The Flash (CW)

I hate to um, actually people on comics trivia, but if you can’t do it in a nerd forum thread about a superhero show, where can you do it?

Plastic Man and Elongated Man are actually different characters. Yes, DC has two stretchy super heroes.

I didn’t realize he was Elongated Man, I assumed they were going with Plastic Man. Eh, I’m not a DC guy really, I grew up a Marvel kid, but I do like the DC shows.

Yeah, I’m a Marvel kid, but one thing I’ve really enjoyed with the DC shows is looking up all the references to the DC Universe they throw around and the origins of the villains, etc. in the comics. Dibny is Elongated Man. I’m guessing the costume is coming soon.

I am in the same boat as you. Luckily, I am caught up on Batman Brave and the Bold Cartoon, and it taught me that there are two different characters.

Ones a jerk and the other is a criminal that decided to turn a new leaf. I think… Comics are hard.

Man, there are too many CW shows. Somehow they’re less than the sum of their parts when I think about them all at once.

Individually, they all have their ups and downs, but they all entertain me enough that they overcome their faults. But somehow collectively, watching four of these shows each week, the problems stack up and the fun parts are more easily forgotten.

I can’t point to one of them and say “this is the weak link, this one should be cancelled”, because I really do like them all. But when a new season starts or we come back from the mid season break, it always feels like a chore to start keeping up with them all again.

In a fantasy world, they could stagger them and run two at a time year round or something, but I know that’s not how production schedules work and would totally screwup the crossovers.

I agree and I don’t. I mean, it’s just like comics! You probably never collected every DC title or every Marvel title they published, but you had a clue what was happening with other characters as things crossed over and if you jumped in for an issue or two, you could identify with a lot of the places or people because you’d seen them elsewhere.

This season I just stopped recording Legends because that was always the last one we watched for whatever reason. I’m the only one who watches Supergirl. The kids and I are all in on The Flash weekly and now Black Lightning too and we catch up on Arrow as time allows. I like that there’s variety.

I think they do need one show where they focus on a single character to the exclusion of all other metas, though. A Spider-Man of the DC Universe. Batman would be ideal (and Bruce Wayne was mentioned BY NAME on Arrow this season), but I doubt we’ll ever get that.

Dave,

Completely agree with your ratings

• Flash (though I’m glad the trial thing is done not really enjoying this segment)
  • Black Lightning
  • Supergirl
  • Arrow (when I can)
  • Legends (borderline on deleting)

Legends is the best it’s ever been this season! I can’t believe I’m saying that either, but it’s the one I most look forward to this year. What a world!

…and I want to watch it! I really like all the shows. One of them had to fall by the wayside right now and that was the one for me. :(

Once you get past the first season, Legends is a lot more fun to watch.

Legends just keeps getting better and better. It was the “most improved” show last year, one of the best of the CW shows, and then this year it’s only gotten better. At this point, as much as I hate to admit it, it’s better than Arrow and Supergirl, as good as The Flash.

It should be pointed out that all of these shows exist purely to give me something to do over the course of each week while I wait for the creme of the crop, Agents of SHIELD. :)

Yeah, I pretty much agree. My top three:

Agents of Shield
Legends
Supergirl

I like Legends. The “don’t watch” for me is Arrow. Got off to a bad start and I’ve just never been able to get into it. I’ve just watched the crossover episodes after the first few.

Also, for the love of God, can’t they just let Barry and Iris be a happily married pair of near-siblings (the one creepy aspect of this show) for a season or so, and let Barry focus on fighting super villains without having his life up-ended? I know conflict makes for entertainment, but there comes a point where your affinity for the characters wants up-ending their lives to be an event, not the norm.

My superhero dar must be broken. I watch both SHIELD and Legends. However shield dimmed for me after it cut ties with the movie franchise. It lost most of its luster. I did enjoy the Ghost Rider segment, though him driving a car instead of a motorcycle was a CONSTANT annoyance factor for me. However everything else was great. The cyber world season and the future Quake is destroyer of world seasons have not reasonated for me.

Legends, annoys me as its the closest thing to a superhero team tv show currently on, and yet consistently feels very unsuperheroey! Though more interesting…actually miles more interesting than Timeless and better than most other time traveling shows except Doctor Who… but as a superhero team TV show, while it has some occasional bright moments, it consistently falls flat in that aspect for me…

Oddly, Supergirl and Flash do generally great creating that superteam vibe. Supergirl effects can be awful, and the story can have huge wholes but superteam vibe is often edge of your seat great!

Yes, Sisko had better get on creating this version of the suit. The current one is groan worthy…

Legends was too cheesy for me to follow past the first season. SHIELD has consistently been the best comic spin-off show, but I agree that its isolation from other shows/movies/comics is a missed opportunity.

The Gifted, in contrast, is pretty meh on its own, but it sustained my interest through its unabashed invocation of a greater mythology.

I stopped watching this after being disappointed by the Savitar stuff.
How’s season 4 so far, better villain? Less gloomy?

That’s from the comics. This was the character on shield.

I think so, on both counts.

Fun episode this week. Wish Ralph had gotten the orange costume, but at least the purple thing’s gone.

Was so psyched to see Corinne Bohrer reprise her villain role from the old Flash series! And dang, my crush on her hasn’t subsided a bit despite the fact that she’s nearly 60.* She’s always been wonderfully funny and is still really cute. Makes me feel old to see her playing the mother of an adult, though.

• I think I might be the Corinne Bohrer fan club.

I remember that name. I haven’t been keeping up with this season, but that makes me look forward to seeing it when it hits Netflix.