The Fall 2012 New TV Series Thread (starts 9/9)

Boo, no Mindy? WTF? I bet it’s because she actually has some meat on her bones and is thus “too fat” to be the female lead in the eyes of the network types (unless it’s a show like Mike and Molly specifically crafted to call attention to the leads’ morbid obesity).

Fox has already thrown their support behind the Mindy show by ordering nine more episodes, which happened a few weeks ago. I suspect this was just a case where the World Series mucked with the X Factor schedule and they needed to steal a half hour somewhere else.

The Neighbors was really fun this week with Halloweenween! :D

A few decent new shows this year. I like Nashville but I was surprised at how much I liked the music in the show. I got the ‘soundtrack’ for season 1 today and its pretty damn good.

Fox quietly built the best night of comedy on television Tuesdays. Raising Hope was always great, but New Girl has been so much better this year and Ben & Kate is fantastic, plus the Mindy Project is quite good as well.

I think Ben & Kate is probably the best new show from Fall 2012.

Out of those, I only watch The Mindy Project (because of Mindy Kaling, I loved her in the Office). I’ll have to give those others a try. I know Raising Hope and New Girl are on Netflix. I wonder if Ben & Kate is new enough that all the episodes are still on Hulu Plus?

What’s Ben & Kate about? That’s a pretty generic name that gives nothing away.

It’s about a single mother (Kate) who has a brother (Ben) that’s a bit of a screw up move in with her. She works at a bar with her best friend (played by Lucy Punch) and he works at a golf club while trying to get his crazy business schemes off the ground.

The premise doesn’t sound that special, but the cast is really good, and the show does a really fantastic job of capturing the adult brother/sister dynamic in a way rarely seen on TV.

Ben is actually played by Nat Faxon, the writing partner of Jim Rash (the Dean from Community). Together they won the Academy award for writing The Decendents.

Hloly shit. Just looked it up and the Actress from Ben & Kate is Dakota Johnson and she is the daughter of Melanie Griffith and Don Johnson.

Gents, does anyone know of a website/software that will keep track of the TV shows I specify and when they air? I’m finding it hard to keep track of the new shows I’m watching this year and when they’re on.

Preferably free!

I use this: Main Page :: MyEpisodes.com

Cheers, the calendar function on that is perfect!

There’s also a little iOS app I just got called Episodes which is similar in function.

Wow. I haven’t cared when a show actually airs since about 2000. “Oh, what’s on the DVR tonight?”

I’m following several US shows that don’t get syndicated over here to Ireland, so knowing when a show is starting or taking a break is a big plus!

Also, the random breaks shows like American Dad take are confusing as hell.

This was the first thread that popped in the search list, but for reasons I can’t quite explain, we’ve started watching The Mindy Project on Hulu…

…and it’s really enjoyable! I don’t think it’s great or world-changing, but as a light romantic sitcom, it’s clever enough to make me smile and laugh fairly often.

I’ve been a Mindy fan (both of the comedy writer and her character) for a long time. I do wish Fox hadn’t cancelled the broadcast version of the show.

I’m enjoying the no-holds-barred approach of the Hulu-only season.

Last night I binged and watched 3 episodes of Mindy Project in one day. Now I’m caught up to the end of Season 4, which was the first Hulu season. That was quite the rollercoaster ride season, but enjoyable throughout.

Now, the new season 5 is here as well, but I might wait on watching those until later in the season. I do like the love triangle they spent the whole of Season 4 setting up.

During the last few days I’ve been watching Season 5 of the Mindy Project. Gosh, this show still manages to be so goddamn funny. As soon as Season 5 started, they diffused the whole love triangle they setup in Season 4. Completely dismantled it in every way. The show is just so well written. The overall plot might be all over the place, but each individual episode finds a way to be so funny.

Halfway through Season 6, the last season of The Mindy Project, this season has been so good. This show is just so good at being funny and sentimental at the same time. Mindy and the writers really did an amazing job of recreating the romantic comedy as a TV show. The final season is such a great example of how they’re slowly putting the pieces together for a sappy happy ending for all the characters on the show. I love it. This is a part of good romantic comedies that I love.

Plenty of shows on TV are funny. But few can be sentimental and pull it off with aplomb like this show can. I’m so happy that Hulu picked up the series and let it come to a proper conclusion. (Well, 5 episodes to go, I suppose it could all still go south, but I doubt it).