The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

Maybe because people already answered that question upthread?

I was looking at a 1994 study from the Bureau of Justice Statistics rather than the 2002 one you found. There is a 2018 study, but they lumped homicide into “violent crime” so you can’t really see if the numbers changed a lot.

Yeah, since they apparently haven’t done a study longer than nine years, I shouldn’t have said “ever”, but the three-year number is normally cited by criminologists because the vast majority of recidivists are re-arrested in the first three years. There is a plateau after the first few years (the following is for ALL crimes; the recidivism-rate for violent crimes is less, but follows a similar parabolic curve):

Now that I look at it, my phrasing was incorrect: I said only 1.2% commit homicide [in the following 3 years], but that’s wrong: only 1.2% are ever ARRESTED for homicide; presumably the conviction rate is less than 1.2%

Aren’t most murderers known to their victims? That might have at least a little to do with the relatively low rate of recidivism among them. Wouldn’t make me any more comfortable to work alongside someone that was able to cross that line, even knowing they’re unlikely to repeat. My feelings have changed quite a bit since becoming a parent though, as I’ve become much more aware of the people that could be around our daughters. If I didn’t have kids then I think I’d be more willing to be around former felons.

Yeah, from memory something like 90% of homicides are between family members and/or “friends”, and like 85% of murderers turn themselves over to the police within an hour of the crime.

Most murderers are not serial killers or you know killers for hire, so I suspect they don’t repeat very often but that doesn’t mean everyone wants to work with a murder. Having said that, we have a registered sex offender list, that is public, and we don’t do the same for these other crimes. Trying to sex a registered sex offender has some magical right to privacy is clearly false… this is public information. I could find a map right now and find a fair amount of information on them.

Norm Mcdonald is not having a very good time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/09/12/norm-macdonald-deeply-sorry-for-saying-louis-c-k-and-roseanne-barr-were-treated-too-harshly/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.05738131baa2

“There are very few people that have gone through what they have, losing everything in a day,” said Macdonald, referring to C.K. and Barr. “Of course, people will go, ‘What about the victims?’ But you know what? The victims didn’t have to go through that.”

His apology was quick in coming:

“Roseanne and Louis have both been very good friends of mine for many years,” he tweeted. “They both made terrible mistakes and I would never defend their actions. If my words sounded like I was minimizing the pain that their victims feel to this day, I am deeply sorry.”

In the meantime, a few scheduled talk-show interviews he had scheduled to promote his new series have been canceled, most notably with Jimmy Fallon.

Jimmy ‘ruffled trump’s hair’ Fallon?

This Jimmy Fallon? To hell with the lot of ‘em.

Awww, c’mon, Trumpy’s just a non-threatening racist authoritarian. He’s like the Bryan Adams of wannabe dictators, nothing to worry about or normalize here!

I found what Norm Macdonald wrote to actually be quite thoughtful and compelling, but also found the response to it to be utterly predictable.

I think he raises very important questions. I think, however, he is unfortunately raising them with respect to two people who did not just have single incidents or issues, but appear to have an ongoing pattern of being pretty terrible.

It is much easier to get behind the notion that someone should not be destroyed for a mistake when the mistake is not repeated over and over. (I understand we do not have multiple incidents of Rosanne’s racism, but we do have so many other incidents of her just being fucking kooky, and supposedly horrible to work with.)

Another one bites the dust

Thoughtful huh. Comparing the loss of jobs to the victims pain? That’ ridiculous. I am not sure why Roseanne is being lumped with in CK, but losing your career is not even close to being on level with being a victim of sexual violence.

And let’s be clear here, absolutely clear. Even though Roseanne and CK are not on the same level to what they did… they did it. They are the actions. It didn’t happen to them. They made it happen.

And Roseanne has a history of racism.

Norm Macdonald has morphed into something like a Canadian version of a troll. All of his podcasts are his deadpan, across the line of decency, sort of humor. This kind of stuff is hardly the worst things i’ve heard him say but when he was reduced to basically talking to himself in a studio nobody seemed to care.

IE, he’s not raising issues. He’s doing the up-to-date form of Gilbert Gottfried.

The criticism of Norm seems to me to be right on point. Norm is basically expressing his sympathy for those two people because he knows them. And, because he knows them, of course he exaggerates their suffering. Unless someone has stripped Louis and Roseanne of all their assets while I wasn’t looking, they did not ‘lose everything in a day’. In relative terms, they lost nothing at all. And, since he doesn’t know the victims, he minimizes their suffering, which can’t be as dire as that of his friends. As statements go, it’s damned obtuse, and criticism was easy to predict.

His statements were the opposite of thoughtful.

Yeah, and they both happen to be personal friends of his. I think this is how we all react around friends, we always just take their side, even, when in retrospect (he is walked back a bit of his commentary) it isn’t the right thing to have done. I think the Roseanne thing cut him really raw, because I know he worked with her on the reboot, and by all accounts, in person she doesn’t act that way (though Norm is white, so who knows) So it would be shocking, after what appeared to be just one tweet, a personal friend of his would lose her show. He lack context, and probably shouldn’t have said anything other than. “The Roseanne I know isn’t racist” or some lame stuff like that.

To quote Norm on what he said in the interview

“I’m a fcking dumb guy,” said the host of Netflix’s upcoming Norm Macdonald Has a Show . “I get confused a lot and sht.”

I like Norm, but he’s kind of a fucking idiot.

Just completely ignored what he said, and responded to a straw man.

And I can already imagine your response to this, but have you ever considered not making absolute statements like that? Really? Any and every form of sexual “violence” (whatever exactly that means to you) is worthy of the punishment of losing a career or ability to work, forever?

Again, how about robberies? Other forms of assault? Should we just strip the ability to make a living in perpetuity from anyone who engages in “violence?” What about anything offensive? What if someone engages in harassment who doesn’t have millions and so will not be perfectly fine if unable to work? Are we now matching punishment to ththe wealth and “ability to be fine” of the perpetrator? What if Louis CK had never made it, but was just some schmuck comic grinding out $40k a year on the standup circuit?

Why do you keep responding to the arguments and issues in your head, instead of what is actually being presented? What’s the point of even responding, if you’re just engaging with imaginary people?

It’s literally what he said Sly, in his interview.

In the THR interview, Macdonald said he was glad that #MeToo seemed to have “slowed down a little bit,” and said of C.K. and Barr, “There are very few people that have gone through what they have, losing everything in a day. Of course, people will go, ‘What about the victims?’ But you know what? The victims didn’t have to go through that.”

He downplayed the victims experiences and that’s what he is currently apologizing for the most. He said that.

“Out of sensitivity to our audience and in light of Norm Macdonald’s comments in the press today, ‘The Tonight Show’ has decided to cancel his appearance on Tuesday’s telecast”

“Then Jimmy came back in, said can I talk to you buddy?”, Macdonald said. “He was very broken up about it, he said ‘I don’t know what to do…it’s just that I have so much pressure, people are crying. Senior producers are crying.”

I find it ridiculous that having a dissenting opinion on this subject can result in career damage. The level of vitriol on this subject is extreme.

Aw man, I love Gilbert Gottfried.