The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

This sounds like a “you” problem, rather than a problem with the advert per se.

The ad seems to specifically call out sexual harassment, bullying, and assault. That shouldn’t be normal for masculinity nor make a connection that all of it is bad. The reaction from the nutjobs on the right is predictable though for sure. When Budweiser makes a commercial about how you shouldn’t rape a drunk woman, they’'ll start boycotting them as well.

Probably the only thing that could make Kavanaugh not like beer.

These things are always slow. Look how long it has taken to move football from a culture where brain damaging head hits were just “getting your bell rung.” Where we lauded the gritty coaches who made players suffer in 100 degree heat without water doing nutcracker drills over and over because it built men who weren’t pussies.

There’s always going to be that guy out there who thinks that if you’re not absorbing pain or inflicting it on someone else, you’re not a “real man.”

The Atlantic is giving Bryan Singer some free press this morning.

On December 7, 2017, three days after The Hollywood Reporter broke the news of Singer’s firing, a Seattle man named Cesar Sanchez-Guzman filed a lawsuit against the director, alleging that Singer had raped him in 2003, when Sanchez-Guzman was 17. The day after that, Deadline Hollywood published an interview with a former boyfriend of Singer’s, Bret Tyler Skopek, in which Skopek described a lifestyle of drugs and orgies

Sanchez-Guzman’s claims shouldn’t have been much of a surprise. Almost from the moment his star began to rise, Singer, who is now 53, has been trailed by allegations of sexual misconduct. These allegations were so well known that 4,000 students, faculty members, and alumni at the University of Southern California had signed a petition asking the school to take Singer’s name off one of its programs, the Bryan Singer Division of Cinema and Media Studies—which the school did immediately after Sanchez-Guzman filed his suit. As one prominent actor told us, “After the Harvey Weinstein news came out, everyone thought Bryan Singer would be next.”

When asked for comment, Singer’s lawyer, Andrew B. Brettler, noted that Singer has never been arrested for or charged with any crime, and that Singer categorically denies ever having sex with, or a preference for, underage men.

Oh shit, watch out Mozart!

I wonder, is the fact that Don Giovanni is confronted by the ghost of the man he slew, and then dragged down to eternal torment, a “subtle clue” that we’re not meant to be on his side?

Also, the dude in that lithograph looks nothing like Mozart, which may be the lithographer’s fault.

I had a real shit day today, but I am still giggling at this. Thank you.

A big #MeToo scalp. The former chief minister of Scotland Alex Salmond is charged with 13 offences.

The response from the ScotNat rank and file is a good demonstration of rape culture.

I’m amazed that I haven’t heard anything about Singer being the director of Bohemian Rhapsody until I saw this article. And I’ve watched most of the major awards so far, and haven’t heard his name brought up once.

After reading the article, I’m amazed that he’s still getting hired to direct films (the latest being the upcoming Red Sonja).

“Basically, #MeToo has become a risk-management issue for men”

It makes me wonder what they think ‘mentoring’ means.

It’s super hard not to sexually assault anyone you’re one on one with. It’s just a fact.

RE: The article - It’s about the risk of any kind of accusation. “They” are saying it’s safer just to avoid any kind of one on one interaction. It’s risk management.

Yes, but ‘they’ are full of shit. If ‘they’ think they’re taking a bigger risk by being in the room than a woman is by being in the room, they’re out of their minds. And if they’re declining to be in the room while actually understanding the relative risks, then they’re abusing their power.

As a general rule, when these people opine about the world, they don’t know what the fuck they’re talking about, because they don’t live in the world.

I don’t want to risk being accused of racism, says white guy, so I think it’s probably best if I don’t mentor any people of color.

This wouldn’t be an issue, says the guy, if things were like they used to be.

I read this as fear that a minority of women would abuse the situation to accuse, and being accused nowadays means you are guilty, in effect, whether or not you did anything.

And if you are high up then you stand to lose more.

So, instead of engaging honestly with the situation, just avoid anything that could be misconstrued.

I don’t think it had equivalents with racism.

My own experience of this was advice given (in the school manual, i.e. officially) when I started working with kids which was to protect yourself by NEVER being alone with a child.

Precisely to avoid even the risk of being accused of something.

So, execs should choose to mentor multiple women in order to avoid accusations of impropriety? Works for me.

Imagine how abusive a policy that would be if the policy were that you should never be alone with a female child while being alone with a male one was actively encouraged because of the better quality of the tutoring.

That’s the issue here: These men won’t give up mentoring men, being one-on-one with other men. But they will give up mentoring women. It’s abusive.

This seems related

UAE’s gender equality awards […]

oh god this can’t be going anywhere good

[keeps reading]

[nope]