The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

I do wonder if Republicans are so cowardly they are secretly hoping that Democrats impeach Trump after 18 and they can circle the wagons and act indignant while a necessary thing they actually agree with happens, so that they get their cake and eat it too.

An impeached Trump would be upside for Republicans if they could shield themselves from the MAGA backlash. They’d be left with President Pence, who is more right wing than Trump and probably much more likely to get shit done.

Of course, to make that happen, a dozen or so Republican senators would have to turn all ‘et tu, Brute’ on the dear leader and face the wrath of the Breitbarters.

What’s becoming apparent to everyone with eyes that the Republican party is merely the means to an end. If your ends are reducing taxes and/or getting rid of regulations, they’ll close their eyes and change the subject.

Yeah, I read that article earlier today and considered linking but decided against it, mainly because it’s hust more “woe is me, nothing matters” crap I’m way past tired of hearing but also because she proposes nothing, just “Hey, the Republicans are up to some bad shit in case you didn’t notice”, which thanks, I guess. But she’s written a lot of great stuff, some really thoughtful analysis of Supreme Court goings on that have clarified a lot that I didn’t understand. Maybe this is a cry for help, maybe she’s finally been worn down.

I think we’re at Catiline moments, or very near them. Cicero thought to preserve the system he had to break the rules of the system. He was wrong.

Chuck Schumer just called on Franken to resign.

That’s it.

I worry about a terrible world where the incentives are that the people who apologize and take blame are the ones who resign, and the people who lie and attack their accusers with more lies are the ones who stay in office.

But I don’t know what the other options are. It just sucks that the people who respond the most appropriately are the same ones who get the most consequences. Ah well.

Let’s say he is elected, when does he actually join the senate. Is he seated the next day? I could see them seating him, him voting pro GOP and then in January the House Ethics committee hearing his case. Of course they would do nothing.

I believe his latest accuser, number 8, was a staffer in Washington so he would have been in office at the time.

This isn’t a new thing at all.

Well, that’s tough for us, I guess.

Dems can’t be the party that say “we stand for women…unless it’s one of our own, in which case we turn a blind eye.” That’s obviously an untenable position, morally and philosophically.

Nope. It was in 2006, before his senate career. Might’ve been on one of his USO tours in the Mid-East.

I will truly miss Franken in the senate. But I certainly understand why he has to go.

Just enough time to rehab/apology tour/Franken 2020.

I don’t actually think that. But I don’t not think it either.

I’m so pissed at Franken. Asshole. Gtfo.

Betsy McCollum would make a great senator, though.

You sound like me the morning I woke up in 1998 and the Lewinsky allegations were breaking on the morning news. So pissed at Bill. Still kind of am. Had the mind and political chops to be great.

I was mostly chasing skirt and listening to Nine Inch Nails in '98 to the point of almost failing to graduate high school, so Clinton didn’t really register for me, heh.

I grew up in the '80s getting crushed by Reaganomics. Clinton felt like a beacon in the dark to me in 1992. I went to the first debate against Bush at Washington University in St. Louis and I just thought he was the most amazing political mind I’d ever heard.

And even as he struggled badly at times, I still felt like he was setting up a legacy for a Democrat to work out a win in 2000…and then it was like “Goddamn it Bill. You had one job…”