The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

Yeah I haven’t read the article but immediately i can’t help but wonder what his aim is. Seems like basic common sense not to expose yourself like that.

To be honest I think it’s as much an age gap as anything. Catherine Denevue got into social media’s bad graces recently with a similar argument, though she backtracked eventually.

Coming out of the 60s-70s sexual revolution there was a sense that women could “do what they want”. If a woman ‘danced with the devil’ to get a spot in Hollywood, than that was on her.

While Gilliam and Denevue are basically misunderstanding what’s going on, and not understanding the dynamics of abusing authority - it’s one thing to say a woman sleeps her way to the top, it’s another to excuse a system that tacitly expects men to abuse their authority in order to get women do to this - i think their generation’s misunderstanding of #metoo comes down to the current generation’s and their generation’s understanding of agency.

A lot of the arguments and, well, way women feel today, is that they don’t have total agency over their decisions. Gilliam and Denevue are coming from that older perspective that women are now “perfectly liberated” and have total agency. And they also find it disturbing to imply that women even when they aren’t being forced, still lack perfect agency, because there’s an underlying and very impolite to speak of assumption about the differing natures between men and women that modern feminists assume to be self-evident to the point of not needing - and even insulting - to bring up, but which their generation “got past” in the 60s.

Maybe Gilliam does know what he’s saying?

Guy farts like crazy.

I guess to get funding for a movie Gilliam is used to dropping his trousers and bending over?

Who knew China’s 911 number was 119? How contrarian.

Nickelodeon is cutting ties to producer Dan Schneider. They didn’t mention why, per se, but there had been rumors about his creepy conduct with his young cast members for years.

It’s the same in Japan. Maybe we’re doing it wrong?

Obligatory The IT Crowd mention

Man, Nick’s having a rough couple of years here.

Schneider headed up major Nick properties for decades, from All That and Kenan & Kel in the 90s to Drake & Josh and iCarly in the 00s to Henry Danger and Game Shakers now. It was never clear how much the pedo thing was just 4chan meming vs him being a straight up creep, but the evidence has been piling for awhile now, and the firing seems to lend it a lot more credence.

They also recently canned Chris Savino after years of sexual harrassment rumors. He headed up their big hit show The Loud House but has served as a director, animator, writer, etc., for tons of their big shows like Dexter’s Lab and Hey, Arnold for, again, decades.

Butch Hartman, who created The Fairly Oddparents like 17 years ago or something absurd, also just walked in the last year or so after being with the studio for 20 years. At least he probably wasn’t molesting anyone.

Moreover, Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of Spongebob Squarepants, just recently announced that he’s suffering from ALS, so I suspect he’ll be wrapping up his career with them soon, if he hasn’t already.

Of course, clearing out probable garbage like Schneider and Savino is obviously massively for the best, but the studio is going to be spinning around in circles searching for what amounts to a whole new generation of showrunners to fill the enormous gaps they’re gonna have to deal with now.

how the fuck do you know this much about nickolodeon

Nickelodeon is going to be state television in the People’s Republic of Penbladia. Better brush up now, comrade!

I had heavy wikipedia help. I was reading some news articles about the blows they’ve taken lately and realized a couple of the names sounded familiar from my own childhood and started reading up and realized that the guys who have been fired or left recently are major players at the studio.

He probably got all the info from this site called Armandopedia. Some dude out east that is REALLY into Nick set it up a while ago.

Every thread needs an obligatory IT Crowd mention.

This forum needs a like button.

In Japan, they don’t name the streets, they name the building blocks. The streets are what are between the named areas, opposite to us :).

Also, the numbers in the buildings correlate to which part was built first, not which is first on the street.

We are so doing it wrong!

Also, apparently, in China, some doctors get paid only when you are well. Should you fall sick you don’t pay them, as it is a failure on their part.

THANK YOU for saying out loud what is in my head.

[in which Armando remembers the rest of the forum is 60 years old]