The Flash (CW)

Realtime commentary: Multiple Man just showed up! Now I have to Google him and show the wife who he is.

… It’s not going to be much of a Rogue’s Gallery if the pattern of the first two episodes continues. Though I suppose you-know-who could always mess with the timeline …

Man, this is a superhero tv show. Absolutely loving the unrestrained glee with which it’s depicting superpowers, and the fun of having them.

Looks like ultra-high-quality CGI is getting cheaper and cheaper.

Also loving the character dynamics, there’s some meat on the fx bones here. Sweet relationship between Barry and his guardian and between Barry and the daughter, and some great sinister acting from wheelchair scientist guy.

It really does have a very Silver-Agey feel about it.

I had the same reaction. Superhero films and shows should avoid falling into the trap of killing their villains. Sure, it makes for a nice conclusion to that night’s story, but it deprives the series of one of comics’ biggest strengths, the recurring foe who develops a meaningful antagonism with the hero over many appearances. Flash doesn’t have a great rogue’s gallery to begin with, and they’ve already killed two of the most prominent off. Not smart.

The good news, by the CW standards, The Flash is a hit. In reality, it and Shield are being pummeled by the NCIS twins. But that doesn’t really matter to a CW show.

This is such a weird thread. Qt3 is the only place in real life or on the net where I hear anything positive about Gotham, and I’m also surprised to see people tuning in for the Flash who not only haven’t seen Arrow, but weren’t even aware of the character or the show.

Anyway, finally saw last week’s premiere of The Flash. Off to a great start as far as I can tell, long live the Flash-Arrow-verse shows, may you never be meddled with by Hollywood interests!

Gotham seems to be well-received, according to Rotten Tomatoes (90%): Gotham - Rotten Tomatoes

My understanding is that it is doing pretty well in ratings, too.

I guess I don’t read that much of the internet :)

AV Club has been pretty critical of it as a show that has no idea what it’s trying to be, and the few other comments I’ve read were along those lines. HitFix reviews seem a little more charitable, but raise the same concerns. So I assumed that was pretty much the critical consensus (which I know has nothing to do with ratings, of course).

edit: I’ve never really read Rotten Tomatoes for TV coverage, but at a glance, everything seems to be 85% and up, or total bombs. The distribution seems a bit off from what I’d expect in a lot of stuff, but it’s stuff I haven’t actually watched so I don’t know for sure.

Yeah, most other places I visit and people I talk to are panning Gotham hard, but I’m firmly in the “It kicks ass, though!” camp of Qt3. Also absolutely loving The Flash so far. Really wish I’d gotten wise to it about 3 years late so I could marathon it, though. . .

I really like what they’re doing with the relationship between Barry and Joe Allen, really gives the characters depth. Iris too, I suppose, although that one feels more like a ticking bomb just waiting to go off. Watching the ticks on the clock, which I’m guessing is probably at least a full season, isn’t all that amusing to me.

Too bad they killed Stagg off right away. Was hoping he’d stay around for a nice Metamorpho arc later on. Maybe Sapphire will take over Stagg Industries, that has potential to work in the Element Man.

Hm. If it was me, and I could make a bunch of clones of myself, I’d definitely make one of myself while the flash was looking out a window, charge the Flash while I made good my escape, and the Flash thinks it was the real me that went over that window.

I was talking about the dude that clone-guy was trying to kill, but I agree that it would be pretty easy to bring Ol’ Cloneboy back if they wanted to.

Aaah, Metamorpho, he was one of my favourite oddball DC characters as a kid.

DC had some great stuff in the 60s, real classics IMHO - Metamorpho, Metal Men, The Doom Patrol, The Spectre, etc.

(In this day and age when movies with big plot twists like Unbreakable are common, they really need to make a Doom Patrol movie.)

So to tonight they captured their first bad guy. It looks like next week the brainy blonde who wears way too nice dresses for a geek character will crossover to Flash. I want to see some villian crossovers too! I wonder how Arrow would take on Multiple Guy.

Captain Cold is the villian next week. They are burning through them!

I bet fiancé comes back as a villian.

Haven’t heard anything about Doom Patrol, but we are getting Suicide Squad.

Possible. I always knew he survived the reactor explosion and would be a major character. He might not be a villain, though. Maybe he’s Firestorm, the Nuclear Man.

Well whaddaya know, I’m right. His name + the particle accelerator + the fact that my brother loved that character when we were kids clued me in.

I thought Firestorm was black, and mind merged with some high school coach of his. Am I thinking of the right character?

Edit: Like most things comics, it turns out there are multiple iterations and versions of the character.

I thought that was a top notch episode. Somehow, someway they squeezed a bunch of different character moments in there and it all melded together nicely. They even gave the judge a decent, if short, scene to develop audience empathy, which lesser shows never bother to do with bit parts. Stuff I find amusing although I’m not sure if I’m supposed to: No one cares about the rule of law, lock’em up and forget about them, who needs a trial? It would mess up their secret organization after all. And the aloof way they give Flash directions on how to fight the bad guys, as if they are watching a “Let’s Play” video. I guess there are only so many ways you can say “Draw aggro and run around a lot” without getting a little bored of it.

Captain Cold is one of the earliest Flash villains I can remember. Looking forward to Wentworth Miller portraying him.