The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

So can we take out Oliver Stone and Guap with the same drone strike or what? How does this work? Do we have to call guap out on Twitter first to follow protocol?

Nah, I like Guap. I just disagree with him here. I think that accusers have the same rights to air it out if they want in situations such as these, especially if there’s reasonable cause to believe them.

Oliver Stone on the other hand…;)

This former Naughty Dog environmental artist dropped a bomb on Naughty Dog and Sony.

https://twitter.com/dbal/status/919284577566412801

In February 2016 I had a mental breakdown at work & Sony Playstation HR became involved. When I told them about the harassment they… 2/

…ended the call and fired me the next day. They cited the company was moving in a different direction and my job was no longer needed. 3/

They tried to silence me by offering $20,000 if I signed a letter agreeing to the termination as well as to not discuss it with anyone. 4/

I declined to sign. I have been unemployed for 17 months since. When interviewers ask why I left Naughty Dog, I say I was burned out… 5/

…by the crunch, ashamed to get to the root of the problem of being sexually harassed. 6/

I’m speaking out now because of the strength I’ve seen in others coming forward about their experiences in the TV/Film industry. 7/

This is the hardest thing I’ve ever done. I will not let anyone kill my drive or love for the video game industry, my passions or life. /END

Naughty Dog and Sony deny it.

https://www.naughtydog.com/blog/an_important_statement_from_naughty_dog

We have recently read on social media that an ex-employee of Naughty Dog, Dave Ballard, claims he was sexually harassed when he worked at Naughty Dog. We have not found any evidence of having received allegations from Mr. Ballard that he was harassed in any way at Naughty Dog or Sony Interactive Entertainment. Harassment and inappropriate conduct have no place at Naughty Dog and Sony Interactive Entertainment. We have taken and always will take reports of sexual harassment and other workplace grievances very seriously. We value every single person who works at Naughty Dog and Sony interactive Entertainment. It is of utmost importance to us that we maintain a safe, productive workplace environment that allows us all to channel our shared passion for making games.

So… the strike on Stone is still on, right?

I agree with Guap 100%. We must always guard against trial by media.The evidence against Harvey Weinstein seems overwhelming but we cannot afford witch hunts. Fabricated accusations can torpedo a life as effectively as real incidents.

I’m sure the usual group will be along shortly to snidely point out to you that you’re part of the problem and complicit in these acts happening, simply because you don’t immediately buy in to their anti-intellectual groupthink on whatever the current cause célèbre is.

To be clear I am not defending Weinstein. I’m trying to make people take just a little pause before we drag everyone who comments on this offhand to hell with him.

I mean… Stone and Allen are already worthy of being drug to hell, so…

I’m just glad people are finally starting to stand up for guys like Weinstein, Stone, etc. All this anti-intellectual groupthink might really hurt their careers.

And again the point goes right over your head. Lump all of humanity into two categories you have made up in your own head like a dichotomous thinker if you like. It does you a great disservice, but its not my place to judge you or offer direction.

There are in fact two categories here - those who sexually assault others and those who don’t. Weinstein is pretty clearly in the former. That last comment wasn’t directed towards you though. I get what you’re saying, that some of these accusations might not be true. And if they’re not true then I hope that the accusers pay the consequences for it. But after years of (mostly) women being abused and feeling powerless to do anything about it, I think it’s great to see them finding their voice.

So let me ask this: why is it more socially acceptable for many men to buy into something, like, say Michael Jackson serial child molestation guilt (of which he did get his day in court, and was acquitted of all criminal charges, even while civil actions were settled out of court)? But in the case of Harvey Weinstein, where we have multiple, collaborated reports of his abuse coming out from multiple sources, as well as admission by his own company (and a paper trail to back it up) that he was definitely a serial sexual harasser and abuser, that we want to tap the brakes?

I think the current atmosphere of coming forward with stories of sexual abuse is a welcome change of pace from the usual silence and fear. What you’re doing, perhaps unintentionally, is saying that this isn’t a good thing. You’re right that individual accusations and incidents need to be examined carefully but there’s a big difference between a community coming together to share their experiences as a form of healing through change and a witchhunt.

Emma Thompson is awesome. Her quote at the end of this clip seems relevant here.

Obviously Weinstein is entitled to a fair trial before he gets thrown in jail. At some point in the court of public opinion, we have all the evidence we need Weinstein, Cosby, Weiner, Clinton, Trump all sexual predators to a significant degree.

I’m with Triggercut sure it is possible that Oliver Stone is just being cautious and asking people to not get ahead of themselves and convict the guy before all the evidence is in. But given that Oliver Stone has seldom met a conspiracy theory he hasn’t embraced, the far more likely theory is that Oliver Stone, as a big time Hollywood director*, is saying “Oh shit I do stuff like that”. I’m guessing the Playmate is just one of many for him.

*I’m pretty sure that a director is at the top of the Hollywood elite, above a mere producer, so a director like Stone should be getting more pussy than Weinstein.

I found this opinion piece to be worth reading. Still processing my own reactions, but it got me thinking.

I liked it also I especially appreciated her honesty in this.

but also the bad boyfriends whom I forgave, even when it was over something like using a condom. My silence, too, protected them.

As your stereotypically nerdy nice guy in my early 20s, I often watched in a combination of horror, incomprehension, and some jealousy, as some guys would routinely do stuff that would be classified as sexual harassment or assault today. Sometimes the girls would slap them or yell at them, but often the women welcomed the attention. They sure got laid more than I did.

I’m not convinced things have changed that much. In another forum, with a lot of young women, there was a discussion about how common rape and assault is. Many young women described going through the same stuff Harvey, Cosby, Trump and Clinton did. It was easy to understand why the girl didn’t press charges with the police when her boyfriend raped her in the evening. After all they had voluntarily had sex in the morning. But what don’t get is why she stuck with the guy through drug re-hab, another rape, and just a couple of months ago married the guy. It seems me a bad boy is a bad boy, but clearly, I don’t understand women.

On the other hand, we have some very good advice for our people. “Do not go into a room alone with another female without the presence of a 3rd party.”

All it takes to ruin your work is for the person to run out screaming and you’re finished.

Being flippant in how we handle relationships with the opposing sex is a sure invitation to disaster. We would expect the guys at the top to follow the rules they set for their employees.

https://twitter.com/SebGorka/status/917957476712112128

Edit: Weinstein’s NYT lawsuit’s not happening and his lawyer, Charles Harder, quit a week ago.

It’s crazy to think that just over a week ago, he felt confident enough to release this statement:

“The story sounds so good I want to buy the movie rights.”

Why would a person in a work environment run screaming from a room with another person?