The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

But quite distinct from the allegation that he molested a 7 year old girl.

True, but when your (ex?) wife adopts a girl and you think “Aww, yeah, this looks good!”, you’ve got major, major problems. He didn’t save her life, Hardigan and Nancy style, or anything. He groomed a young girl, and his surrogate daughter, a girl in his family, to be his lover. Gross beyond belief.

I don’t know what ‘surrogate daughter’ means, exactly, and it’s also not clear if or when he ‘groomed’ her.

He started an affair with an 18/19 year old girl who had been adopted by his girlfriend.

Yes, a shitty thing to do. Also not directly relevant to the Dylan Farrow allegation. I distrust words like ‘grooming’ being thrown around casually as they elide the difference between sleeping with a woman of legal age and molesting a seven year old. And the assertion that Woody is psychologically messed up and/or has ‘major, major problems’ is again quite distinct from the specific allegation that he is a child molester.

Incidentally, Weide insists that Woody and Mia never lived together and that Soon Yi did not see him as a father figure. I haven’t seen any of the anti-Weide articles pick this point apart. The ‘grooming Soon Yi’ narrative in any case is not uncontested. https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-woody-allen-allegations-not-so-fast

None of this is to say that Woody is a swell guy, obviously. I think the issue should be focused on whether he molested Dylan, as that is what is causing the current round of post-MeToo rats fleeing a sinking ship, beginning with Ronan Farrow, on to Greta Gerwig, and so forth.

Yeah, I get the distinction. But now we are into complex human behavior patterns. A (rather poor) analogy might be that someone who hurts or kills animals might be more likely to hurt people when they get older. I can’t think of a better one, but my basic argument is that they are both kind on the same scale of aberrant behavior.

I mean, I’m sure history is full of stories of people marrying their much, much younger relatives bit since it’s now the 21st century I hope we can all collectively go “Gross, dude. That’s a weird, loser move, having all of femaledom to choose your sexual companion and you chose a barely legal girl your wife adopted.”

I don’t really know my point, other than to say it icks me out. I do love his movies though, he’s a master writer and filmmaker. Maybe he’s just as weird in real life as one if his bizarre, neurotic, but entertaining characters?

To that last point, it turned out Louis C.K. was even more pathetic than his fictionalized characters and stand up act. Maybe to create great art you have to be off.

I’m somewhat amused by you posting this analysis because it’s like a microcosm of the identity politics movement. On one side you have esteemed clinical professionals trying to use science to take a sober look at a sensitive subject, and on the other side you have a social mob that takes no prisoners.

You don’t need an Ivy League degree to guess which one is going to win!

There is evidence to back this up. Only the whole history of art and science. Genius has its downside for sure.

If only we had an example of a man of science and a medical professional who raped his way through decades of women. Or you know, all those professionals who backed up Hysteria as an actual medical problem, that only women could get of course.

Like everything else, you have to use judgment, and a few questionable cases does not need to end a movement.

That sketch was my favorite of the show.

That is certainly the case.

What galls me is seeing Hollywood types sniffing the wind and piling on before their own careers are affected. I know the ‘witch hunt’ rhetoric has been thrown about rather freely, but in that particular case I see at work a mindset quite similar to what Arthur Miller described in The Crucible. Human nature doesn’t change, after all; and even in piling on to a worthy cause, people won’t necessarily be virtuous or place anything ultimately above self interest.

Sun Yi Previn could also be a driving factor in their relationship… what do we know? It looks like they are happily married for the last 20 years… Why not? I don’t see a gross relationship here …

Why is an age gap gross?

If both parties are legal then, imho, stfu and keep your opinions to yourself.

My dad was 56 when I was born. My mother considerably younger.

Yep I have a personal slant on the age division.

Namely, none of your business.

If woody allen, even now, decided to bang an 18 or an 80 y.o. fair play to him.

Not our business.

Doesn’t make him a child molester.

Doesn’t even make him weird.

I think that violating the “half age plus seven” or “twice age minus seven” norms is at least worth raising an eyebrow and clucking a tongue, even if it’s all perfectly legal. It doesn’t mean that someone should have their career ruined or even necessarily lose an Alabama Senate race, not without lots of other eyebrow-raising behavior.

There is an increased chance of Autism when the parents have a large age difference. So, there is that.

