zzap-zzap isn’t going to hold the audience’s attention for a long period of time anymore. Instead they mostly showed the human drama inside the ships with just a few glimpses of the various torpedoes, ack-ack fire and whatnot.

I especially enjoyed the sequence with Amos and Pak showing the dangers of loose tools or parts flying everywhere and the effects of mid-battle acceleration.

If they stick close to the books on Bobbie, she is in for the long haul.