The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

So should things like sex crimes be the exception to the general notion of a “right to be forgotten” that you are seeing with respect to EU type privacy rules?

Why?

I don’t what privacy rules you’re talking about. I was given an Act and on the same link, the Act has a literal list of exceptions to this otherwise generous sounding rehabilitation idea.

It’s less a specific act, and more privacy rulings by EU courts to my understanding. It is almost the definition of what is being discussed here. At what point does a person have a right to a fresh start? At what point does a person have a right to no longer be haunted by past mistakes?

And if we say never for sex crimes, I think we have to explain why.

Do you have the same concerns, for example, regarding working with someone involved in a brutal robbery, or a long ago murder?

My gut reaction here is that this reaction is nearly entirely related to it being sex, women, and children. I’m not sure that justifies it. People keep talking about “working with kids,” but this particular story has nothing to do with that.

I’m willing to bet, but can’t obviously know for sure, that Olivia Munn would have had no issue if this guy had instead beaten someone nearly to death in a bar fight 15 years ago. No one seems to have a problem working with Mark Wahlberg, for example.

I think SlyFrog is talking about the European Right To Be Forgotten. Interestingly I just read this paragraph from Wikipedia.

“There is a longstanding belief in the United Kingdom, specifically under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act that after a certain period of time, many criminal convictions are “spent”, meaning that information regarding said person should not be regarded when obtaining insurance or seeking employment. Similarly, France values this right - le droit à l’oubli (the right to be forgotten).”

“Views on the right to be forgotten differ greatly between America and EU countries. In America, transparency, the right of free speech according to the First Amendment and the right to know have typically been favored over the obliteration of truthfully published information regarding individuals and corporations.”

This is an interesting cultural distinction.

Draxen, you got it.

Well said. I understand Olivia Munn’s position and I can think of other situations (like I outlined in a previous post) where I could see legitimate cause for concern. But we have to offer people who have served their time a path to a decent life. It’s possible for people to make mistakes, even terrible ones, and reform.

The conflation of drug dealing with being a sexual predator is ridiculous.

Olivia Munn has been sexually harassed and exploited to some extent for practically her entire career. She has more than enough reason to want to know whether someone is a convicted sexual predator before she agrees to work with that person. Especially when the specific circumstances of his sexual predation being that Olivia Munn could have easily been one of his victims in the past if she happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It’s just not the same thing at all with being a convicted drug dealer.

Sure. Drug dealers don’t get added to a sex offender registry, for starters. But what if a sex offender gets imprisoned, receives therapy, medication, or otherwise reforms his life. Should he/she not be allowed to work in the movie industry? What are the acceptable industries they can work in, if so?

She should absolutely not be given information about a co-workers previous history especially if she has cause for vigilantism due to her own past experiences.

This responsibility should lie entirely with the employer who must protect all of their employees. Both Olivia Munn and those with possible previous convictions.

If this guy raped her or another woman he worked with, everyone realizes that not only would that guy face criminal charges and probably wind up in jail, the studio, his friend, everyone involved could easily be sued, in the USA.

When someone is a rapist of underage girls, I’m sorry if it’s difficult for me to get all fluffy about his “reformation”.

He didn’t rape her, but he was stopped by authorities, not self control

The problem with sexual predators is they tend be sexual predators… it’s not just a crime; it’s a behavior.

I understand the gut reaction. But what would you prefer in that case, life imprisonment? That’s not rhetorical.

He was a 40 year old trying to court a 14-year old. He would have raped her. And my guess is that she probably wasn’t the first potential or actual victim.

He’s a rapist of a 14-year old by my book. I know that’s not legally enforceable, but I’m not prosecuting him.

And it’s not my job to determine his sentencing. But I would never want to put my children near him. I wouldn’t want anyone I know to work with him. And I can certainly understand why Olivia Munn would never want to associate with or be associated with him.

I can entirely understand this. I can empathize completely. If the criminal acts are so absolutely heinous how can we see past them?
They fucking deserve punishment.

However, at what point can (and does) redemption occur?
Society must also protect the criminals as well as the victims. Scandinavia has taken this approach with positive results.

I get how gross the crime is, not trying to defend the guy. I completely understand your reaction as well, if I had a daughter I wouldn’t want her near him either. But if a criminal of this nature can’t move past the crime and rebuild their life, then what are we doing letting them out of prison in the first place? Letting them out of jail but then not providing any means for them to sustain themselves just doesn’t seem workable. If a society deems that such a person can never be trusted to be reformed, then they should remain in prison and not in the general public.

Personally, I can’t follow that road. Especially since that will include all those stories of now-19 year olds having relationships with minors and getting the scarlet letter for life.

For a child rapist, capital punishment is preferable.

So you’re hire him and put him around your children and women you care about? You’ll take that risk, right now?

You literally just quoted me saying I understand the reaction and I wouldn’t want my daughter near him.

To reiterate, I’m not defending the guy. And to clarify, I’m not angry at Olivia Munn either.

As an individual I can empathize. As a society I absolutely disagree. The moment you execute someone then you remove all possibility of redemption and rehabilitation.