The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

Maybe. Or maybe we’re talking about a coven of witches.

It’s a pretty exclusive club and it seems like a ton of people knew about it and had known about it for decades and kept quiet.

Yeah, there has to be a difference between the Silence of the Lambs shit Weinstein pulled and say, Affleck being a young, drunk asshole and doing drive by butt grabs at parties. They are rungs of the same ladder but there is a lot of context needed to focus the lens of scrutiny and justice. Not everything is a nail in need of a sledgehammer.

Yeah, this could be a secret society of predators. Let’s certainly root them out, but let’s not ruin every man’s reputation in the process. Those interrogation lights can be pretty glaring, let’s make sure we aren’t blinding people while searching.

I wonder if Weinstein will kill himself…

I wont disagree with that, but all one really has to do is keep their head down. At the end of the day it takes a unification and a series of these things to make a dent. Affleck will likely be fine unless you have a dozen people coming out saying he did shit to them too. I get what you’re saying though.

Doubt it. He strikes me as too egotistical to do it. Maybe if he’s truly ruined, but even then he’s still someone who is rich as fuck with tons of connections he can access once things die down. Worst case scenario for him is probably he is forced into exile in the French Riveria.

I think it’s great that women finally feel they have a voice. That it’s important that if some asshole grabbed someone’s boob then they’re getting called out for it. That shit isn’t ok, at a party, at work, in a cab, etc. Pile it on - the only people that should be worried are the assholes that have been doing this sort of thing. Because let’s be honest - it’s not a single boob grab at a party. If you’re the type that does that then it’s part of your usual MO and multiple publicly known incidents start establishing a pattern. Women have been conditioned to accept it and be silent lest they lose what little position or power they’ve earned in the workplace, Hollywood in this case. I’m not sure how calling out someone for being an asshole is ruining their reputation. Isn’t it more a case of revealing them for what they are? Maybe that reputation really wasn’t all that well deserved.

Sure, I have no problem with people being called out for bad behavior. Let’s not paint everyone with the same brush though.

Courtney Love in 2005:

This assumes all accusations are honest and accurate.

The alternative for the legitimate incidents is what though? Stay silent?

Well, that’s kind of what investigations are for. Before Twitter you actually had to go to the police and file a report instead of blasting out an accusation on Twitter in whatever mood or mental state you are in at the time.

Enter one of the enduring problems of human society. Give it another 5000 years, maybe we’ll solve it; meantime we stumble along.

OK cool, these women should keep their mouths quiet and go to the police, where it will surely be taken 100% seriously. Unknown poor actress/model/waitress says Hollywood god assaulted her - that’ll go well in the courts. Or rich powerful real estate asshole. How’d that turn out?

Yes, that’s exactly what I said.

That was a reply to Guap - yours snuck in there while I was typing. Relying on the police, HR, whatever, is what allowed Weinstein to get away with his crap all these years.

I wonder if Weinstein is thinking of getting out of Europe soon, cause Scotland Yard is now on his ass.

The dude really ought to give away his fortune to charity and victims and just blow his brains out.

In America, anyway, we have a right to face our accusers, its a fundamental right of the justice system. Blasting out an accusation on Twitter is hardly in the spirit of that idea.

I don’t have a perfect solution for this but remember two things about our modern society:

1. The police have and will continue to start investigations based solely on social media posts.

2. Unfortunately, many women have lied about, exaggerated, or totally fabricated these kinds of accusations for various reasons. You really do have some kind of presumption of innocence, particularly for isolated cases.

…and people wonder why women don’t speak up about being sexually assaulted more.

You’re adorable, and by that I mean disgusting.

You’ve got to be kidding me, right?

Yeah, let’s just throw due process out the window. That will serve us well. Accusation comes with mandatory judgement and sentencing. Let me know how that system works for you.

Is this why we can’t have any progress or discussion on this issue?

Yep, totally baffling.

I mean, sure. Weinstein’s own company has come forward to acknowledge the truth of the accusations leveled against him, and we’ve discovered that they wrote frightening, weird language into his contract to shield themselves just because they knew something like this would eventually blow up…

…but man. Where the fuck do these women get off, accusing him publicly? Bitches, right?