The Expanse (SyFy)

I can’t remember how the book handled the scenes we were shown last night in the finale, but…

It seems like they made a big deal about nothing in the show. I mean why wouldn’t they just try the whole shutdown thing and see what happens? Did I miss a scene where they said that if they shut down their reactors that they might not ever be able to start them again, or something?

Overall the finale seemed kindof lifeless. Did they use up their Thomas Jane money in previous episodes? Having Holden’s interaction with him entirely on an external camera feed sucked the drama out of it in my opinion. Good to show it from someone else’s point of view, but then cut back into the room to the real conversation like they’ve done before.

And then it ends up being so simple a solution. Turn off your engines and the problem is solved! Why did the ring open up all the other portals? No answer. I’m pretty sure in the book Holden spends a lot more time in the central complex and Miller and gets a lot more info about what’s going on.

Oh well, on to Amazon, where maybe they can get more money for Thomas Jane!

Well, I guess I have at least a year to reread the books, because I don’t remember anything but the broad strokes either.

Cara Gee (Drummer) appears to be happy about season four:

Glad to see her back. “Now I know why you no need carry a gun.”

To answer one question…

So, they didn’t hit the point hard enough, perhaps, but it was pretty clear that they had two options, and could only do one.

Option #1. Listen to James Holden, shut down all of the reactors. Hope good things happen.

Option #2. Listen to Ashford, attempt to destroy the ring before the station could destroy Sol.

They kept harping on the fragility of the grid of the Behemoth (including in that episode). If they’d shut the reactor down, getting the grid back to the point that they could power the laser would have taken an indeterminate amount of time.

If the increasing waves from the station were it powering up a weapon, that weapon could reasonably be assumed to fire before they would be able to try the laser if they shut down the reactors on the Behemoth.

They greatly simplified the plotting for Book 3, and I think it worked. I can see where they pulled various pieces over (including from characters who were never introduced, and Drummer actually has taken over plot points from other characters in the series as well), but all in all, I like what they did.

And, had they not gotten picked up for Season 4, that would have been a satisfying end.

HALP! My TiVo recorded the last (double?) episode in a screwy way. Which one to watch first? Convergence? Or Abbadon’s Gate? It identifies both as S03E12.

Congregation, then Abbadon’s Gate.

Buckle up!

K thx baieee!!!

(I think that’s how it goes. ;-) In the meantime I’m watching the latest episode of Colony, a criminally underrated series.)

I just bought an Amazon fire stick, so I’ve been checking out more Amazon prime offerings, since I hate watching TV or movies on the computer, and now I don’t need to.I noticed tonight that they are offering 5 seasons of this. I love the books, is it worth investing in us? Do they properly handle the Belter’s physical differences or is it hand waved away? Almost everything I’ve seen on sy-fy was done on the cheap, and not worth my while.

Hmm, I don’t know how there could already be 5 seasons-- isn’t the just-concluded one on SiFy the third?

I haven’t read the books but the series has been fantastic from a viewer-only perspective. Production values have been top-notch.

My bad, it is indeed 3 seasons. 5 seasons was The Americans.

Ah. BTW, that show kicks ass. I watched it from start to finish as it was airing.

Can’t go wrong with The Americans or The Expanse.

Watch them both! Two of my favorites.

Just finished watching the season finale. Wow was that a hell of a ride.

Is there anything else going on with the protomolecule bit on the Roci other than the fact that it’s probably how “Miller” communicated with Holden?

Just looking for a show answer. If you read the books please just answer with “yes there’s more to it” or “no that’s it” :-)

As I recall, no thats pretty much it. But then its been a few years since I read the book and I can barely recall what I had for breakfast today so…

The show overall has been very well done visually. As good as BSG was. They show a belter that looks like the book describes a couple of times but overall their just humans with the heavy accents and tattoos. I don’t mind it though. To many characters to show that I’m sure would just be too expensive. Some compromises have to be made.

It’s still a must watch IMO if your a SciFi fan. One of the best genre shows in years.

I watched the first show tonight. Agree that they made some effort to make the belters look like belters, and the production quality was much better than the old sci-fi channels I occasionally watched.

Only downside was I thought Holden was way way too young, but maybe he’ll grow on me.

I just need to figure out why I’m getting audio problems with all shows that I’m getting with my new Fire Stick!!

A lot of book readers had similar complaints with the portrayal of Holden during at least the first half of season 1. I counted myself among them but he definitely grew on me.

I thought Amos looked too young too, but he does a fantastic job.

Heh in many ways, the entire show could be titled “The Evolution of Amos.” Its a tossup between him and Bobby for best character.