The Final Countdown - 48 hours!

Get out in 48 hours or it’s war: Bush tells Saddam

March 18 2003

US President George W Bush today gave Saddam Hussein and his sons 48 hours to leave Iraq or face war. He told the Iraqi people: “The tyrant will soon be gone. The day of your liberation is near.”

“Saddam Hussein and his sons must leave Iraq in 48 hours. Their refusal to do so will result in military conflict to commence at a time of our choosing,” he said.

A military campaign would be directed against the lawless men who rule Iraq and not against its citizens, he said.

He said: "The tyrant will soon be gone. The day of your liberation is near.

“It is too late for Saddam Hussein to remain in power. It is not too late for the Iraqi military.”

He said their fate would depend on their actions. He implored them not to destroy oil wells or use weapons of mass destruction.

“It will be no defence to say I was just following orders.”

He warned that war could lead to retaliatory strikes by terrorists on US interests and home and abroad, and said he had ordered increased security at airports and along US waterways.

"These attacks are not inevitable. They are, however, possible,‘’ Bush said. "We will not be intimidated by thugs and killers.‘’

Iraq had pledged to destroy all its weapons of mass destruction after the last Gulf War, he said. But in 12 years more than a dozen UN resolutions had been passed and ignored by Saddam.

Saddam had used diplomacy as a ploy to gain time and an advantage.

Over the years UN weapons inspectors had been threatened, bugged and deceived.

Peaceful ways of disarming Iraq had failed because “we are not dealing with peaceful men”.

The regime continued to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons devised.

The regime had a history of reckless aggression in the Middle East and of a hatred of America.

The danger was clear. With Iraq’s help, the terrorists could fulfill their stated ambitions.

“Instead of drifting along toward tragedy we will set a course for safety,” said President Bush.

The US had a sovereign authority to use force for its own security.

Congress voted overwhelmingly last year to use force if necessary to disarm Iraq.

The allies were authorised under existing UN resolutions to use force if necessary.

Resolution 1441 vowed immediate and serious conequences if Iraq did not disarm immediately.

Some permanenet members of the Security Council had stated they would veto any resolution now.

“The UN Security Council has not lived up to its responsibilities, so we will rise to ours,” he said.

I can’t believe he said “nuke-u-lar” in a war declaration.

Let’s clone FDR and bring him back from the grave.

ooooh SNAP!!

Believe it, baby. Can’t have nuke-u-lar weapons getting into the hands of ter’rists.

Christ I hate this guy. Yay war. Boo Bush.

Yeah, people with accents are always ignorant hicks! DIE DIE DIE DIE!!!

You have no idea about the amount of joy you’ve given me. Listening to Europe while reading this declaration of war has made my day.

F-CK YEAH! Thanks for that, Wumpus, you made my friggin’ day!

Er, am I reading this wrong, or are you actually trying to imply that “nukular” is just how they pronounce it in Texas?

FWIW, Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary considers “nukular” one of three acceptable alternate pronounciations of the word. I find it pretty grating myself, but a whole lot more people than President Bush pronounce it that way.

–milo
http://www.starshatter.com

It always makes me laugh when Jesse Jackson says “POH-lees” or “MAC-donalds”. He’s so stupid!

The difference is that I can see how someone can read the words ‘police’ and ‘McDonalds’ to come up with those pronunciations. But there’s something profoundly ignorant about jimmying a whole new syllable into ‘nuclear’. Especially when you’re addressing the 300 million people whose country you’re running.

I don’t know what’s more disturbing: that George Bush actually doesn’t know how to pronounce the word or that it’s part of an ‘aw, shucks’ folksy routine he’s adopted.

But, you know, I support the soldiers and all that.

-Tom

The difference is that I can see how someone can read the words ‘police’ and ‘McDonalds’ to come up with those pronunciations. But there’s something profoundly ignorant about jimmying a whole new syllable into ‘nuclear’.

If you’re a stickler for words being pronounced phonetically according to an unchanging set of rules, you gotta be in just a constant state of rage having to speak English when you’re not speaking your precious French. As a wargamer, “Colonel” must drive you fucking nuts. Carter says “nucular” too. Granted, that’s not a ringing endorsement, but at least there’s a presidential precedent.

Colonel, gauge, corps…

Don’t even get me started on why caught = cot but draught = draft =/

“Though disapproved of by many, pronunciations ending in (kyoo-lur) have been found in widespread use among educated speakers including scientists, lawyers, professors, congressmen, U.S. cabinet members, and at least one U.S. president and one vice president. While most common in the U.S., these pronunciations have also been heard from British and Canadian speakers”

This is from the 10th edition, before G.W. was president, by the way.

Well doesn’t that beat all. I was hoping the old nuc-u-lar drum could be beat forever and ever. Just have to find another nit to pick, huh?

It’s got nothing to do with being a stickler for rules. Although I don’t know what ‘rule’ there is that dictates dropping random vowels into words where they don’t appear.

I’m merely making the point that if you’re addressing the nation, you might want to speak well. But that’s just me.

And to be fair, I have to give Bush credit for properly pronouncing ‘ask’ rather than ‘acks’. That’s something.

-Tom

Although I don’t know what ‘rule’ there is that dictates dropping random vowels into words where they don’t appear.

Like I said, maybe he’s actually listening to his critics, and this is just his way of trying to be more like Jimmy Carter. On the adding syllables to words front, though, he’s still got a long way to go. For instance, he really needs to start replacing “year” with “yee-ah”

This belongs in the “Things that bother you even though they shouldn’t” thread. Erik: yes, I agree: it is a dumb and nitpicky thing to harp on. Except that it bugs the hell out of me, too. Maybe it shouldn’t, but it does.

Well, geeze, does Merriam-Webster list “axe” as a pronounciation for “ask” too?

Whether or not it’s accepted, fact is it makes him sound like a bumpkin.

Carter was a bumpkin, so that explains that one. It’s particularly weird that Carter would pronounce it that way, though, considering that he did graduate work in reactor technology and nuclear physics when he was a submariner.

At least your not trying to say Jimmy Carter is really the one responsible for the pending war.