The Expanse (SyFy)

Won’t happen. This was shot months ago so it will probably end on a season ending cliffhanger unless picked up again.

Yeah I would hope they would at least create some 2 hour movie or something to wrap it up (of course preferably they would finish the story on netflix or somewhere).

Damn it. This is why I don’t trust SyFy and should never get invested in their shows. Last season it was Dark Matter, now they pull the same shit with Expanse, which was easily the best sci-fi show on television in years.

On the bright side, this is exactly the sort of show a streaming provider like Amazon or Netflix would be interested in. Established fan base, critical praise, and plenty of story left to tell. It sounds like the producers cut a deal with SyFy that severely limited the network’s potential income from the show, so perhaps they’ll be more flexible with a digital provider in the effort to get their show picked up.

Seems like a perfect fit for Netflix, especially given that they expressed a desire to focus on SciFi shows

Here in Europe it is billed as a Netflix Original. Hopefully they pick it up and they start releasing it at the same time everywhere instead of having an 8-month wait in Europe.

I watched the first two seasons on Netflix while in India, so since they already hold most international rights I’d wager they’re the logical landing spot.

Except Amazon holds the US streaming rights. So it’s not exactly a clear situation.

This is what killed Netflix picking up Hannibal, as I understand it.

Amazon on one hand would like the fact that they could tie a lot of book sales to the series.

On the other hand, Bezos is pretty clear now that he wants home runs and grand slams, and The Expanse has had three years to find a sizeable audience, and it hasn’t.

Ugh. Terrible news. On the positive side, there are always the books for me to read if I want to follow these characters and (rough) storyline to its conclusion.

Well there’s more than syfy ratings to say whether the show has enough of a following. They didn’t own the show and only had the initial live rights too it. No catalog, streaming, disc sales etc. Networks are always more likely to cancel shows they didn’t make themselves.

Some useful links in this post, like a form you can submit in one second to request Netflix add the show, etc:

Ehh… apparently they are selling Expanse sets starting Monday. So there’s only a few days to shop it around left. Doesn’t sound like there is actually any hope of saving the show.

WTF the best syfy show on, and its cancelled already…u suck syfy.

Welcome to Syfy.

Word is Netflix likely passed but Amazon is still open to picking it up.

I saw The 100 got renewed… thats sorta scifi…

Ars had a funny take:

The series’ ratings were low enough that its prospects don’t look good, unlike [snip] Fox’s Brooklyn Nine Nine. [snip] That show consistently delivered more viewers in key demos and might have an audience less prone to piracy.

It’s accurate, but I think piracy is way less of a deal for things available on Amazon or Netflix on day 1. There are a lot of people who just don’t want to wait six months or whatever and who don’t have cable tv.

That sucks, its way better then killjoys.