The Flash (CW)

I think the primary problem with the Flash is that the entire gimmick is always “someone who is initially faster than the Flash,” followed by Iris saying, “Run faster Barry - you can do it!” It’s just boring. Yay. He runs really fast. Yay, two blurs chase each other through a cityscape, occasionally stopping when one punches the other.

The problem with this, for me, is that it really negates what is supposed to make Barry interesting. He’s the fastest thing out there, except, nope, he isn’t. Yay Barry.

If they instead focused on attacking his speed from a different angle than “other guy who’s somehow even faster,” I think the show would be much more interesting. Because it wouldn’t make the notion that Barry is the fastest thing in the universe a farce, and would provide more interesting fights than “4th of July sparkler blurs.”

A lot of this last season had very little to do with how fast Barry was, and yet, still so very very dumb.

If I was in charge, first thing I’d do is cut the cast in half, at least. No one in particular I’d target, but they just have to stretch and do such stupid things to keep everyone in the supporting team involved all the times, it’s no wonder the stories are so stupid.

Yeah. To be fair, I didn’t watch the last season (at least I think I didn’t). I stopped after the Savatar “yet another thing faster than Barry” season, because, yeah, it was dumb.

Thing is the Savatar concept could make that work really well. Because the who, and what, of Savatar has a really interesting hook.

One they did not land.

I agree that the cast is too large. I’d actually like to see a run of episodes where Barry is totally on his own with no help from anyone. Like maybe you get some Cisco and Wells time but nothing else at all.

I’m almost caught up from last season. I have two to go. I still really enjoy it, but sometimes in season four they’ve made things kind of silly instead of sweet like the show was in the first couple seasons.

Turns out I can’t watch CW shows while I exercise anymore because the iPad I have mounted in front of my elliptical can’t upgrade past iOS 9, and The CW app was updated sometime this summer to require at least iOS 10.

That means I will almost certainly drop most of them from regular viewing, but I did get around to watching the premiere of Flash.

Spoiler if you haven’t finished last season:

I’m glad Ralph Dibney survived last season, and I hope he gets to stay as a regular team member. His stuff playing catch-up with the team was silly but probably the highlight of the episode. Of course keeping him around just adds to the fundamental problem this show has juggling a big cast. They don’t know how to tell good stories with everyone, but they still try to spread the spotlight around to everyone, and it just drags the whole show down.

I don’t know how much of that is a writing problem and how much of that is a challenge with the cast and overall production. Maybe actors don’t want to stick around for five, six, seven seasons and not eventually feel like they’re co-leads on the show. That seems to happen on a lot of shows, maybe there’s no solving it, but it still sucks.

Joe should be background (and in this episode, he basically was). Iris should be more prominent than Joe, but I’m not convinced her evolution into team leader was worth it. If they can’t find stories to tell about her as a journalist or about Barry and Iris’s marriage, then she probably shouldn’t have much screen time. I don’t mean to reduce her to just another character trait for Barry, her role shouldn’t just be “wife of Flash”, but they are married and they should capitalize on that unique relationship to tell relevant stories, because nothing about her leading the team is convincing.

Ramone should’ve never gotten powers, Caitlyn should’ve had a single, meaningful arc dealing with her transformation into Killer Frost, and it should’ve left her with a fairly stable place on the team—either Frost was something “bad” that they solved and it’s over, or it’s a part of her that she should embrace and have a stable relationship with—it can’t be a question mark and a side-plot to rehash every single season.

I’m not sure what to make of the revolving door of Harrisons, on some level it works, but we don’t know what it will look like this season yet.

Spoiler if you don’t follow casting news:

I’m glad Wally is leaving the show, I’ve never disliked him, but he’s one more thing to juggle and there’s no obvious place for him to fit into the current dynamic.

Cecile and her dumbass psychic schtick should be written out of the show and the memories of every character in a speed force time-travelling accident.

As a Canadian, my options for watching the Flash have changed for this season. CTV, the major Canadian network that broadcast previous seasons, decided not to pick it up this season. Netflix has it in Canada, but I am not a Netflix customer. CW would require me to pay more for my cable and there isn’t really anything on CW that makes it worthwhile.

I will read this thread and make up the episodes in my head based on posts here,.

You may be able to use the CW app, which has recent episodes here in the US. Not sure if they have any region locking that would affect Canada.

I’m on android and the app doesn’t show up in the store.

Must be an Canada thing, not have The CW app. That is a shame.

Well, at least on Netflix, it will be add free.

Well, that sucks. I suppose you could VPN to the US, but at that point it’s probably easier just to wait for the season to end then pick up Netflix for a month and binge it.

To be honest, I think I’m a little burnt out on the Flash. I’d be up for a Ralph Dibney series though.

Lots of negativity up thread, so I’ll shine a bit of light into the gloom by saying that the first couple of episodes this season have been fun. Although part of that is the focus on XS who I always liked in the comics. If “too many characters” is your complaint, this season is not for you, it’s expanding. But as far as good comic book TV, I think it’s been a good start to the new season.

I’ve liked the season so far, even though it is missing some of what I’ve liked in the previous seasons. Ralph Dibney is doing his best to make up for that, though. Wells if that wasn’t obvious.

I think the guy who played the Thinker last season did a great job, so I forgive the season for all the other transgressions (imagined or otherwise).

Agreed 100%. Fun start.

I enjoyed the twist this week. Seems like a fun schtick for the season for the team to deal with other stuff than meta-humans.

This may be my least favorite version of Wells, though. Much preferred brooding antisocial genius and social/creative but dumb versions. Still, any Tom Cavanagh is better than none.

I agree on both accounts.

Am a Nora fan. I want Harry back (doesn’t everyone, though?). Papa Joe West is out for a while with a real-life back injury, which sucks. I was wondering why we never got a shot where he wasn’t sitting down (with the single exception of leaning against a door frame).

Also not a big Sherloque Wells fan here.

Spidey-Ralph was hilarious. That is all.