The Expanse (SyFy)

I always include Avasarlaha as a favorite. She’s not a big regular and was gone most of the second half this year, but whenever Shohreh is onscreen she takes center stage. Hope she’s back more next season.

She will be. I saw an interview with the showrunner, and he assured us she’s prominent next season.

It’s absolutely a three-way tie for best character between her, Amos and Bobbie.

That’s awesome to hear. I was worried that Shohreh Aghdashloo might be too big of a name to retain for this long. Or at least, if she’s not hugely in demand now, she should be, but for the meantime I guess I’m glad she’s not :-)

I dunno who gets to be bard and cleric yet. Wait Alex has to be the Cleric he’s always nice.

oots%20expanse

Amos - Berzerker, CN
Holden - Paladin (duh)
Naomi - Uh, she’s a gnome Rogue, more trap-specced than combat
Alex: He’s the Bard. Always got those headphones on, peacemaker type

I too thought the actor seemed young, but recently, James Corey posted the below:

https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/1002798076480782336

And further confirmed on Twitter that Holden was 30 in Leviathan Wakes.

I always figured he was around 30 from the books. I actually thought Thomas Jane as Miller was too young.

I’d ban you for this post if this was my board.

TJ was another example of The Expanse’s perfect casting … except for Holden :)

Just FYI - “James Corey” as a person doesn’t actually exist.

James S. A. Corey is the pen name used by collaborators Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. The first and last name are taken from Abraham’s and Franck’s middle names, respectively, and S. A. are the initials of Abraham’s daughter.

Don’t ban me! I liked Jane, but I always pictured Miller as older and more grizzled. Like a Brian Dennehy type.

:)

I actually was aware of that, but I didn’t feel like typing in “they” nor “the people managing the official James SA Corey twitter account”.

I guess treat it like when we say “Syfy posted”.

I’m enjoying how they are streamlining the book, though there are a few odd changes. I found Ashford to be a much more sympathetic character in the show (well, right up till he went homicidal) than the book. It’s interesting that they also show a new bond between Amos and the pastor, which wasn’t there in the book.
Also, speaking of badasses, I love Camina Drummer. Has the show made any mention of her husband yet?

Not that I noticed, instead I felt the show was implying she was into Naomi?

Okay, Alex has to be the Cleric. Dwarf is a pretty nice guy too, also left his family and home, and has a funny accent.

The problem is this leaves Bobbie to be the bard. Bobbie is actually competent. Maybe it’s cucumber-sandwiches version of Bobbie.

As for Drummer/Naomi, oh yeah they were totally implying she had a thing for her. What’s unclear is whether Naomi had a thing back.

I thought the two-part season finale was excellent and could have easily stood as a series finale if need be. Also very thankful to Amazon that it does not need to be. =)

I like that there are so many characters in this show who just seem to take events in stride and try to make the best decisions given what’s happening to them at that point in time. Amos, Bobbie, Drummer and Cotyar are all like this. It’s a nice contrast to the characters like Holden, Naomi, Avasarala and Anna who are always wrestling with the moral and political implications of every decision they make. My LOL line of the episode was Amos right after handing over his rifle on the Mormon ship, then learning they’re going to arrest Naomi, casually stating “I’m going to need that gun back.”

Looking forward to season 4 on Amazon. Seems like the end of this season left open a very wide array of possibilities for plotlines next season. And was I imagining it, or were Holden and crew shown slipping through one of the gate holes at the end? They didn’t even resupply before heading out?!

…and here’s the problem: the overall story pretty much does a dive bomb when the gates open and the action leaves our solar system.

The writers of the show (which include our intrepid “Corey”) did a great job in consolidating characters and storylines in the first [edit] three seasons (ex. Drummer being the one ending up going 'mech, not some newly introduced character, and of Sam there is no hide nor hair). But they’re really going to need to step up their game to keep the post-Gate Expanse interesting.

I don’t see the show doing a thirty year time skip too.

Good call