The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

She doesn’t want it; she wants to max out her ranks in the House first.

I wonder how cogent Walter Mondale is nowadays. Remember when he was drafted to run for Senator 11 days before the election after Paul Wellstone died? And he only lost by two percentage points?

Otherwise, maybe a year of Senate experience would bolster Rebecca Otto in her run for the governor’s seat. Or my buddy Wade could ditch his suburban city council seat; he would do great in the Senate.

Politico speculating that Tina Smith, the Lt. Governor will be named to fill the seat until the special election.

RIP Wellstone. Still one of the greatest tragedies to befall us. He’d have made a great President.

I don’t think he’s got the juice, but I’d love to see Rybak back as Senator. He’s a smart guy. Probably found his calling in the think tanks though.

He’s only had one heart attack so far, he is still super popular in Lesser Minnesota, he’d do great. Maybe Franken can hold his spot in the think tanks and lecture circuits in the meantime.

I hadn’t bothered to read the latest Franken accusation, and just did:

D.C. was decked out and packed in for the inauguration of a young and popular new president. The town was buzzing with optimism, and one of the many events on our list was a swanky Media Matters party with Democratic notables everywhere. Then I saw Al Franken. I only bug celebrities for pictures when it’ll make my foster mom happy. She loves Franken, so I asked to get a picture with him. We posed for the shot. He immediately put his hand on my waist, grabbing a handful of flesh. I froze. Then he squeezed. At least twice.

I’d been married for two years at the time; I don’t let my husband touch me like that in public because I believe it diminishes me as a professional woman. Al Franken’s familiarity was inappropriate and unwanted. It was also quick; he knew exactly what he was doing.

I guess maybe he squeezed extra hard, but isn’t it normal to actually make contact and grab when you take a picture? (Hence the hoverhand meme when people don’t…)

Yeah it’s going to be hoverhands from here on out.

I think that’s his future, after a year or so out of the limelight. This isn’t “just” a sex scandal, but also a matter of consent which crosses an irredeemable line for many. If he doesn’t get some kind of declaration of innocence made on his behalf to shed that, I think he’s permanently done with elected office.

But not her friends, they’re totally never rapists. Also forget about that time she diddled her like 3 year-old sister or whatever.

I’ll never understand how anyone anywhere ever listens to anything Dunham says. I’d say no one does, but she’s making a living somehow and hasn’t dropped off the face of the planet.

Watching (and enjoying!) Girls was the hardest I ever had to work at separating an artist from their art. The show was so good sometimes, and it seemed obvious to me that Lena poured so much of herself into her characters. But it’s almost impossible to reconcile the self awareness she showed in how she explored their flaws with the decisions she makes in her own real life.

If Lena Dunham told me the sun was going to rise in the east tomorrow morning, I’d invest in ascension robes and await the apocalypse.

I’ve been so not plugged into pop culture this year. I hate to even ask, but what’s her crazy? All I know is that the alt-right weirdos have always hated her for what I assume are spurious reasons. Turns out she’s one of the times of day that particular broken clock is correct?

Yeah, they know how this is all going to play out.

She sexually molested her younger sister when she was like 10 or something. She said she wished she had an abortion. She ‘saved’ a rescue dog and then threw it away. She’s done some racist shit and is basically what a lot of people consider a ‘white feminist’. She’s made really stupid ads for Clinton. She defended her friend when they were accused of rape because they were her friend. Those are just off the top of my head.

She’s basically a caricature of a stupid hypocritical liberal come to life.

what the fuck

Grab? You don’t grab. Why would you ever grab and squeeze? You put your arm around the shoulders of a buddy for a photo, do you start squeezing his shoulder with your hand? I doubt it.

I do have empathy for the women. I can’t pretend to know what it’s like to be in their skin, but I did have one incident over 40 years ago that has stuck with me. I was in 8th or 9th grade and we all had to talk to our counselor about test results, etc., one by one. I got called down and the guy shut the door to his office and started talking to me, and at one point he placed his hand on my knee and left it there.

At the time I had no idea that pedophiles existed. I barely even knew gay people existed. I hardly even knew what sex was. All I knew is that it made me uncomfortable but that he was an authority person, a person in a position of power like Franken and others, so I did nothing.

The guy was obviously trying to read me and when he saw me frozen, he took his hand away after a few seconds. And that was the end of it. No real harm done to me, but I’ve never forgotten it. I think it’s likely he was a pedophile and a predator, but I don’t really know. It was wholly inappropriate for him to touch me like that, though.

So I can see how Franken’s unwanted and inappropriate touching and forced kissing was harmful to these women. Sort of. Not being a woman I don’t think I can fully get it, but when someone does something like that to you, you carry it with you and it’s there in your head forever. You feel like a victim. That’s not right.

There are a few liberal that I have real soft spot for, Paul Wellstone is high on my list.

I too have been out of touch, and had to look it up. Here’s a list (which includes the stuff @ShivaX mentioned) :

A little update for this, via a Deadline interview with Travolta, who claims this was initiated on his end, following disagreements with Lionsgate over their release plans:

He is underwhelmed with the tiny release that Lionsgate planned for the film through its multi-platform arm Lionsgate Premiere, which is devoted primarily to genre fare that finds its audience through ancillary lanes. Looking to protect what he believes is a worthy theatrical film, and his own performance, Travolta sought out a financier to change that fate. He found one in Edward Walson. The producer of five Broadway plays and eight films that include the Woody Allen-directed Café Society and upcoming Wonder Wheel, Walson and cohorts found the money to buy Lionsgate out of the equation. A new deal is close with another theatrical distributor that will make Gotti a wide release, they said.

Edward Walson, the producer behind Woody Allen’s recent films, helped buy out the film, and says they’re close to securing a new theatrical distributor. He has big plans for the feature, telling Deadline "We are hoping to take this movie to Cannes; it’s a movie-star film that deserves the glitter of Cannes and then a wide release shortly thereafter.”

You’re telling me that Edward Watson has hella Thetans, then?