The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

McGowan has been as mad as a box of frogs for years but even knowing this I would still support her over Weinsteins shenanigans.

Man, her speech cadences and overall attitude are so Gen-X. Makes me miss high school. Kinda funny someone like her made it as far into Hollywood stardom as she did.

Half of me wonders if this is a defamation campaign, to make her unreliable as a witness/accuser.

Man this whole (Weinstein, not metoo perse) situation is messy.

I’m still struggling to understand why he did what he did…

Yeah who knew that once you’re raped and have the courage to help start a movement you’d be required to act like a proper victim.

She’s clearly had a hard life. Nassar left dead bodies behind in his wake; Weinstein probably did too. Not everyone is going to recover in a sociably acceptable way; some won’t recover at all.

Well, if you listen to Nassar’s lawyer on the radio today Nassar did a lot of good for people and some of the women are obviously lying.

Did I mention the lawyer was a woman?

House of Cards is back in Netflix recommendation engine but interesting thumbnail image:

house-of-cards

I envision the web producer getting a ping from their boss:

“Let’s get House of Cards back in there. Just, y’know, keep Kevin Spacey’s face off the thumbnail…”

I’m imagining a filter like the Black Mirror White Christmas episode, where Kevin Spacey is blurred out every time he’s on screen

It’s interesting. If someone does a reprehensible thing, does that negate anything good they ever did?

I’m not sure how I feel about such a thing, or what I think the answer is.

There are number of Nazis who performed unspeakable experiments on people they didn’t consider people. Some of that research is useful… how do you feel about them?

I suspect there is a limit for everyone. The question is where is the tolerance.

Can you link to examples? I am curious, I don’t know of any Nazi research using human experiments being useful.

I think they had a good take on this (if not a good answer) on Feminist Frequency where the gist was basically: it’s complicated, and you have to decide for yourself how you feel about it, because there are no definite answers.

In Netflix’ case I guess it’s compounded by the fact that there were reports of Spacey harassing people on set of House of Cards, at least that’s what I recall reading? I would think that makes it harder for a company to be seen profiting from the product of such behaviour.

While not Nazis, I know the Japanese learned all kinds of stuff by experimenting of prisoners of war.

Well, I think there is a difference here. Let me explain.

The moral issue with accepting the fruits of unethical work, is that it potentially encourages such work in the future.

However, this is different from say, acting by an immoral person.

Spacey did bad stuff, but his acting was not bad. He wasn’t doing immoral stuff as part of his craft. I don’t think his being a bad person makes his acting worse, just like mel Gibson is an anti semitic nut, but mad Max is still awesome.

I think that the only real reason I can understand for abiding such art would be to try and deny the actor any profits that might be gained from me watching it.

Not much, but recovery techniques and survival from extreme hypothermia is one example. Mind, all of these things would have eventually been uncovered via humane experimentation, but Nazi’s couldn’t care less about their test subjects and therefore threw lives away in the process. However, the vast majority of their medical experiments were useless, as I understand it. Of course, one could argue for the value of a null hypothesis.

There’s actually a lot of information out there on what the Nazis did, whether it was necessary or if anything was expedited when the world was lacking bodies for studies and the Nazis were just basically making theirs. If you can get past some of the political stuff in this article you can find names at least and some idea to find other sources.

Here is another one… this stuff keeps coming up now and then.

I am not sure I am going to say this right or not, but if it turns out that someone like Nassar saved lives or even helped someone win a gold, I consider the fact he raped his way throughout his career absolutely negates any good he did.

That’s kind of like some of these anatomists trying to claim they didn’t cause the murders, they just used the bodies. Or hey, just because Nassar raped some girl at the age of 9 and she wins she is 16… that we should celebrate his good work. It’s very possible if Nassar were removed, if Spacey had been replaced, we could have received someone just as good or maybe even better. We don’t know.

Rape can destroy lives. Maybe some of lost actors and actresses would still be with us if someone didn’t victimize them, and who is to say their predator is better than they would have been? Who is to say that maybe if they weren’t victims they might not be strung out on drugs on talk shows later in life and chosen a better, fruitful and maybe spectacular career.

Spacey’s actions totally removed from acting doesn’t make his acting in a movie any less good. And appreciating that acting doesn’t encourage his bad behavior. You can still totally condemn him as a bad person.

I am not going to be able to look at Kevin Spacey and forget what he did, anymore than I can watch one of our most celebrated movies and not remember the winning actress in that movie was not allowed to use the front entrance to get her reward.

The man is the actor, and the means do not justify the end. At least with Weinstein, you don’t see him in all the movies he touched.If you can do that, look at Spacey in his movies then and not think about him now, all the power to you. The end result does not justify the means to me, and I can only imagine how many careers and souls he might have crushed on his way to the top. To me, that taints his performance, a lot.

I also don’t enjoy Dilbert comics anymore… And I wasn’t angry at Hoffman for the works he has yet to do either when I cursed at him. Kids are lucky. They don’t wind up finding about their heroes for years to come.

But we aren’t talking about means to an end.

It’s different from Weinstein, who actually did terrible stuff directly in relation to his work.

Spacey’s terrible stuff had nothing to do with his acting.

He’s still a terrible person. The kid was, what 14? And yes, some of the allegations were while he was working… with people he worked with.

I had a real hard time watching Mel Gibson after his incidents. The Nazi rants and then the voicemails to his wife, he was a monster.

I’m softening to him now. Lately he’s been owning up to what a shithead he was and trying to be a better man.

I don’t think you have to stop watching Kevin Spacey if you are able to separate the man from the art. A lot of people can’t.

It’s not an unreasonable suggestion to remove the person from their art when time kicks in. Deprive the world of the Beatles catalogue because Lennon was a wife beater? Remove Picasso “For me there are only two kinds of women, goddesses and doormats” from galleries and texts because he was misogynist? and if, like above story about Nazi medical experiments, modern day artists should be uncomfortable with using the fruits of unethical labour, how do we approach Cubism? or singing a Beatles cover?