The Fate of the Furious - Fast and Furious 8

Well, she’s not wrong.

She’s absolutely not wrong, but I don’t know how sincere she is about this. It’s not like Michelle Rodriguez has ever seemed to give a crap about strong female character interactions in her previous movies. This could be a bluff for more money, or just a bigger role.

It would be interesting to see Vin Diesel and the writers give her character a meatier script but not increase her pay. After all, she said it’s not about the money, right?

[quote]
"I can always oblige myself and depart because money, to me, isn’t as important as my lines that you’re not allowed to cross.”[/quote]

I thought it was Girlfight that first made her famous? At least, that’s when she was brought to my attention. I thought her character was really strong in that one, and it was an excellent movie.

Girlfight was great, and she was terrific in it. Just about everything after that though?

Michelle Rodriguez has kind of made her career on playing essentially the same character whether that’s Letty in the F&F movies, Rain in Resident Evil, or Ana Lucia in LOST.

I didn’t see it, but I’d guess playing a male assassin was a different kind of role for her.

I saw it. It was a bad movie for a lot of reasons. Fun fact: It was directed by Walter Hill!

Her character really wasn’t any different from the others mentioned. In fact, many would argue that Michelle Rodriguez playing a hot chick killer dude is par for the course.

Ha ha, you saw The Assignment. How about that beard?

Really, I don’t think it’s possible to make a non-ridiculous movie from that premise. But it did give her the opportunity for some, uh, strong interactions with a female character.

-Tom

Would anyone notice if she wasn’t in the next movie? Or really any one character?

I’d notice if the Rock or Jason Statham weren’t there, you monster.

Dom would notice.

I saw this yesterday. I had fun. But not as much as F&F 3 through 7. I blame Charlize Theron’s character. She was just… what is the opposite of Charisma? I hated seeing her on the screen every time. Everyone else in the movie was written in a way to be in on the fun.

They needed to make a whole movie about the baby rescue.

I continue be amazed by how aggressively stupid these movies are. In a mostly good way, but still. The whole submarine sequence made zero logical/physical sense. How does it even get out of the drydock into the water, and once there, how does it keep up with cars going at full pelt?

I haven’t seen the movie in a while but isn’t Dom in the sub at first? Because that’s probably why it went fast and probably can fly and drink corona.

No, he was at the edge of the lake next to Theron’s right hand man. He did drive to the sub later, mid chase.

Well, then. That explains it. Even the eventuality of Dom boarding a vehicle is enough to super-charge it.

Dom’s power transcends linear perceptions of time.

Having seen movies 1 through 3, how much am I missing out with the rest of the franchise?

Oh keep going, they turn into amazing heist movies, the 5th being the best.

You’re missing the good ones.