The Fabelmans - Spielberg's Pseudo Autobiopic

now I am interested again. EotS is also one of my favorite Spielberg movies.

This was a lovely memoir, considerably more clear-eyed and thoughtful than 1980s Spielberg would have made it. And a lovely John Williams score as well: had it been his final score (he’s since recanted) it would be one to go out on.

I managed to see it completely unspoiled, so when the Famous Historical Figure appears I was intrigued - who did they get to play the part, he looks so familiar! Then when he opened his mouth, I lost it. Perfect casting!

2 1/2 hrs went by so quickly, I really enjoyed my time with the Fabelmans. I am not hundred percent sure, I will rewatch it soon, though, which I always do with really great movies (or movies that move me like Seneca for comparison). I have a feeling, that I saw everything there is on my first view.

I meant to post something about this. I didn’t want the film to end either. Even an average Speilberg movie is just so beautifully crafted that you can’t help but admire a man at the top of his game.

Spielberg may or may not be the GOAT, but he is indisputable in the top 5.

Oh lord, that’s hilarious. When I watched that clip, I thought, ah, so that’s where David Lynch got his interview style from, and then I looked in the comments of the video…

I’ve only watched half of it so far, and am enjoying it, but there’s one scene that doesn’t ring true, particularly since we just went though this with my mother in law a couple of months ago.

After the grandmother dies, and Judd Hirsch makes an appearance, he makes a reference to sitting shiva, tears his shirt, and sleeps on the floor. Wholly appropriate. I don’t know how observant the rest of the family is supposed to be (there is a mention of celebrating Hannukah), but unless they were particularly non-religious, nobody would be playing the piano, editing film or making movies. In fact, according to my very religious brother-in-law, you’re supposed to wait a whole year before engagin in enjoyable activities (though no one does)

?? For the typical American Jewish family you sit shiva for a week, and then life goes on. For immediate family - siblings, spouse, and children of the deceased - usually you refrain from parties and public entertainment for the next 30 days.

As such - Judd Hirsch was a bit over the top, but otherwise it seemed all very normal to me.

I mentioned my ultra-Orhtodox brother in law. You’re right, for most people it’s a week to 10 days. But there still would not be piano playing, etc.