The Favourite - Emma Stone vs Rachel Weisz

Saw this one last night and gotta recommend it thoroughly! Rich and dark and weirdly funny. Kinda like Dangerous Liaisons on absinthe. And I think they can start engraving that Best Supporting Actress statue now for Olivia Colman as Queen Anne.

If there were any doubt this was a Yorgos Lanthimos film, that last shot destroys it. Still not sure what to make of it. I think this is currently my #2 film of the year, behind First Man.

Excited to hear this, DL being one of my favorites from my younger days. The trailer definitely made me think of it.

And then it being a Lanthimos films makes this a must-see.

So, the trailer makes me interested, but I kind of hated The Lobster. Should I skip it? I love black comedy, but I feel like Lanthimos doesn’t understand black comedy, which requires us to care about the characters. Do the characters in The Favourite get to display any emotional affect? Do bizarre things happen for no reason?

It’s more “normal” than The Lobster? I think? Though, for what it’s worth, I definitely preferred The Lobster, which is easily one of my favorite films of the past ten years. The trailer is pretty honest as far as tone goes.

Rachel Weisz always wins. Always.

Very odd movie. Didn’t see The Lobster so this may be normal compared to that, but I felt the story just meandered.

Certainly good performances and good set design and costuming, but it didn’t seem to earn its length. When the movie was over it was very forgettable. A bit of a disappointment, really.

I put this in the “other films” thread a week or so ago:

I loved it. I think it might be the best movie of 2018.

It is a story that is exceedingly prescient in 2018 (and now 2019) about power and those that wish to be with and near it, and the costs associated with that.

The performances of Rachel Weisz, Emma Stone, and Olivia Coleman (particularly) stand out. The superb directing from Lanthimos helps to build the tension and highlight the debauchery and pettiness of the ruling court.

Vanity Fair has a pretty good write up of how the story of the film parallels the real life power struggle

I would also mention that the ending was quite excellent. I don’t have the exact quote, but at the point where it appears Abigail has won, and Sarah was on the ropes she says something to the effect of

“I am afraid we are playing 2 entirely different games here” (I am butchering this)

Coupled with the final scene we understand exactly what she was getting at. Sarah Churchill (yes, she was his ancestor) did plenty fine after being banished from Queen Anne’s court.

This is a story about the problems structures of power, leading to a radically unqualified person in charge of a country leaving most of the work to her more capable allies on the court. Queen Anne, through her failing health and personal interests are barely able to perform the most basic duties of the leader of England. We enter this film with someone with everything to gain and nothing to lose to use their access and sycophantic schemes to push out the one person who is actually doing the hard work of ruling the country.

I also loved the scene where Sarah confronts Queen Anne through a wall, after she has been told to leave the courts, where she expresses to the Queen that she may be mean, but she tells the truth to the Queen, and that hurts sometimes, but it is what makes us better and strong. And that is what true love is about, being honest. Abigail is just able to praise and fawn over everything the Queen does, and while that feels good it is empty and unfulfilling.

And we all know who those kind of people end up surrounding themselves with.

Anyway, loved it. Go see it.

Nice write-up.

It took a second viewing for this part to really hit me. Now the movie’s really butting heads with two other movies for the top of my list.

I will say that I loved the movie enough that I never really cared if it had contemporary parallels or not. Anyway, it’s mean to do that to Olivia Colman. Although that cake scene is basically like eating a Big Mac.

I was surprised Dingus spoiled the dancing scene for people on the podcast. That scene was like 25% of the reason I went a second time.

Is it Olivia Colman dancing? If so, sold!

However, cutting away after three seconds (at 1:30) should be a criminal offense. That’d be like only showing three seconds of the dance from Ex Machina.

Unfortunately no. She is present though!

I was unreasonably excited when Abigail first went into the kitchens. I know that place! It’s the tourist attraction near where I grew up. Well, that and a crappy theme park.

This is the first good period film of that time (±15 years) since the Draughtsmans Contract. Actually, it reminded me a lot of Greenaways movie, which was also dialogue heavy and witty, the lightning, costumes and the overall tone. And for some other reason, it reminded me a bit of In The Loop. I will put the DVD of The Favourite next to In The Loop onto the shelf.