The Finals - Battlefield and Overwatch have a baby

Dude. I played the o.g.

On dialup!

That game is so old the trailer is just a song.

BF 2 and Kubra Dam and Strike at Karkand all the way!

To stay on target - is that our Johan Andersson? I was sure he was still at Paradox!

That trailer almost made my eyes water, so over the top was it, and I stopped about 20 seconds in.

That trailer still hits hard. Imagine if BF2042 was that good?

This thread is great. Definitely shows who’s already on the porch with signs saying get off my lawn and those young at heart excited for the video games.

I absolutely love what they’re doing with The Finals because they’re leaning into it being a video game. People dissipating into piles of coins? Entire structures being leveled? All with a veneer of reality in everything else? Brilliant.

I love what it looks like and would love to be able to play it competently enough to enjoy it but…

The highlight of my BF experience was that brief 6 week period when there was a private Qt3 ranked BF2 server:

Of course, within 6 weeks, EA disallowed renting a private ranked server and things started to fall apart, but good times were had.

Don’t sell yourself short!

I’m 50 years old. I consistently top leaderboards in Call of Duty and have 60 wins in the regular Warzone and another 60 in Resurgence modes.

https://cod.tracker.gg/warzone/profile/psn/DaveLong/overview

Age is a number. I play with a controller, so I’m even at a disadvantage there against PC players who I routinely will get in my lobbies. If you dig the game, you can play it well enough to be competitive.

Is this game gonna be PC only, or is it coming to consoles?

It’s planned to release on PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X/S, but not PS4 or Xbox One.

For some reason that trailer reminded me of the Ryan Reynolds movie Free Guy that came out a few years ago.

Pretty positive preview impressions

The game is in open beta, and it has reached good numbers, 230K players:

It’s in open beta on Xbox too, I wonder if those numbers are included in that?

no, they are Steam numbers, I should have specified it. It’s just a crop of steamcharts.com I did.

I checked briefly the game yesterday. They have improved the performance (now I can see people with mid-range computers playing it!) and they have introduced two new modes, which are slightly more casual friendly than the ‘The Finals’ tourney mode, one is almost the same but with infinite lives, and the others is more combat-oriented just taking money killing people and collecting the money into a point.

However it’s still all 3-player teams game modes, and that means if one of your mates if pretty bad (or you are the one who is pretty bad!) or someone disconnects, you are suddenly in a 3vs2 situation and are in a notable disadvantage.

Yeah, this is by far my biggest complaint and I hope it’s addressed in the future. I’ve played with a weak third and no third, and there’s not really much difference. One game I was screaming at the screen (not in voice chat) ‘revive us! we’re right next to you and the other teams are occupied!’ but instead our weakest and only remaining player opened fire on a trio. If you’re down to two, it’s really tough.

Playing with at least one other player that’s on their game however is exhilarating as you move together deploying jump pads, healing each other, laying down cover, picking up teammates’ player pieces to revive them somewhere safe, and even destroying walls and floors to access places. The whole thing is very snappy and kinetic. I particularly love the mid-game ‘mutators’ that mix things up like orbital lasers, meteor showers, deathmatch and, my favourite, ‘dead bodies go boom’.

I never played Monday Night Combat but I see the destruction of the Battlefield games, the tank/heal beaming of Team Fortress 2, the light/medium/heavy bodies of Brink (which I always loved), the longer TTK of something like Halo, and while the core gameplay loop of kill stealing money and camping depositories no doubt existed before Titanfall 2, I always enjoyed the Bounty Hunt mode in that. Oh and grapple hooks and blinking. And goo that is flammable and explodes. I’m really excited about The Finals, especially when things like this happen:

In that last clip I like how I can’t get down to the deposit box and my teammate destroys the floor so I can fall down. Then my RPG topples the box down a couple more floors!

I’m disappointed that Embark have gone the way of AI for the voice overs. For what it’s worth, I think the commentators are fine with the odd thing that just sounds a bit flat.

I feel like this game would heavily benefit from being able to customize the control scheme.

Both my son and I have had games where it stuck us with no teammates to start the game so it was 3v3v1. That seems like something they might want to look to fix.

Everything about this game looks great except the really boring guns.

This looks like a ton of fun! The heavy loadout…omg…may have to get into this one lol.