The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

The newest statement by Morgan Freeman. I’m really on the fence on this one. I certainly don’t want it to be true, but my 3 strikes and your out rule on these things seems to be pretty reliable.

As expected…

Chris Hardwick (from the Nerdist/Talking Dead) now.

Jesus what a nightmare…

I actually used to listen to his podcast for a while a few years ago and he always did feel rather fake and a bit too self-serving. Unfortunately her horrible experiences don’t really surprise me that much.

The nerdist podcast has changed recently. Well, I didn’t listen often, but it really makes it tough to continue.

What a slimy piece of crap. Hope he goes down like all the rest.

I don’t really care what happens to Hardwick at the end of the day, but I do like a lot of things that have come out of Nerdist, so I’m hoping the organization comes out reasonably well in the end.

Well that was fast. The top is The Nerdist’s old About page. The bottom is the page as of a couple of hours ago.

Ooph. This is tough to find out about and read, as I’ve been a fan of Hardwick’s stuff since I started listening to Nerdist years and years ago, right after it started in fact. Dammit.

Wow. Someone loosed the lightning of the terrible swift sword.

Well, it was an easy decision for them, I suppose. Technically, he’s been off of Nerdist for a year or so.

The real test is what AMC and Comic-Con does.

Why, why, why would you stay with someone like that? That Dykstra woman sounds insane. She could have and should have walked at any point. Before they stated dating, he said she wouldn’t be allowed to drink if they were together. She knew all these weird conditions for being with some C-list celebrity. Why put up with it? It sounds so dumb and self serving. Was she homeless before that or something? Is this a common thing, letting someone completely control you? Where were her parents and friends through out all this?

I don’t understand this incessent need to be famous or around fame. It must ruin your judgement.

Without excusing a single other thing in that long litany of offenses, the drinking thing sounds very reasonable to me from both sides: You’ve got a guy who doesn’t trust himself around alcohol asking his girlfriend not to drink when they’re together. That sounds like a reasonable ask on his part (especially just as the relationship is beginning), and if I were the girl I imagine I would be relieved to see that my (potential) man was so serious about staying away from the sauce.

Unhealthy relationships are not unique to celebrity groups, no matter how famous or not famous they are. There are a number of women in these kinds of relationships.

It has nothing to do with fame. Regular people do it all the time.

The article is valuable to me because it’s all about agency. I’d never expect this kind of terrible unhealthy relationship from someone not in a terrible power balance. What did this woman get out of this? Or is it a matter of her being broken and of terrible judgement before they even met?

Something or someone must have tragically broken her self esteem. But how does that happen? And how so young, with what I assume was a middle upper class background (I take it she was a cosplayer or something).

Kids with someone is a whole other ballpark, I understand that dynamic, it’s all too common.

There are innumerable stories about this, both fictional and not. Go watch the movie Waitress with Keri Russell. It’s great by itself, but it’s also a great portrayal of a woman trapped in an abusive relationship.