The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

She doesn’t even forgive herself. There were hundreds of women who came after her targeted by Weinstein. It’s not her fault, but she said it was in her release, and this is bigger than Uma. We’re not talking about one or two cases here, Weinstein preyed on women for years, for decades.

As a society, we have to say, that is not okay, and actually do something about it so it does not happen again. In order to do that, we have to find out how the hell a man like that was allowed to remain loose as he did… and part of that are the people who knew and did nothing or very little like Tarantino. He says he respected her… how exactly did he do that? By holding her tape for years, by setting up an encounter with the Weinstein, the guy that tried to victimize her for an apology and he wasn’t even there, by putting her in a car she wasn’t comfortable driving… maybe he needs to be taught what respect actually is.

I know they worked together and ascribing responsibility is tricky, but did you mix up the names Tarantino and Weinstein by accident?

Oops, you added a paragraph. Never mind!

I think he’s in the process of doing that in a big way!

Then let’s not give him a pass. He made mistakes. He might be owning up to some of them but Weinstein was on the loose, for years. Nothing Taratino has said at this point has given the impression he actually respected Uma as an actress or a woman at that time. 15 years later does change that.

You can forgive someone and hold them accountable at the same time. We need to make sure this industry is safe, and if the people in the industry are not part of the solution, they’re part of the problem. So the next time someone tries to rape someone, don’t set-up an apology session so you can keep making movies, an apology session he did not even go to… If that interviewer was doing anything but damage control for him, maybe he should ask him what he plans to do differently the next time. And if he doesn’t have an answer, then it’s time to get people involved to help teach them what that answer and actions should be.

What has changed What is the lasting result of knowing that rapists were on the loose in the industry for years? Weinstein was only part of that problem… he had hundreds, maybe thousands behind him.

I agree with you, Nesrie, but I feel you’re overstating things dramatically. That ends up encouraging something inside of me that wants to disagree with you by defending certain choices or behaviors.

Without any evidence that Tarantino was directly complicit in Weinstein’s crimes, he’s going to be just fine in the long run. As it should be, IMO.

Is it our job to give or not give him a pass? His industry will determine that, the success of his movies will determine that. I feel a little self conscious trying to judge others on the small things. Granted I have no trouble judging them on the big things,

You know, this type of stuff seems funny on the surface, but just seems a bit too similar to, “She could rape me any time.”

I don’t really love the whole, “What’s she complaining about, for the right price I could be degraded too,” theme of jokes.

What do you mean overstating? The number of women hit by this, by this one guy even, is not a few. The spread of this rape culture in the movie industry exceeds Weinstein, but he seems to be, hopefully at the top of this problem. And people knew, not just a few. Agencies, actors, actresses… read Uma’s response when she says she felt responsible for women who came after her… she shouldn’t have had to experience it, wear that burden, endure it, beg for footage years later, he managed to victimize her through a car accident even, one they had all this time… and I am overstating things because Taratino, a friend of Weinstein, someone who knew of at least of couple of these cases, via his own words, a man who had a voice, might have been able to step forward… and now he has people questioning what he did and how he reacted and that’s not okay? Why?

How do we stop something if we aren’t willing to go the uncomfortable route and actually point out it could have been stopped here, or there or maybe over somewhere over there?

When it’s not fun and it’s uncomfortable and we keep going, maybe we can help avoid future sexual harassment, assaults and rape.

I was directly replying to Guap’s comment. Not to your imagined scenario.

So did you expect Tarantino, who did apparently talk to Weinstein and get him to apologize (for what it was worth) to Thurman, to then take this info to the press or something? What did you expect him to do? I don’t know (we don’t know) if any person knew the full extent of his depravity until the big story came out. perhaps if anyone did it was his brother and others with his company who had apparently made payouts to women by then.

Lots of people have pointed out that it could have been stopped there, even Tarantino. I dare say it is a popular sentiment. Tarantino has had to answer for his part in a very public/high profile manner over the last couple of months. I don’t know what kind of further outcome you are looking for with regards to the part he played in this.

It’s just a gut-level emotional response. Your fury is entirely reasonable and noble of intent yet I still respond negatively to your fierceness. Perhaps it’s because you don’t acknowledge the complexities involved in determining what Tarantino knew, when he knew it, and what more he could have done. It’s true that he has a penis, but I can still access empathy for him having to carry a burden of guilt going forward much like the one you describe Uma carrying.

You know… my response would be no different if Tarantino was a woman. I have no idea why you felt the need to even post that.

My fierceness is due to the fact we’re talking about people being sexual assaulted and worse, and this isn’t just Tarantino, this is a Weinstein casej, wrapped in here and someone just posted a article from a guy who clearly hates MeToo titled Tarantino explains everything where he certainly does not explain everything but he tries to defend some things.

He doesn’t really explain why he thinks setting up a victim with their assailant for a solo apology if even remotely a good idea either.

Specifically, I think you saying “hundred or even thousands” were behind Weinstein is an overstatement. Guilt by association is dangerous, delicate business.

And regardless of the actual number, the folks enabling Harvey most likely thought they were enabling consensual “casting couch” hook-ups not rape.

Weinstein’s actions and behaviors are described as a wide open secret hidden behind closed hollywood doors. Carrier Fischer knew, his victims new, tons of people knew. It’s not an exaggeration.

I don’t know that anyone put it all together in aggregate fashion.

You know he has almost 100 accusers now… and some of the suspected ones are dead. those are just the people that came forward, not the ones that knew.

Not quite the same kind of thing as most of this thread:
http://www.cnn.com/2018/02/07/politics/rob-porter-ex-wives-white-house/index.html

Rob Porter, a top White House aide with regular access to President Donald Trump abruptly resigned on Wednesday amid abuse allegations from two ex-wives, who each detailed to CNN what they said were years of consistent abuse from Porter, including incidents of physical violence.

Why did I put it here instead of “Failing Trump administration”?
Because he was both protected and promoted by Kelly and others even though they knew:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/07/politics/rob-porter-white-house-who-knew/index.html

By early fall, it was widely known among Trump’s top aides – including chief of staff John Kelly – both that Porter was facing troubles in obtaining the clearance and that his ex-wives claimed he had abused them. No action was taken to remove him from the staff.
Instead, Kelly and others oversaw an elevation in Porter’s standing. He was one of a handful of aides who helped draft last week’s State of the Union address. He traveled instead of Kelly to the World Economic Forum in Davos last month. And he was one of a select group of aides who shook Chinese President Xi Jinping’s hand during a state visit to Beijing in November.

In the 2003 interview, Tarantino called Geimer a “party girl” who “wanted to have it and dated” the 42-year-old Polanski. “He didn’t rape a 13-year-old,” Tarantino said to Stern. “He had sex with a minor. That’s not rape.”

Apparently he’s still in apology mode, but for a different reason.