The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

It’s literally the worst thing she could have written, in the worst tone. If I were her I’d worry about my career in any field. I can’t imagine someone hiring her knowing this story. She fails at the “Excellent communication skills” slot on her resume, not to mention how petty and stupid she came off.

The age of the internet can be a great boon of you have talent and ethics, but can absolutely destroy you if you are a hack.

She’s also making the story about herself, and not “Grace,” which is a big no-no for real journalists.

The smart thing for her to do would be to just stop talking and hope that she can keep her job at Babe.net.

But she probably won’t do the smart thing. Instead, she’ll do one of the following things:

1. Go on an apology tour and quit her job at Babe.net. Blame it on the publication that pushed you to write trashy shit.
  2. Double down. Triple down. Never back down. Say anything it takes to make it look like you did the right thing and that Aziz deserves to be included in roundups with Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein.

I’d put money on #2.

This list of sex tips (NSFW) has gotta be a contender.

Her advice on communicating with your partner includes “Fake a kink”, “Give him the silent treatment”, and “Passive aggression is a girl’s best friend”. Also this gem:

Sex negging.

The guys I hung out with in HS were pretty open about sex. But then again, we were in high school (and, eventually, college). Curiously, it was generally mostly about “the score” and not so much about the qualities of the woman involved, which is both good and bad in ways. No real amount of “size comparison” type judgment went down like we heard rumors of being talked about amongst the girls, for instance. . . but on the flipside, the women were often treated as a “lay” and not a person unless it was someone we all knew.

However, in college, I literally have a single recollection of any of us talking about sex in anything but the most basic joking sort of way (and even then, that was mostly limited to one of my roomie’s and I jokingly playing up the idea that someone had that we were together). The one time, a friend who’d never so much as mentioned romance or sex before, while very drunk, told us that she “really missed sex.” That was about as steamy as college got.

Nowadays, I’m friends with a lot of middle aged folk in the various local pagan and kink (not meaning to imply a link there, but, well, you know) communities. The banter is a little less definitive or direct, but it’s there all the same. In another group of friends, slightly younger, that sort of thing is damn near verboten, and bringing it up in even the vaguest of terms is seen as a major faux pas.

Anyway, I mean to say via anecdata that I’m not sure that sex-talk among friends is restricted to one gender or the other. I think it’s much more to do with the social mood of the group you’re in. Age doesn’t even necessarily play a factor.

You’re mixing concepts and context here, and are all over the place. No one said recognizing that your partner has needs and wants makes you a pillow princess. It’s in fact the opposite.

The issue is that you said men should somehow be able to pick up on all of the non-verbal clues. I was simply telling you that does not necessarily work.

I didn’t say all non-verbal cues, but partners should be looking for signs that their partner is into something… yes.

What the hell? Is she giving relationship advice for women who want the relationship to break up? The silent treatment and passive-aggressive behavior are two of the worst ways to behave in a relationship.

She’s a girl that doesn’t give a fuck.

She’s the female version of Mike Cernovich

Not sure if it would lead to a break-up, but that advice would definitely not lead to a healthy relationship, sex or otherwise.

Not that fluff publications can’t do actual journalism or at least quality editorializing (see: Teen Vogue), but this Slate ‘deep dive’ into Babe.net is rather funny.

The site has made previous forays into harder journalism, including its account of an Oklahoman 17-year-old who says she was raped at a party. But its real sweet spot might be described, in a phrase Babe magazine would certainly never use, as vulgar tomfoolery. One post coins the concept of “period-trapping” as a way to determine if a guy is into you: Get him to agree to come over, then tell him you’re on your period and see if he still shows up.
Another boasts an “EXCLUSIVE” update on Justin Bieber’s former pet monkey (“Today Mally is trying to live his best life in Germany’s Serengeti Wildlife Park, but he continues to struggle”). Its look features large font and short paragraphs interspersed with GIFs and tweets; a 600-word post might have three bold section-heads to break up all that text.

:) 345

Katie Way sounds like she escaped into the real world from a rejected script for an epiosode of Girls.

Katie, an idealistic young journalism major fresh out of Vassar lands her dream job at Babe.net, an up-and-coming women’s-only web blog with an edge. But Katie soon finds herself faced with a terrible choice: sacrifice everything she believes to get the scoop, or strike out on her own, but with morals intact. Tune in this Sunday to find out what happens!

Eventually she accepts an invitation to come to Aziz Ansari’s apartment, where they have a long in-depth conversation in which he wins her over to his side. Then he makes her grab his dick.

Haha, no, you must not have watched Girls. More like Katie Way does exactly what Katie Way did, sees nothing wrong with any of it, believes at 21 she’s got all the answers because her generation has it all figured out and they’re here to set the rest of the world straight, etc.

But she’s probably got this one older friend running a coffee shop that I can really relate to.

Sorry for the derail, but that’s not the takeaway I got from Girls. Pretty much all of the quartet have train-wreck lives for most of the series although Hannah and Shosh seem to be getting their acts more or less together by the end.

I’d say Hannah alternates between those two modes: supreme, youthful confidence and self-aware train-wreck.