Nothing else I can think of, except that young people are stupid and shouldnt be allowed to date until they are 30. At least that’s what I tell my wife about our children. And like any good parent, that does make me a hypocrite.

Good question. It’s all about societal norms, and these norms assign extra protectiveness toward the young. Whether that’s an appropriate level of protection is beside the point, but the “grossness” comes from the sense that someone took advantage of a younger person’s inexperience to establish a relationship.

You’ve seen the Internet before, right? “Keeping your opinions to yourself” is kind of the antithesis. If you don’t like seeing them, you can always click the little “x” in the corner.

Good for you and your parents. However, be aware you’ve now shared a heretofore unknown aspect of your personal life it in this thread. Nobody was asking about it, so telling us it’s none of our business is a little… preemptive. Still, I commend your forthrightness.

It’s only “our business” so much as any celebrity’s personal life is “our business.” Theoretically, you’re spot on and it shouldn’t be. However, we don’t live in a theoretical world and the corner in which celebrities live is particularly nuts. Pretending otherwise doesn’t seem overly productive. Instead, addressing this aspect of the world and dealing with whatever comes seems to be the more adaptive behavior.

Sure it does. But guess what; I’m weird. So are likely the majority of the posters in this forum. Weird isn’t a judgement of character, but an observation of how much someone deviates from the norms. Allen deviates significantly in this respect.

Well no, I’d argue the case that an older man desiring a younger woman is not at all deviating from the normal, in any culture

What’s weird is people in society, and in my experience this is very much a western thing, attributing such negatives to this.

Collectively, and therefore “normal” does not in fact make it either right or normal in reality.

Not quite the same thing but the consumption of Macdonalds is widespread but is neither correct nor normal.

Puritanism is weird…and fucked up and hypocritical.

Back onto the thread topic, I said earlier there needs be a a very clear distinction between an illegal act/abuse of authority (the coach mentioned earlier etc. ) and what some people somewhere consider icky, or weird, because it’s outside their personal experience.

And #metoo runs a grave risk of crossing this line.

It’s not much of a jump to go from “Harvey Weinstein did x” to “I don’t like that this guy does/did this so I’m going to drag his name through the mud” which thankfully was averted with Aziz or whatever that comedians name is, but what seems to be happening with Allen.

Also, saying I can just click x, well you can do that too! ☺☺☺

I’m thinking some of what I said didn’t make sense to you, because frankly your response didn’t to me.

Please note: I’m not, nor is anyone here, telling you to not express your opinion. That’s what YOU told us to do:

Frankly, I’m happy to discuss the issue. Because yes, Puritanism is weird, #$^@ed up, and hypocritical. And no, “normal” doesn’t not make anything right. That was my point, in saying that most of us are “weird” and that isn’t a judgement of character, just an observation of deviation from the norms. That said, the age gap between Allen and his significant other is a deviation from the norm. Hence, it’s “weird.”

You seem to think I’m arguing you or taking some opposing stance; I’m not.

The stfu was aimed at people in general who want to use a “weird” thing to destroy a person.

Here is why Allen is beyond weird and into pervy disgusting territory.

Mia Farrow adopted a 5 year old Korean girl and started dating Allen about the same time/a year later. They were together for around 13 years. This entire time the little girl is in Allen’s life, he is watching her grow up as she’s his long term girlfriend’s daughter. So it begs the question, at what point does he become sexually attracted to this girl and think “yeah, I’ll date my girlfriend’s daughter”. Farrow and Allen may have dated for longer than 13 years (the daughter is around 18 at this time), but she finds NAKED POLAROIDS of her daughter in Allen’s possession, whom he had been around SINCE SHE WAS 5.

This led to the immediate termination of the relationship for obvious reasons, a betrayal of trust and infidelity WITH HER OWN DAUGHTER.

You can argue about societal norms and age differences all you like, but this is disgusting, pervy behavior and needs to be admonished. Allen is disgusting. Anyone defending him in this matter (not the alleged abuse, let’s leave this separate for now) is on the side of a creepy perv.

Now put yourself in Farrow’s place when she finds these naked pictures of one of her daughters on her boyfriend. Wouldn’t that raise all kinds of questions in her mind about his conduct with her other daughters? It sure would in my mind.

Allen is a creepy perv, full stop, end of argument.