The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

The legal age of consent in France is way too young, at least in my book. Maybe not yours. I’m not talking about a 20 something with an 11 year old, which was not legal. I’m talking about the legal age. Too young.

In the US, the most common age of legal consent is 16.

In France, it is illegal to have sex with anyone under 15. The charges differ depending on whether there is legal consent, but it’s a crime regardless.

You aren’t telling me anything I didn’t already know. It doesn’t change my opinion - the age of consent in France is too low. It’s too low in most of the US states, imo, as well.

Oh man, seems like he was pretty busy on the harassment front. Say it ain’t so, Mo’!

God damnit.

I wonder if we’ll see news about Vancouver suddenly having a change of heart after this.

Well shit, that’s an unpleasant surprise.

Nobody could believe the extent and the frequency of the accusations. None of Freeman’s long-time fans could believe that this grandfatherly-seeming man with the distinctive and soothing voice that oozed charm and trust from every syllable could be capable of such crass and despicable behavior.
(Morgan Freeman Voice): “But I was…”

The other incidents quoted are similar. I wonder if this will encourage others to come out where he did go farther, or if this is the extent of it? On the scale of inappropriate behavior this definitely sounds worse than Al Franken, but not as bad as most people mentioned in this thread.

16 people part of the investigation, so far. Not to say they’re all victims but… Yeah, my feelings exactly.

Yeah, in the spectrum of bad acts, I think I’d agree.

Might as well toss this one in here.

I admit I’d like to believe Woody is innocent but I would also admit the possibility that an artist I admire is also a rapist (see: Polanski, Roman). It just chafes me that this single allegation which was publicly adjudicated 25 years ago gets rolled up into the #metoo thing, plus of course Ronan can now do no wrong.

Thanks for sharing that, Gordon. That’s a pretty heavy weight on one side of the scale.

Regarding Morgan Freeman, I’m not condoning or defending his actions, but they do just sound like a creepy old uncle/man, and god knows there’s no shortage of them.

If #metoo is going to go after people being creep or unsmooth, then it’ll never end.

From the article, the worst thing I could see there was asking if someone liked to be sexually harassed. That’s all sorts of weird.

Imho it’s nothing compared to inviting people up into his hotel room, locking his office, asking people what they thought about his dick.

Maybe he did those things too?

I’m not sure I see a downside to society as a whole saying, “Hey, being a creepy skeevy perv towards women is bad, let’s work together to stop that.”

Yeah, bring it on. Sexual harassment in the workplace shouldn’t exist, whether on movie/TV sets or a regular office. There’s obviously a huge difference between full on rape, pressuring underlings for sex, and inappropriate touching/comments but it’s all on the same spectrum. He used his fame, position of power, etc, to make people he worked with extremely uncomfortable in a very inappropriate manner at the very least.

There’s stuff worse than just asking if someone liked to be harassed. Unwanted touching? Attempts to lift a woman’s skirt to see her underwear in a professional working environment? Constant comments about their bodies?

This. Skeevy catcalling and stuff is bad, but a random stranger on the street doesn’t have power over you. You’re some 20 something production assistant on a movie and Morgan Freedman starts making moves? That’s a lot different and scarier. Those in power need to live up to the responsibilities of their position. Of course, having Trump as the president makes all of that sound like BS.

Most of the accounts were of inappropriate remarks, but there were clearly some of unwanted contact. That’s a step beyond being “a creep/unsmooth” in my book, especially in the context of the workplace.

I agree that this isn’t as bad as a lot of the other revelations in the #metoo movement, but it is also bad. Reporting on it is the right thing to do, I hope the response is appropriate, but if there’s an overreaction, that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t have been reported on.

Yeah, I can’t imagine a man in our workplace trying to lift a woman’s skirt and asking her if she has underwear on. It would get him fired. That’s pretty far over the line.

Inappropriate remarks are a bit different. You probably talk to the guy, give a warning, and see if he straightens up. If he doesn’t, he has to go.