The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

Ah, my mistake then.

So apparently this was written about in some book I was told, Heat 2006/2007. And no one reacted, so the leaders basically let it drop. So this is why I give so much credit to Kaepernick. When the public doesn’t care, when the public doesn’t want o care, and when the truth is inconvenient, you still push. You make them care. These are two leaders in their industries talking about how they knew, but instead of leading the change they want for change to come. Look, I know it’s a lot of pressure, it puts their careers, their names, and their fans on the line but for Bourdain and Colicchio to know and not push, and push, and push some more… it’s disappointing.

When I was a young restaurant manager, I heard rumors that another manager (who was married) was sleeping with a server on the staff. For starters, that was explicitly forbidden by company policy (no dating/no romantic relationships between managers and hourlies, period; grounds for immediate dismissal). For another, I had heard that she thought things with this manager would be a consensual one-night-stand, but he had other ideas and kept kind of putting her into situations involving sexual relations, and she was afraid that if she broke things off, things would be made very difficult for her, since this guy was the one who wrote her schedule, etc.

Now, nothing ever became of it, as far as I know. The manager eventually got his dumb ass fired for something else, and when the server left, it felt like it was on good terms – she got a job in her college major, and as I was her supervisor by then I was happy for her for the opportunity.

BUT-- if that girl had filed a harassment claim or report, how would I have reacted? On one level I would be “No one is suprised,” because in a weird way I’d have “known” about this, just because I heard a rumor. But the thing is, if you react to EVERY rumor you hear in a restaurant (which is basically adults acting like tall children), you’ll get yourself into a wold of shit very quickly.

In the end, you try to do the right thing. You tell a person that if they ever want to talk about something, you’re willing to listen or set up a meeting with a female manager if that’s better. You give a person the phone number of the lawyer with the company who is in charge of risk management and is a woman, and tell her that this particular lawyer loves to go after managers who act inappropriately. But at some point either you catch them in the act and have first-hand knowledge to act on…or you need the victim to step up, even a little. Which I know is damned difficult to do.

I understand what you’re saying but Bourdain and Colicchio are not servers, this is their peer, they’re public faces of an industry and so is Batali. They’re not saying if, maybe, they’re saying today… this was real and they knew it, without a doubt, no surprise.

Apparently this went around a couple of years ago. My Facebook circles found it recently.

Bourdain has very publicly behaved badly, so I’m not sure that he would be the best standard bearer for changes in the restaurant culture war. Colicchio seems like more of a straight arrow, but who knows. Don’t throw stones in glass houses, as they say.

He’s recently spoken out against the “bro” behavior and culture in industry. I think he also said he hasn’t really been part of the industry in 20 years. I am not aware of any accusations against him, but since he spoke out ahead of Batali, and he claims he kicked people for some of the worst stuff.

The point is the same. If he is uncomfortable with it and Colicchio has spoken against it a few times, not just sexism but the aggressive and rude behaviors in the industry… what were they waiting for? Why do women have to take all the risk in order to instigate change. Like I said, it’s a risk, and we have a lot of women sharing intimate details of their lives in order to instigate change… and we have a guy who threw his career away that people still question his courage about doing that.

Variety did an interview with the two NYT journalists who originally broke the Weinstein story, FYI.

Thernovitsh is gonna go to jaaaaiiillll.

I sure as shit hope so.

And revoke his access to internet for a good long while afterwards.

Has Cernovich been tied to it, because that would be hilarious.

Him and famed floor-shitter Charles Johnson aka Master of Subterfuge.

Now I still believe one is still one too many, but has anyone part of the MeToo campaign ever really been just one accusation? It seems like the news makers are handfuls if not moore.

I see what you did there.

Doesn’t this guy’s account just give more ammo to a libel lawsuit or something? “I sent an unverified source to journalists, lawyers, and Congress to try and discredit a senator” doesn’t seem like the ironclad defense he thinks it might be.

Salma Hayek discusses her horrible Harvey Weinstein experience in a NYT op-ed.

The range of his persuasion tactics went from sweet-talking me to that one time when, in an attack of fury, he said the terrifying words, “I will kill you, don’t think I can’t.”

He offered me one option to continue. He would let me finish the film if I agreed to do a sex scene with another woman. And he demanded full-frontal nudity.

He had been constantly asking for more skin, for more sex. Once before, Julie Taymor got him to settle for a tango ending in a kiss instead of the lovemaking scene he wanted us to shoot between the character Tina Modotti, played by Ashley Judd, and Frida.

But this time, it was clear to me he would never let me finish this movie without him having his fantasy one way or another. There was no room for negotiation.

I hope they find a way to bring charges against this prick. He deserves to be in jail a thousand times over.

Oh man Johnson and Thernothitch in prison would make me sooooooo happy