The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

I know, there’s a whole set of shitty things which shames men and women for stepping out of their stereotypical zones – but if you say there is absolutely no biological component to being transgendered, aren’t you stepping into “pray away the gay” territory?

One could argue that binary gender roles are social constructs for the same reason that “race” is a social construct. There are biological characteristics that inform both of them, but any neat categorization scheme is artificial.

If so, it’s possible to believe that society has mislabeled your gender (or race for that matter) even while wishing all such labels could be thrown out.

For example, imagine a world where your astrological sign is considered an immutable and defining characteristic. What a stupid system, it should be replaced with a far more nuanced approach to personality! But if we really have to play this game, I might feel like I’m more of a Sagittarius even if I was born in June.

Well, I’m with you insofar as your biological characteristics necessitating a particular social role – even if you could prove that people with these characteristics fall withing this bell curve, you should make allowances for people at the far ends. Because, really, what’s it to you?

But as I read you, you’re saying is that people that transgendered people – if we accept that biology has no impact whatsoever – have both a level of buy-in into societal gender constructs and complete rejection their own notional place in it, to the point that the resolution is altering their bodies. That makes it sound like psychotherapy is the obvious solution, rather than surgery.

(And Jesus Chirst am I not touching the mislabeled race notion with a 100 foot fucking pole.)

(Also, this is starting to feel like a major derailment.)

Regardless of how you frame it, the obvious solution is whatever works for them. Why wouldn’t it be?

Another example: imagine a society where your social role is defined by your tattoos. That’s obviously a social construct. Now imagine someone doesn’t like the role prescribed by their tattoos, and wants to change them. In other words:

[they] have both a level of buy-in into societal … constructs and complete rejection their own notional place in it, to the point that the resolution is altering their bodies.

Is psychotherapy the obvious solution, rather than altering their bodies by visiting a tattoo parlor? Of course not, just let them get their new tattoos and respect their choice.

Flip the example: if everything was 100% a social construct, psychotherapy would be a perfectly valid way to treat tattoo dysphoria, right? Like, that would be a valid suggestion? Why have an invasive procedure when you can just talk through your issues with the tattoo system? You would be cool with someone suggesting that to someone else? Not a peep?

Anyway, my issues with how biology and gender theory intersect are starting to feel way beside the point.

Not at all. We don’t even need to make up scenarios, actually. There are plenty of situations where social constructs do not align with how someone perceives their own body, and the problem is solved by surgery. There is, in fact, a whole branch of surgery devoted to this problem: cosmetic surgery.

The importance of breast size is almost entirely a social construct. Same with penis size. But if someone is not satisfied with their body in that regard, they are offered breast augmentation/reduction or penile surgery. Or rhinoplasty. Or liposuction. Or fat transplant to the buttocks. People can also make profound changes to their social roles by altering their basic physiology, via vasectomy. Or tubal ligation.

I think you get the picture. When someone wants to look “more feminine”, there are common surgical treatment options. And I think it’s very rare in most cases for a doctor to suggest psychotherapy before a consult with a plastic surgeon. In fact, I’m going to boldly claim (without checking a reference!) that psychotherapy is reserved for patients with problems that cannot be solved by surgery. Because, sadly, there’s a good chance psychotherapy won’t work either.

Nicely put. Kudos.

That was a great lecture. Thank you for linking it.

I saw Andrew on Bill Maher last night, he has a really unique perspective. This article shows he is still a terrific writer.

Ah, Maher’s back. I can listen to something other than old History of Rome podcasts.

#ImpeachDomitian

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-entertainment-news-updates-2018-scarlett-johansson-james-franco-1516502535-htmlstory.html

Addressing the 500,000 Women’s March attendees gathered in downtown Los Angeles Saturday and even more onlookers livestreaming it at home, Scarlett Johansson began her speech with a pointed barb aimed squarely at James Franco.

“How could a person publicly stand by an organization that helps to provide support for victims of sexual assault while privately preying on people who have no power?” said Johansson, one of the 300 original signatories of the Time’s Up letter calling for an end to abuse and harassment of women everywhere.

She paused. “I want my pin back, by the way.”

Looks like Aziz made it through, if Netflix’s gigantic unapologetic splash screen is any bellwether.

Good. His “scandal” is not the kind that merits career destruction (see: Weinstein, Spacey, et al.).

Yeah, he’s doing great work giving a voice to the stories of immigrants, women, the working class, etc. I forget what episode it was but they did a whole story on the life of a doorman in New York and the entitlement they have to deal with. I also thought the Tinder episode was great, when his date was on Tinder while on their date. And the episode where his and an East Asian friend’s family have dinner together and share their backgrounds was really good. He even had a story on Muslims eating pork and the thin line you thread of respecting your parents and being your own person. Complex stuff and I want to see more, hope he can keep the quality up.

New info on l’affaire Keillor:

The man is a legendary asshole around these parts. I have no trouble taking MPR’s word over his.

Like the article says, this is one of the cases for people wanting to end MeToo. Based on what I am reading, this does not warrant the claim that MeToo is somehow destructive. It wounds like he has a few accusers behind his release.

This isn’t quite the place to put this article, but we don’t have a generic women’s issues thread.

The Guardian pointed out a few weeks ago that this particular set of crimes hasn’t really caught the public’s (or media’s) imagination despite being arguably the largest in scale sex crime scandal in modern sports history.