The Fate of the Furious - Fast and Furious 8

My favorite part of the article is picturing Vin Diesel as an acting critic.

“Harrison Ford would’ve given that line more weight.”

lol, Jeffrey Wells:

There is no Fate of the Furious. It doesn’t exist in my head or this realm, and anyone who pays to see it this weekend is a stupid animal, and the 65% of Rotten Tomato critics who gave it a left-handed, “what the hell” pass can never be forgiven.

This was magnificent.

And by magnificent I mean it was a ludicrous fever dream of stupidity, whose plot had a more tenuous grasp on reality than the ones I came up with playing with GI Joes as a five year old. But oh man did I have a lot of fun.

I loved all of that. All of it.

Furious 7 was better. I’m not knowledgeable enough to rank this among the rest of the franchise, but 7 was more fun. This is still enjoyably goofy/dumb action, but now that a comment in one of those articles @Telefrog shared planted the idea of a Statham/Johnson spin-off—no matter how unlikely that may be—I can’t stop thinking how much better that would’ve been than what we got.

Oh, it’s a big mess, and not a well-made film in most ways, but I laughed my ass off and clapped in giddy joy throughout.

Fast & Furious 6 is still my favorite of the series, but this might be the most fun I’ve had in the theater watching one.

I’m holding out hope that Han is revealed to have a twin brother in #9. Next to The Rock, Sung Kang was the best thing to happen to the franchise.

Or I suppose time travel is a legitimate possibility, given the trend it’s on.

Some analysts were predicting that FF8 would garner less box office than 7 because 7 was the goodbye to Paul Walker, whereas 8 is just a return to form. They were half right. It did a lot less domestically, but the foreign market was a blowout.

Well that was shitton of fun. Just taking the term over-the-top…over the top. Loved it, almost tempted to go see it again. The NY scene was just…gah. Gimme.

I loved how self-aware it was. When Statham and Rock broke into laughter, I laughed my ass off right there with them.

I need to see it again just to try and fully intake some of the Rock’s amazing dialogue. Some of his lines were amazing. All I remember is “something something something Sumbitch.”

I mean that first scene with Rock doing his pre-match battle dance with his girl soccer team. At first I was like hmm…not sure about this…kinda lame and corny…but it went so long and extreme by the end I was like, OK! I am down!

Hey, you saw how much that freaked out the other team. I’d call that a success.

How long that dance goes on says all you need to know about Furious 8. It knows how to commit to its silliness, how to own it.

-Tom

Yep, exactly. The fact that this film was so self-aware made it extra enjoyable. That John Woo-like scene at the end in the airplane…

Looks like the Vin versus The Rock drama has become enough of a thing for this to happen:

OMG IT’S A DREAM COME TRUe.

This movie was like what a 10-year-old’s fevered dream about cars and trucks and submarines and secret agents and hacking and airplanes and gunfights would look like. It was completely ridiculous with zero basis in reality, including defying the laws of physics in a dozen different ways, and was basically total cheese with cheese on top and a side of cheesy cheese.

Which means it was exactly what I expected and I left the theater happy.

Being a soccer dad to my daughter’s teams for years, the Dwayne Johnson soccer scene had me cracking up.

Are there more moms than kids at your games too? ;)

Of course! It’s a big soccer town. LOL. (I wish…)

Michelle Rodriguez is making some noise about her role in the next movie.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/27/michelle-rodriguez-threatens-leave-fast-furious/

[quote]
“F8 is out digitally today, I hope they decide to show some love to the women of the franchise on the next one,” she wrote, along with pictures of her with Diesel and costar Nathalie Emmanuel. “Or I just might have to say goodbye to a loved franchise. It’s been a good ride & Im grateful for the opportunity the fans & studio have provided over the years… One Love.”[/quote]